Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Camped at Valley of Fire state park in NV and saw a person remove reserved tags and moved into a paid space. Park was considered full and although the single spaces are quite large and have 2 water hook ups, saw stranger try to also gain access to occupied sites because they thought it should be for two. Seems like campers are getting ruder
We camped lakeside in a 2 vehicles wide site this year, in NM. We left the site and came back to find a day-use car had parked on the pavement half under our awning. So, it isn't just campers . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #42

Yes, thats quite irritating. Ive seen the same thing at forest service campgrounds too. Unfortunately there's not much to be done about it. I honestly wish that the FS would limit the reservation system to 1/4 of the campground sites. or just make one campground for reservations, and leave the rest first come.

Another sore spot for me are some of the locals who haul their RVs to the nearest Natl. forest to boondock, and let them sit for 14 days while only occupying them on the weekends. They have to move them after 14 days, but how far, im not sure.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #43

I Wonder how many hotels rooms go unused....

I get what people are saying... frustrating but not sure they're is a way to make everyone happy option
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I Wonder how many hotels rooms go unused....

I get what people are saying... frustrating but not sure they're is a way to make everyone happy option
I have no idea, but every hotel I have ever made a reservation at had a much more friendly cancellation policy.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #45

I haven't seen anybody's post stating they were turned away from a campground due to this topic. Only people complaining about empty sites while staying at said campground ? Who cares we're camping people enjoy yourselves and worry less about why the site next to you is empty ! That's my 2 cents everyone can't be happy all the time .
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
I haven't seen anybody's post stating they were turned away from a campground due to this topic. Only people complaining about empty sites while staying at said campground ? Who cares we're camping people enjoy yourselves and worry less about why the site next to you is empty ! That's my 2 cents everyone can't be happy all the time .
That's all fine and good, except that I (and many others) must make plans weeks or months in advance. So when I go to reserve a site at a park, and all sites have been reserved, I can't go. Knowing that many of those sites will go unoccupied by people who made the reservation just so they could get one, and then don't cancel it when they know they won't make it frustrates me greatly. And I cannot afford to just go out anyway on the hope that someone won't show up and the park will let me occupy a previously reserved site.

I agree with the strategy that if you short-cancel or no-show reservations, there should be a monetary as well as a process consequence for that action. If you no-show or short-cancel more than two reservations, the reservation system should block or limit your access. Right now the consequences are pretty slight for these shenanigans, and until that changes, we'll have these problems.

Last year IIRC, I had to short-cancel a reservation at a TX State park because MIL was in the ICU. When I went to cancel the reservation, the person I spoke with looked at my record and saw that I had not cancelled or no-showed a reservation in many years, so she refunded my money. It was nice to see that someone was looking at reservation behavior.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #47

You can always go seasonal ....and you will always have a site ! I've played the game as well used to book all of my trips in dec and jan. If you cant book that far out then its nobody's problem but yours. Early bird gets the worm. My point is we're lucky to get the trips we get so make the most !
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #48

Quote:
You can always go seasonal ....and you will always have a site ! I've played the game as well used to book all of my trips in dec and jan. If you cant book that far out then its nobody's problem but yours. Early bird gets the worm. My point is we're lucky to get the trips we get so make the most !
And if you're the "early bird" who's actually occupying all the sites you reserve, then you're not part of the problem. More power to you, I hope you have a great trip.

But if you're reserving a bunch of sites months in advance, and have no intent on using many of them (throw it up there and see what sticks), and you say "oh well, no big deal if I don't cancel", then you ARE part of the problem. I think in TX (at least it was) if you no-show, you're out the first night's rent. That can be as little as $15 or as much as maybe $40; not a lot of money to most. Heck, even if you're out the entire cost of the stay, it's not the end of the world. Not something I would do, but people with more money than I have would probably be okay with it...

That just got me thinking: I wonder if our reservation system here in TX will let you book multiple parks on the same weekend? Seems like that would be a pretty easy fix... I also wonder if our system tracks "no-shows"?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #49

I don't reserve anymore , I show up and relax. I made the best choice been seasonal for 13 years. Happy am I!! Point don't wait or expect someone else to better a situation. The best change comes from the individuals! Cheers !
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #50

Quote:
I don't reserve anymore , I show up and relax. I made the best choice been seasonal for 13 years. Happy am I!! Point don't wait or expect someone else to better a situation. The best change comes from the individuals! Cheers !
I've considered going seasonal, but I'm just too much of a gypsy. I HATE going to the same places over and over again. I only tolerate it at the beach because my wife and son love the beach so much. Beyond that, I could be perfectly content NEVER going to the same place twice. There's just too much out there to see and do.

And I think you're absolutely right about "the best change comes from the individuals" ... I just wish some of them would change!

As I mentioned before, my "partial" solution (MY behavior change) has been to seek out private CGs near the public parks or attractions I want to see. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's almost always more expensive. There are a few places I want to get to that won't work, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, make the reservation WELL in advance, and just make it a priority to get there.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #51

Quote:
I'm glad the seasonal thing is working out for you but it's not for everyone. The main reason we bought a travel trailer is to travel and see parts of the country we've never been to before. For the most part we are able to plan well in advance and generally haven't had issues getting a reservation where we want to stay. But I like to know in advance, especially when I'm heading into an area I'm not familiar with, that I've got a reasonable place to set up when I get there so I don't end up spending the time there trying to figure that out.

It wasn't always that way for us so I do understand the frustration that goes along with trying to find someplace to go on shorter notice. Growing up my folks would usually just load us up on Friday morning and figure out where we were camping that weekend while on the road. The times - they have certainly changed....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #52

Michigan implemented a new rule last October I think where you can't block more then 2 sites per visit. And if you do not show then you loose everything plus the deposit. I like this idea. As for Grand Canyon? I rsvp a site for next July. It is expensive to reserve a site. Good luck camping and getting a site.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #53

Just spent a week at Furnace Creek campground in Death Valley. One of those places that's hard to get a reservation. Arrived to the Campground Full sign out front. Day after day we watched as full hookup sites near us had overnight car or tent campers. Great for them, but was thinking about RVers trying to secure a site and seeing none available.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I'm glad the seasonal thing is working out for you but it's not for everyone. The main reason we bought a travel trailer is to travel and see parts of the country we've never been to before. For the most part we are able to plan well in advance and generally haven't had issues getting a reservation where we want to stay. But I like to know in advance, especially when I'm heading into an area I'm not familiar with, that I've got a reasonable place to set up when I get there so I don't end up spending the time there trying to figure that out.

It wasn't always that way for us so I do understand the frustration that goes along with trying to find someplace to go on shorter notice. Growing up my folks would usually just load us up on Friday morning and figure out where we were camping that weekend while on the road. The times - they have certainly changed....
I'm really anal when it comes to knowing where we're going and when. Starting the end of this May we are heading out on a two year trip and have managed to book and reserve at 18 different CG's through April of 2020! Will start working on the second year in about 6 months.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Just spent a week at Furnace Creek campground in Death Valley. One of those places that's hard to get a reservation. Arrived to the Campground Full sign out front. Day after day we watched as full hookup sites near us had overnight car or tent campers. Great for them, but was thinking about RVers trying to secure a site and seeing none available.
WI State Parks have added lots of electric connections at sites that were always considered tent sites. People want to be able to charge their electronics and they will pay a premium to do it, even if just using a tent.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #56

We don't plan a trip until we know for sure we can really pull it off. When we got a better TT we decided to go visit Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Then home. We try to do this in spurts. Our first major trip was to Montana, 3 weeks. That was 8 years ago. Then 4 years ago was Maine and Boston. Now it is Colorado. The last of the major trips until I retire. I too am a planner. Upon retiring I am going to trade my cherokee for a grand and head to Alaska. As for now? Can't wait for Colorado. Happy Camping!
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #57

We also bought our travel trailer to "travel", and we do..9,000 mi last year. But, we also have a seasonal camp site which allows us to "use" our RV when not traveling. We try to do extended trips in May and September and seldom have trouble getting camp sites without reservations - weekdays. Depending on where we plan on going, we will make advance reservations, and for weekends. During the summer, we always try for reservations, especially for popular locations.