Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

No Garden Hose Fittings at Dump Station

The state park that I frequent has built a brand new dump site. Very nice except there is no place to hook up a garden hose to flush out my tanks. All they have is this goofy spring loaded tower with a short hose attached to it and a right angle nozzle at the end. There is no way to hook up a proper garden hose without inventing some sort of contraption with hose clamps and rubber adapters.

Has anyone else run across this? I have to think its some sort of useless state code to stop people from sticking the hose into any nasty spots that might actually need cleaning.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

I think a lot of the dump stations intend for the hose to be used to clean up any "spillage", not used to clean the RV tanks. I always have a "black hose" and "black water thief" in the trailer for just this issue.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

There is a product called a Water Bandit or Water Thief that has a flexible/stretchable end with a hose connector at the other end. (I couldn't get the link to work for me. Sorry)

I have one but haven't had to use it for that purpose.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #4

It would seem that someone has already invented my "contraption"!

So far I've put off the tank rinsing 'till I get home. I'm lucky; I have a way to dump into the sewer right along my driveway.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #5

I need to get one of these too...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Team

bought one years ago but have never been happy with it. Seems like my feet always get wet when I use it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

That's done in most cases so people don't fill their fresh water tanks from that faucet.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

The ones at Michigan state parks are threaded fittings and I often unscrew them to hook up the black tank flush, something using tools if I have to.

Probably wouldn't hurt to mention it to the campground staff. Maybe they don't know about the increasing number of rigs with black tank flush.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Very nice except there is no place to hook up a garden hose to flush out my tanks. All they have is this goofy spring loaded tower with a short hose attached to it and a right angle nozzle at the end. There is no way to hook up a proper garden hose without inventing some sort of contraption with hose clamps and rubber adapters.

Has anyone else run across this? I have to think its some sort of useless state code to stop people from sticking the hose into any nasty spots that might actually need cleaning.
I have a feeling that it is likely intended to speed up the process of dumping tanks. Too many people like to polish the inside of their tanks, get them nice and sparkly clean so that they can literally fill it with poop again next time. That is fine and dandy if you want to do that on your own time and your own dime.

I don't think the state park wants to pay for 3 or 4 times the water so that someone can polish the tanks. That is a lot of water usage.

Furthermore, I would venture a guess that there are limited dump sites at the state park and they don't want to encourage long lines of impatient RV'ers waiting for the guy in front to finish polishing his tank.

The objective is to drain your waste, use that section of hose to flush out your hose and flush out any debris that may have splattered outside on the ground.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I have a feeling that it is likely intended to speed up the process of dumping tanks. Too many people like to polish the inside of their tanks, get them nice and sparkly clean so that they can literally fill it with poop again next time. That is fine and dandy if you want to do that on your own time and your own dime.

I don't think the state park wants to pay for 3 or 4 times the water so that someone can polish the tanks. That is a lot of water usage.

Furthermore, I would venture a guess that there are limited dump sites at the state park and they don't want to encourage long lines of impatient RV'ers waiting for the guy in front to finish polishing his tank.

The objective is to drain your waste, use that section of hose to flush out your hose and flush out any debris that may have splattered outside on the ground.
Agree 100% my local RV dump station has the same spring arm contraption and I believe you are spot on with your assessment. If nobody is waiting however, I will hook my rinse hose to it and flush my black tank. It's $6 to use the dump station

Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote