Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #21

If you want a KOA I highly recommend looking at the one in Lewiston NY. We camp at both GI and Lewiston every year and hands-down prefer Lewiston over Grand Island. Grand Island has a much longer season so it's an early or late season choice for us. The road noise from the road and highway can be overwhelming at times. The campground is about a 10 minute drive from the falls.

Grand Island is your rubber-stamp typical KOA. Its very clean and well organized, but very "corporate" and the owners are not on-site. Been there multiple times and have always had some kind of problem. This year we had no picnic table (had to carry our own from another site) and the water ran brown for a good 15 seconds. A couple years before it was a pile of broken trash bags filling our fire pit.

And my personal "favorite" was the time we arrived after dark has such a badly unlevel site I had to hitch up TWICE and used every lego leveler and even some firewood pieces to get the camper to level. It was the only time I ever complained about a site and they offered us nothing. Well almost…. The day we were leaving one of the yellow shirts came by on a golf cart less than 5 minutes past checkout (as we were packing up) and told us we would be charged for another night if we didn't leave "immediately". My response was do that and I dispute all charges for the stay. They backed off and eventually apologized.

As for Lewiston, it is a quiet and out of the way family owned campground. The owners are very friendly and attentive and the place is very clean and well maintained. It's not as kid-friendly as Grand Island, there's a small playground but I don't think they have the kids activities that Grand Island has. But if you have no kids, Lewiston is hands-down your best bet. This one is a little farther out, about a 15 minute drive from the falls.

If you choose Lewiston or 4-Mile Creek, be sure to stop by Sanger Farms in Lewiston on your way to the falls. It's a farm with pick-your-own options (in season) and also a cafe and bakery that is open 7 days a week. They have outstanding baked goods (their tarts are to die for) and also serve a mean breakfast and dinner. Try the breakfast sandwiches if you are in a hurry. Prices are very reasonable.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #22
RPR

Canada campgrounds business booming with Canadian RVers not being able to cross the boarder. And now back to Niagara..........
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I am looking to get up there next year; we were looking hard at this campground:

Branches of Niagra

Anybody visit this one?
We spent 3-4 nights there 2 years ago. The facilities are excellent - bathrooms are immaculate, the store is great, and the amenities are one of the most enjoyable we've ever encountered - pool, zipline, activities, beach, etc. It's really the only place where my family used the facilities extensively.

We've been eager to go back. For amazing campground, the sites itself are pretty average.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
If you want a KOA I highly recommend looking at the one in Lewiston NY. We camp at both GI and Lewiston every year and hands-down prefer Lewiston over Grand Island. Grand Island has a much longer season so it's an early or late season choice for us. The road noise from the road and highway can be overwhelming at times. The campground is about a 10 minute drive from the falls.

Grand Island is your rubber-stamp typical KOA. Its very clean and well organized, but very "corporate" and the owners are not on-site. Been there multiple times and have always had some kind of problem. This year we had no picnic table (had to carry our own from another site) and the water ran brown for a good 15 seconds. A couple years before it was a pile of broken trash bags filling our fire pit.

And my personal "favorite" was the time we arrived after dark has such a badly unlevel site I had to hitch up TWICE and used every lego leveler and even some firewood pieces to get the camper to level. It was the only time I ever complained about a site and they offered us nothing. Well almost…. The day we were leaving one of the yellow shirts came by on a golf cart less than 5 minutes past checkout (as we were packing up) and told us we would be charged for another night if we didn't leave "immediately". My response was do that and I dispute all charges for the stay. They backed off and eventually apologized.

As for Lewiston, it is a quiet and out of the way family owned campground. The owners are very friendly and attentive and the place is very clean and well maintained. It's not as kid-friendly as Grand Island, there's a small playground but I don't think they have the kids activities that Grand Island has. But if you have no kids, Lewiston is hands-down your best bet. This one is a little farther out, about a 15 minute drive from the falls.

If you choose Lewiston or 4-Mile Creek, be sure to stop by Sanger Farms in Lewiston on your way to the falls. It's a farm with pick-your-own options (in season) and also a cafe and bakery that is open 7 days a week. They have outstanding baked goods (their tarts are to die for) and also serve a mean breakfast and dinner. Try the breakfast sandwiches if you are in a hurry. Prices are very reasonable.
And at the Lewiston KOA, you are just a hop. skip and a jump from Model City NY, home of "Modern Mountain". (Huge garbage dump owned by Modern Disposal next to CWM- Chemical Waste Management. CWM dump site for Manhattan project.)
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #25

We've camped at Golden Hills State park along the shore of Lake Ontario. It is about an hour from Niagara Falls along some pretty country roads. The campground is quiet and nice. Most sites are electric. There is a light house right at the park. There are also Bald Eagles, turkeys and deer that frequent the area.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unfortunately COVID has things messed up, but we always liked Scotts on the Canadian side.

https://www.campingatscotts.com/
Is the border still closed?
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #27

We stayed at the Grand Island KOA, nice lake with campsites around the outside, well kept and clean facilities. Just a short drive to the Falls.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Its funny because the Canadian lockdown has been quite severe. In the US, the degree of lockdown and the covid casualties has not correlated well. The open states are doing better than the locked down ones.

Your PM better be prepared to lose a lot of tourist revenue. I know I for one have no plans to go north on vacation.....maybe not ever!
Our PM is unprepared for just about everything. He's a drama teacher with no skills to be running a country. Unfortunately, more Canadians want a young and hip PM who is drowning in scandals, over a PM who has an economic background.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #29

We stayed at Branches. Little further out. Used a tour company that picked up and returned. Covered tickets for all the hot spots.
Pinnacle Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #30

We stayed at the KOA Niagra Falls on the Canadian side. It was very nice and on the bus line. However that was in 2005.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #31

Don’t much care what politicians want but this Canadian wants the border closed until we have things under control. We can’t wait to go someplace but we will wait
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #32

Sad that the border is still closed because the view of the falls from the Canadian side is so awesome.
We stayed @ the KOA Niagara Falls Holiday on the Canadian side 3 years ago and it was a very nice park.
johnharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeman View Post
People I am seeking info and recommendations on a RV park near Niagara Falls. I would like to plan a trip to the falls and asking for your assistance, I would appreciate any recommendations on a RV park or any suggestions Thank you.
FYI - for the campgrounds on Grand Island (i.e., Branches, Niagara Falls/GI KOA, etc.), be aware there's a toll to get onto the Island (both entering from the North and South). So every time you leave the island you'll need to pay the toll to get back on.
It's now cashless, so if you don't have an EZ-Pass, they send you a bill or there's a phone # to call and the toll is more than EZ-Pass holder.

Also there's AA Royal Motel & Campground, it's not on the island but is just as close to Niagara Falls and a fraction of the price that Branches & Niagara Falls/GI KOA charge and it has full hook-up sites if that's what you're looking for.

4 Mile Creek is a very nice campground - only Electric sites thought and maybe difficult to get a site. NYS SP seemed to be booked up since last year they opened up the reservation window to 1 year in advance.

The Canadian side of the falls is the best view. I've heard you can walk across the Rainbow Bridge to get to the Canadian side, but don't quote me on that, not 100% sure if that's true.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
The Canadian side of the falls is the best view. I've heard you can walk across the Rainbow Bridge to get to the Canadian side, but don't quote me on that, not 100% sure if that's true.

Good luck and safe travels.
Yes, you can walk across the Rainbow bridge during normal times, but during COVID, you will not be allowed across.

Once things open up, you can see everything on the Canadian side by walking across
Old 05-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Is the border still closed?
Yes, so don't plan on visiting Ontario until maybe Fall at the earliest. Their Covid casualties are thru the roof and they don't want Americans to visit.

Regardless, we can all camp elsewhere. The US side of Niagara Falls is a good second choice.

The irony of the situation is that many Americans have cottages in Ontario and their properties have been left dormant for a year now because they can't come over to take care of them.

The REAL irony is that Canada is now considering to add a tax to properties that are owned by Americans.

Personally, I will NEVER set foot on the ground in Canada ever again, much less spend any of my hard earned money over there.

Y'all may have different opinions.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I am looking to get up there next year; we were looking hard at this campground:

Branches of Niagra

Anybody visit this one?
In 2015, during a NE and Canada Trip, we stayed at Branches (we had a Class A DP at the time). The place was great. The only issue I had was my coach rear two levelers sank into the ground during a heavy rain the first night. I went to a Local ACE and purchased a 8 foot 2x6, they cut it for me into 4 2 foot lengths. I put them under the rear jacks and all was fine. If I go back to Niagara Falls I will stay there again.
-Russ
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #37

Niagara Falls area

Branches RV park on Grand Island 10 minutes from the falls is a great park. Nice dog run clean rest rooms and everything from complete hook ups to cabins and tenting. Lake for fishing.
mballca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Yes, so don't plan on visiting Ontario until maybe Fall at the earliest. Their Covid casualties are thru the roof and they don't want Americans to visit.

Regardless, we can all camp elsewhere. The US side of Niagara Falls is a good second choice.

The irony of the situation is that many Americans have cottages in Ontario and their properties have been left dormant for a year now because they can't come over to take care of them.

The REAL irony is that Canada is now considering to add a tax to properties that are owned by Americans.

Personally, I will NEVER set foot on the ground in Canada ever again, much less spend any of my hard earned money over there.

Y'all may have different opinions.
Hopefully, when we get a new government one day, you will change your mind. Be happy you don't have to live here.

The reason we have no vaccines and the hospitals are overrun is because Trudeau was too busy cozying up with China early on in the pandemic, instead of of preordering vaccines from the USA and Europe. He actually had the audacity to say that he likes China's dictatorship!! Trudeau is a real nut job, but unfortunately he promised to legalize cannabis and so he was voted in. You can see where the majority of Canadians' priorities lie.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Hopefully, when we get a new government one day, you will change your mind. Be happy you don't have to live here.

The reason we have no vaccines and the hospitals are overrun is because Trudeau was too busy cozying up with China early on in the pandemic, instead of of preordering vaccines from the USA and Europe. He actually had the audacity to say that he likes China's dictatorship!! Trudeau is a real nut job, but unfortunately he promised to legalize cannabis and so he was voted in. You can see where the majority of Canadians' priorities lie.
I truly sympathize with you all. My family had summer homes in Ontario since the 1940's. Fully 25% of the family is (was) Canadian, going back 3 generations.

I understand current politics, but as far as our family holdings, it goes back further than the epidemic.

Regardless of all the current events, as an American I was always made to feel second class, even though I spent 100% of my vacation dollars in Ontario.

Regardless, y'all will always be by cousins up north.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #40

Both 4mile Creek and Golden Hill NYS campgrounds have been mentioned. I camp at each of these campgrounds and have for a while now. 4 Mile is the closer of the two to NF. Nice clean park and has many sites. Some of them don't have electricity. They also have some sites open through out this summer. That can't be said for Golden Hill. I was looking at the campground for an additional camping trip toward the end of July. Nothing. Back to 4 Mile. It is close enough to NF so it's an easy quick trip down the Robert Moses Parkway to I-190 then a straight shot to NF. Only problem with the parkway is that it is poorly maintained. Last year, it was rough and depending on what your towing, you may not be able to do 55. Once you hit Lewiston however, it's a nice road.
dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote