Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Newbie with lots of questions

Hello,
I’m new. My parents are looking at a Jayco and Catalina coachmen’s (they thought the quality looked much better then any others)

They want a TT as they worry about the height of the Fifth wheels and truck needs. Dad is already pretty set on gettting a new f-250 TV.

I know they want to take us. My husband my self and our children ages 6, 3 and 1. I know my mom loved the 29rks jayflight layout (the kitchen and all the windows) she liked the 306rkds but the cost difference worth it (only noticed the chairs swivel and some small changes like that) they originally thought well one child sleep with them, one with us on the trifold and other two on dinette or even the 1 year old in a pack n play. I know we will need a way to make sleeping more comfortable foam topper ect..
My husband goes I’d sleep in the recliner if I had to (he’s done this at home due to acid reflux)
He says to camp at Disney he’s sleep in the floor ! Lol

They said they think dealer stock you get a better deal?
And is
White hawk aluminum better?

Thanks in advance
Wonder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Welcome!!!

As for which brand would we suggest going with, you are on a brand specific site!!! Lol

Honestly, we chose between a Catalina and Jay Flight, and the Jay Flight won. We bought our rig almost 3yrs ago, so maybe things have changed, not sure.

We also thought the Jayco was a little better quality wise.

One thing I found with the rigs we were considering (rig is in signature) is the Jayco had 2-5200lb rated axles, with a 9975lb gvwr for the trailer. Gvwr means the max weight the trailer and anything you add inside it should weigh per the manufacture.

The Coachmen had 2-4400lb axles, but still had a ~95XXlb gvwr. What Coachmen did was add some of the tw (tongue weight) that is carried by the tv (tow vehicle) on the hitch, to the axles for a higher gvwr. Personally I prefer having a little higher rated axles under the rig.

As for which model may be best, it’s tough deciding!!! I would suggest spending some time inside each rig with as many of the family as possible, to try to decide if one model will work better for the family. Possible at least a 1/2hr in each model if possible.

And yes, usually buying off the lot will result in a better price. Some dealers are better than others price wise. Some dealers will give almost the same price for a special order, depending on how well you negotiate.

Hopefully this helps a little!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Thanks!
Yes, I know that. Lol I joined cause they are fairly set on Jayco.

I’m trying to figure what we need for
4 adults. 3 children under the age of 6. Like I said my parents said they can take a child in with them, my husband and I one with us. And the baby in pack in play. I know my mom loves the kitchen and windows in the 29rks. The dealer has a 2017 deal on a White Hawk 28dsbh. They are also looking at 29bhs. Catalina version is
29bhsle 2019.

The 2018 should be dropping in price cause 2019 rolling in?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder05 View Post
. . . The 2018 should be dropping in price cause 2019 rolling in?
With the 2019's already on the lots, I'd shoot for 35% or more off MSRP on the 2018's. Be sure to verify the MSRP based on the manufacturer generated "build sheet" with the VIN shown. Don't trust a dealer generated MSRP.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

Dealers do discount more the longer a rig is on their lot.

Which trailer is whatever floor plan and features look the best for them. We picked ours based on floor plan, not mfg.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
With the 2019's already on the lots, I'd shoot for 35% or more off MSRP on the 2018's. Be sure to verify the MSRP based on the manufacturer generated "build sheet" with the VIN shown. Don't trust a dealer generated MSRP.
Thanks! how do I find that information ?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

F250 is a excellent choice. Be sure to get all trailering options available. Then the gas or diesel quandary. Other top end TT's are Arctic Fox, Grand Design, ORV. Jayco does have a large dealer network which is a huge plus if you have the typical list of problems with new trailers.
If possible hold the final check until the problems found on your delivery inspection are fixed. They will be more apt to take care of your problems very quickly.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Also, he was told they have
Three kinds. The
One where you don’t take the bars off its built in where the hitch handles it keeps from going up and down, most expensive and he thinks of going with that one. My father mentioned the hail sale as it said online and they guy said the Deeply reduced it doe sale due to some hail damage to siding. But the insurance guys where out and nothings wrong. 2018 mind you at $27,000. Dad did the math and he wants to leave with $23,000. Said mfg on dealer site $7,000 off manufacture. Not sure how accurate that is. I wanted to be like show me the hail damage.
Inside I noticed that the microfiber couch (loveseat ) cushion was more filled on the one side pushing me forward.

But what has me concerned is the dealer. I know mom was talking about this place and we liked their attitude and honesty.
But since they are further out and service center is dirty dad wants to go to this closet place. And the dealer said they are full. They are holding a trailer for a guy that purchased yesterday because he doesn’t have storage yet. And said they’d do the same for dad. He asked dad what truck and then said Oh that’s plenty. Honestly I get the feeling he World have said that about a 150. He piped up at one point and said they don’t have a list but first come , first serve. Where keystone said they recommend you spend your first night at their campground next door. So as any problems or questions you can have answered in the morning.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You are the buyer try to stay in control, it is your money they want. Just show the list of your demands. Buy what makes your family happy and also with the quality of service you want.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

I hate to throw you this at you so late in your process, but if I had an F250 and was looking for a camper for a large herd, I'd be looking at a toy hauler that is under 40'. 5th wheels tow significantly easier even my 60 yr old wife tows are 40'. Most toy haulers have two queen beds in the rear and one in the front. They can carry a large amount of stuff that a family might need and who's needs change as they get older. I've camped for over 50 years in just about everything, and I think you might enjoy a toy hauler.
WIBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #11

A Jayco selling point is the 2 year warranty. It is a good warranty and they back it up. I know this from experience.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

I guess I would question the TT vs fifth wheel. Yes, fifth wheels are higher, but, are also more stable, especially when you get to the 30ft and longer. You can tow a 'high' fifth wheel in winds that I would not tow any TT. Yes, if you want a trailer larger than 35ft you will probably want a 1T so you don't have to worry about truck capacities.

But, if steps are a problem, then a low TT might be the best solution, and just be more careful driving.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder05 View Post
Thanks! how do I find that information ?
Ask the dealer for the manufacturer's build sheet. It's a simple print-out with the VIN, retail base price of the unit, each option itemized with its retail price, freight charges, and then the final total, or MSRP.

Your best protection against a dealer generated (or inflated) MSRP, is to compare build sheets from several dealers with the same make and model. If the numbers don't match (with the exception of the freight charges), then something may be amiss. You can also visit the Jayco website to compare numbers; however, have to keep in mind Jayco may not always update their website regularly, plus if it's an older production unit pricing may have changed.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
A Jayco selling point is the 2 year warranty. It is a good warranty and they back it up. I know this from experience.
The warranty is a plus...........you will probably need it. If you read through the forum it seems that quality control goes down as the demand goes up for Trailers.
I've been seeing a lot of issues with doors that don't fit..........gaps. Suspension failures etc etc. If you have a serious problem I have seen where buyers have had their units in the shop for extended stays........several month wait for warranty work, weeks in the shop for repairs.
If you are thinking high end Jayco you might want to check out Arctic Fox and my favorite ORV.
I'm afraid the only Jayco I would seriously consider would be a 2 or 3 year old model that someone owned that I trust that has all the initial problems taken care of.
I'm afraid as long as the demand stays high for new the factory will rush them out as quickly as possible..................we all know what suffers when things are rushed...............the consumer.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #15

X2 on the Jayco warranty if you purchase new. That gives you 2 camping seasons to find and fix any issues. I’ve bought new TT’s in the past and it puts pressure on you to find any issues during that 1st year so you can get them taken care of before the one year warranty runs out. If you find a rig without any problems then more power to you. But as this forum and many other forums can attest that will be the exception rather than the rule. Determine your budget and then go out and find a few floor plans you like and be as informed as you can. It’s not a wealth strategy investment, it’s a lifestyle investment. If you make your purchase after doing all your homework then you are less likely to second guess yourself afterwards. Don’t be afraid to continue to ask questions. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
X2 on the Jayco warranty if you purchase new. That gives you 2 camping seasons to find and fix any issues. I’ve bought new TT’s in the past and it puts pressure on you to find any issues during that 1st year so you can get them taken care of before the one year warranty runs out. If you find a rig without any problems then more power to you. But as this forum and many other forums can attest that will be the exception rather than the rule. Determine your budget and then go out and find a few floor plans you like and be as informed as you can. It’s not a wealth strategy investment, it’s a lifestyle investment. If you make your purchase after doing all your homework then you are less likely to second guess yourself afterwards. Don’t be afraid to continue to ask questions. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Great suggestions and observations. I would also do a inspection of the home you're thinking of with a experienced TT owner. Any flaws found should be noted in the final contract with a firm date to have it taken care of.
Camping out in their lot or a very nearby area the first night would be advisable also. That way if you have initial problems or questions you can return to the dealer to have it taken care of.
IF.......... you like many have to leave your TT at the dealer for any length of time they will most likely have you sign a service agreement. In the agreement (most) will have that the dealer is not responsible for damage or loss while on their lot. I would scratch that out and have their service mgr. initial it. More than one TT has been backed into or sideswiped while sitting in the "back forty" of the dealer's lot waiting for service.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #17

For not much more maybe consider a 1 ton F350! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264bhok, 29rks, modern farmhouse