Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

nitrogen in 5th wheel trailer tires

We have a 2018 Eagle 5th wheel that we have pulled about 11,000 miles over the past year. The tire valves on the trailer have green caps. It is my understanding that this indicates they are filled with nitrogen. The tires have not lost any pressure since we purchased it 20 months ago

My questions is: What should I do if one of them does lose pressure? Can you fill it up with standard air or do I need to find a place with nitrogen?
I have no idea where to find a place to fill them up with nitrogen.

Thanks for your guidance.
RMRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #2

My 2018 Jayco also had "green valve", Nitrogen in the tires. But later in the year they were just a tad off. I was unable to find anyone in our area that could fill them. The main comment I heard, and then realized is that atmospheric air is nearly 80% Nitrogen, so topping off with a bit of "air" doesn't significantly reduce the benefit.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

Standard air is about 77% nitrogen - so it is not a significant difference Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Nitrogen = Great markup for the dealer.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

RV 's are delivered to dealers with the tires a bit low for transport anyway. So before you even buy it the dealer has topped them off with regular air. Just refill them with regular air, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

If you review the physical properties of air vs N2 in the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, you would assume that N2 is a gimmick. But after having N2 put in my car tires for the past 8 or 10 years, real life experience indicates that the assumption is not correct.

Many large volume tire dealers use N2. If I need a pressure change I would go out of my way to go there.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Nitrogen = Great markup for the dealer.

Costco puts nitrogen in tires at no charge. Actually tires installed were less than any other dealer. I do understand some places do charge for nitrogen. I wouldn't pay for nitrogen myself.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

Every hvac service company should have nitrogen they would sale ya !
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #9

If you think Nitrogen is a 'gimmick', leave it in 2 tires and replace with air in the other 2. Go back and check them 4-6 months later and see which ones lost 3-7 psi.
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

Nitrogen inflation is more myth than fact. First off, unless the tire is completely evacuated of the air that is inside when it is unmounted, there will still be oxygen inside the tire. It is extremely doubtful that any tire dealer or car manufacturer purges the gas inside tires to insure they are 100% nitrogen filled. Second, Oxygen molecules are actually larger than nitrogen so they are less likely to migrate out of the tire. NASCAR teams use nitrogen because it allows them to more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Nitrogen fluctuates with temperature change, but it does so less than when water vapor is present. Compressed air usually contains some level of moisture. Bottled nitrogen general does not contain moisture.

If you are looking for a culprit for slow leaks on tires look at the wheel weights. Aluminum wheels are anodized to prevent corrosion. The clip on weights commonly used on aluminum rims for balancing cut through the thin anodize layer exposing the aluminum to moisture and galvanic action with the steel clip. Some car manufacturers (Honda) have switched to stick on wheel balancing weights which eliminate this problem. I've had zero problems since I started insisting on stick on weights when I have wheels and tires balanced.