Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #21

We do have some public parks here that have sections of seasonal sites. Many people leave their rigs there for the season, but others only show up for the times they want and then pull out when they aren't there.

They've paid for the site for the entire or part season, so they don't have to be on the site all the time.

I could see this kind of thing happening with snowbirds a lot in Florida; have a home base, but maybe head down to the Keys for a week and then return.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
Site Team

I think the op was talking about short term sites. We camp in many parks with seasonals and they can come and go if the park allows it but the site is theirs for the season. They usually pay for the power on a metered basis also.

Usually they can not be sublet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #23

We stayed at Grand Canyon Trailer Village for a long Labor Day weekend in 2017. Ended up leaving late afternoon one day early. When we went by the office to check out around 4pm, they said we missed the ~2pm(?) late checkout time, so the site was paid for and ours for the final night. My guess is it sat empty overnight since it was paid for.

The park looked pretty full that weekend, not 1/3 empty as the OP noted. Most people seemed to keep their end-of-summer holiday weekend reservation and use it.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #24

Yes, I referring to short term sites at National Parks.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
This country has gone far too long without a recession. People have too much money that they don't know what to do with. A recession as part of the normal economic cycle will return some normalcy to situations like this.
So you think people should suffer under a recession because some people have too much money and you wantthem todo that so you canget a camping site. Takesall kinds I guess.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #26

My opinion on this is different than most here it seems. My family and I book our sites (all NY state parks) 6-8 months in advance and at one private park we book a year in advance. We understand that if we want certain sites, we need to book in advance. Since we book that far out, we can not forecast what will happen with our life by then...maybe one of us gets sick, maybe one of us loses a job, maybe one of our other family members passes on...you never know. That being said, if we forget to cancel our reservation, the few bucks lost will never be missed. I will say, I don't think we have ever missed a camping trip in over 15 years. I have over-booked before and then realized I simply didn't have enough vacation time so we have had to adjust schedules. by simply shortening trips but that was done far in advance of the trip.

We have also taken spur-of-the-moment trips and know that once we get to our destination, there may not be sites with hookups. We go knowing we will probably be on non-electric sites. It doesn't matter to us, we are still camping! We have also seen plenty of sites that sit empty and are reserved and all I hope for is that they simply had a ball game for one of the kids...not that one of them are hurt badly and that is why they didn't show up.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #27

Quote:
This country has gone far too long without a recession. People have too much money that they don't know what to do with. A recession as part of the normal economic cycle will return some normalcy to situations like this.
Not sure where you are located, but here in central NY, we still haven't come completely out of the last recession!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:
I cannot stand the systems the NPs and most SPs use, but I won't wish a recession on us all. I think they could just find a better penalty for reservation abusers.

The part I hate the most is the charge for online cancellation. There isn't much incentive on some sites to cancel a $18-26 dollar site, when they charge you $10 to do it.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
....snip

The part I hate the most is the charge for online cancellation. There isn't much incentive on some sites to cancel a $18-26 dollar site, when they charge you $10 to do it.
My math says $8 to $16. I can do that for a couple of clicks on the old laptop.

We make our in advance many times just to be sure we have a site. Then I lurk for sites in my real choice for cancellations and make them. Then I go back and cancel the 2nd choice site if needed.

"If you do not master your circumstances, you will be mastered by them"

Amor Towles - A Gentleman in Moscow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #30

My experience tells me you are one of the few. The Full campground last week was 1/3 empty almost every night. And that particular campground didn't reserve individual sites.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
So you think people should suffer under a recession because some people have too much money and you wantthem todo that so you canget a camping site. Takesall kinds I guess.
Yeah, that's not what I said at all, but you have a real nice day jumping to conclusions, now.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Since we book that far out, we can not forecast what will happen with our life by then...maybe one of us gets sick, maybe one of us loses a job, maybe one of our other family members passes on...you never know. That being said, if we forget to cancel our reservation, the few bucks lost will never be missed. I will say, I don't think we have ever missed a camping trip in over 15 years. I have over-booked before and then realized I simply didn't have enough vacation time so we have had to adjust schedules. by simply shortening trips but that was done far in advance of the trip.

We have also taken spur-of-the-moment trips and know that once we get to our destination, there may not be sites with hookups. We go knowing we will probably be on non-electric sites. It doesn't matter to us, we are still camping! We have also seen plenty of sites that sit empty and are reserved and all I hope for is that they simply had a ball game for one of the kids...not that one of them are hurt badly and that is why they didn't show up.
Oh I certainly understand that. Life happens. But that's not really what's happening with the majority of these booked but empty sites. The reality for WI state parks used to be that one could reserve a total of 21 days on a site. So to get a prime weekend people would book a site for 21 days and show up to use it on the 3 nights at the end of the reservation that they really wanted. Money to throw around and who cares? No one on the site for the previous 18 days. Literally this was happening with at least 50% of the sites in popular parks. So those of us who couldn't afford to shell out a couple of hundred for a few nights would either get nothing or have to choose a time that was not the best for us. This is why they implemented the occupancy requirement. It's much easier to get a desired site now.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #33

Life happens indeed. The message here is please cancel. Even though you won't miss the money, someone else will miss the opportunity to enjoy that unused spot.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #34

No Room at RV Park: Poor behavior by RV'ers

The Occupancy requirement is great for anything longer than a weekend, but that's just what I have problems getting. Most of our trips to state parks and such are just Fri-Sun trips. If I can't get the space any one of those nights, I can't use it for ANY of them.

So if the reservation is for Fri-Sun, and they don't show up, the site gets released Saturday which does me no good. There would have to be a first day occupancy requirement, and that's not really feasible in most cases. Especially given the distances people have to travel necessitating "late arrivals" accommodation.

All that being said, I have had private parks call me the day of my arrival to ensure I'm on my way, or to get an ETA. That's kind of nice, but still, that's on the day of arrival. If I told them I wasn't coming, it's unlikely they would be able to "sell" my space again, and I would most definitely be "out" the entire reservation cost.

Also, I have NO PROBLEM letting people slide when life happens. I've had to cancel reservations at the last minute before too. Believe me, I would rather have been camping!! But I think the problem is much more widespread than the occasional "stuff happens" cancellation. People abuse the system, which makes it MUCH more difficult for everyone else to use.

All of this is why our "peak" season has historically been September to December. The kids are back in school, so things "loosen" up a bit. But we only have a couple more years of that before our little one is in school too. It's already tightening up quite a bit with the normal events of this time of year. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we're going to be able to visit some of the more popular "attractions" that we'll only be able to get to during the summer, when EVERYONE else is trying to get there...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #35

Yep, we also see “full parks” that have lots of empty sites...

Maybe instead of writing here, we should start to write or email the parks when we encounter this and suggest they alter their policies. That way we could give specific numbers and details on the vacant sites.

We are sometimes late to register at a site or even arrive after hours (because we have to load out after a show and travel to another area of the state for the next show) so we always call when we know this will happen and the park staff is always accommodating.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
If that's the way it works then can we also have a very large crash in house prices? Only way my kids will be able to afford one anywhere near a large Canadian city.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #37

Run into this all the time at Clarks Hill Ga. I look for a site my 89 year old mom can get around. All are reserved. Then we go and no shows for a site we needed. A lot of campground have a no show or 24 hour cancellation policy, you pay one night. That doesn't do us much good trying to see where we can go in a couple of weeks.
I'm for the no show/cancel 2 times in a row and the next time you pay for the whole time you reserve 1st before you can make a reservation.
ml4moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I always cancel if something comes up.Would rather lose 20 bucks than lose the whole shooting match!Not to speak of the shortage of camp spots. Thanks
I also always cancel. To me, it does not seem fair to keep the space and not be there. I usually pay a small price to cancel, but get a refund for the rest. I can't afford to spend money on a spot I am not I.
mafuma,52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Interesting idea. However, I don't think a recession will change people's inherent behavior...
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #40

No room at RV Park

Camped at Valley of Fire state park in NV and saw a person remove reserved tags and moved into a paid space. Park was considered full and although the single spaces are quite large and have 2 water hook ups, saw stranger try to also gain access to occupied sites because they thought it should be for two. Seems like campers are getting ruder