Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #21

Couple of things. First, be aware that most (all?) warranty contracts do NOT cover diagnostic time, so factor that in your decision to buy one and use it. Second, value your time in dropping your unit off, waiting, and picking it up again with the expectation that everything has been fixed. Oftentimes if you have the skills, simply fixing and paying for it yourself is the least cost/time alternative, all things considered.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #22

Our experience RV dealer really liked us until we drove the new camper off the lot!Then they did not know us any more lol.
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #23

Thanks everyone for the input. Jayco has confirmed the use of my local dealer for things which simplifies things greatly for me.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Thanks @DocBrown. I will have to look that up.

Unfortunately we are six months in and also my wife is a huge fan of extended warranties as she would rather pay a bit more up front for that insurance (I stopped fighting that battle a long time ago)...

Who is your extended warranty provider?
mcderyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcderyan View Post
Who is your extended warranty provider?

It is iA-SAL.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #26

I'm not surprised. I have a recall issue with puck lights that could potentially cause a fire. The dealership has no urgency in fixing it. I have 15 lights, 5 are shot and all overheat. I refuse to pay to replace them myself.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #27

Poor Customer Service

While I have not experienced your particular issue, I have learned from others that it is quite common and has occurred in my area as well. The dealer I bought my Jayco from in southern Indiana has been nothing but a disappointment in terms of warranty/service issues...absolutely zero sense of customer service from the owners. While I love my Hummingbird, the service issues have pretty much guaranteed that my next camper will not be a Jayco.
Hummingbird Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird Lane View Post
While I have not experienced your particular issue, I have learned from others that it is quite common and has occurred in my area as well. The dealer I bought my Jayco from in southern Indiana has been nothing but a disappointment in terms of warranty/service issues...absolutely zero sense of customer service from the owners. While I love my Hummingbird, the service issues have pretty much guaranteed that my next camper will not be a Jayco.
And, if you read other forums, you will find folks with other name brand RV's have the same issues. Sorry to say.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #29

I have been very fortunate with the place I I got my trailer from.
they are 3.5 hrs away and when it came time for PDI deficiencies and a few warranty items they called a couple months later to inform me the parts were in and to set up an appointment.

We were still in the camping season so I requested that they send the parts and I would do the work myself.
they gladly complied. the only thing I had to do was send the parts back they had to get directly from Jayco. so they gave me a ups number and said drop it off when I'm done.
Stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #30

If you have a problem with a major item like a ref or ac think about calling the maker of the unit not Jayco. I had a ac problem with my Jayco 5th wheel and a non Jayco dealer just called Coleman with the serial no. Coleman paid for the repair. Remember its the unit not a bad installation so Jayco probably bills Coleman.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #31

I'm going to give another shout out to Bish's RV Super Center of Idaho. They took care of some emergency warranty repairs to my Jay Flight 23RB while out there in June of 2018.

The faucet in the bathroom sink had spring an intermittent leak and I didn't want to deal with that for the next month and a half. When we left Arco, ID heading to Grand Teton NP, we were going through Idaho Falls, ID.

MY wife called ahead to see if they could take care of the problem. They said they were completely busy and couldn't see us this day. We called back after realizing we were a day ahead of our reservations in GTNP. This time, they said they could work us in that morning. The technician first tried tightening the connections to see if that would work. It didn't. So, they took out the old faucet (which showed the threads had been cross threaded at the factory), put in a new one, all on Jayco's dime.

I was quite happy with Bish's. If I lived in that part of the world, my next RV would come from those folks.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #32

Dealing with the Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Sounds like they're too busy to work on your trailer right now, and they were up front in telling you. Alternatively, they could have you bring it in and let it sit for a few months.

The repair items you mentioned are easy to fix. I would hate to have to take my trailer to the dealer for little stuff, as the hassle in hooking up and going to the dealer exceed the hassle of doing it myself (and doing it right or better than new).

In particular, those puck lights are junk. Just remove it from your trailer and put in a nicer light, like a Lumitronix. I replaced about six of the puck lights in my 26BH with lights that don't get so darned hot (I don't trust them), and put out a much nicer quality of light (warmer and more diffused).
We have given up on using a dealer for our repairs. This is a sad thing to say but we are now into about our 14th year of owning an RV and dealer service is just not acceptable in our opinion. Typically, they want you to bring it in a couple or more weeks prior to when they think they can get to it. Once they "Get to it", they order parts. once the parts come in, they now "get to it". Most of the time, items were not fixed satisfactorily and either a return is necessary or, you have to do it yourself. I am not that handy so have located a local experienced technician who is willing to come to my shop/location to do service items for me. Yes, it is expensive. If a warrantee item is big enough to contact the factory about, they usually will reimburse me for at least parts if not the whole thing. Otherwise, I always pay more but get the level of service I am expecting and get in a decent timeframe! I also learn more about the repair/service while it is being done.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Very common.

BUT, since Jayco recommended you contact that dealer, send the dealer's reply to Jayco and ask Jayco if they would authorize a mobile RV service/repair for the warranty work.
When I called Jayco I was told I would have to go through my local dealer to find out who in my area can do warranty work. Now why would my dealer who does appear to have big problems in there service department want to give me the name of a good service company?
Kdeubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
Won’t take a class A

I have two Jayco dealers within a reasonable distance to my home. I contacted both to have some warranty work done and they both said they don’t work on class A’s but do work on class C’s. I really can’t see much difference working on them. Luckily I found a great Rv repair shop in Orrington Maine. I got them approved by Jayco. The name is River Road RV in Orrington Maine. Wonderful to work with.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #35

Last year (first year of ownership) on my first outing my stairs would not retract. I had to disconnect linkage and tie ups so I could get home. Called my dealer, and basically had to get an appointment 5-6 weeks out to get it fixed. So I didn't use the RV for almost 2 months to get warranty work done from the dealer that just sold it to me. Now I know, unless the problem is so bad, I'm just going to have to fix it myself or lose weeks of camping time waiting. Not being able to get service appt. or get campsites last minute are not what I expected. Welcome to world of RVing.

PS. The steps stopped working a couple of trips later but I understood why and fixed it permanently myself
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
I had the same problem with my steps. Jayco wanted me to stay in one spot for a couple of weeks ( I was on my dream trip out west). I finally found the correct steps on my own on and installed them my self. They did pay for the step motor after awhile.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #37

Hey Siamese,,,where did you get your lumitronix lights. are there just 2 wires that are easily replacable? thanks
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
I would, unfortunately with the extended warranty, the clause is that I cannot do that maintenance by myself (a hidden cost to the warranty...) so I have to find a service center to do it, and Jayco wants that to be a Jayco dealer.

On the other topic, do you have a link to the lights that you used to replace the puck lights, or at least a picture?
Suspect you are missunderstantanding the terms of your policy. Any that I have ever seen do not restrict work you can do yourself that involve changing out a light fixture or minor adjustment or repair. Of course the cost of a replacement fixture is on your, but why submit to a long delay after a long drive for something you can take care of for less than $50? The extended warrantee was a mistake but now that you have it, I suggest you alter your thinking and limit claims to significant items such as the fridge, the A'C unit, roof leak, etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Suspect you are missunderstantanding the terms of your policy. Any that I have ever seen do not restrict work you can do yourself that involve changing out a light fixture or minor adjustment or repair. Of course the cost of a replacement fixture is on your, but why submit to a long delay after a long drive for something you can take care of for less than $50? The extended warrantee was a mistake but now that you have it, I suggest you alter your thinking and limit claims to significant items such as the fridge, the A'C unit, roof leak, etc.

Bassdogs,

This quote is directly from the legal text of the extended warranty:

Do-it-yourself maintenance and repairs are not permitted

I will certainly have to weigh things out as I go...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew