Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 158
No Room At the Inn

So I contact the local dealer that Jayco referred me to, to make an appointment to get some servicing done (first time with a TT not a pop-up and the extended warranty requires that maintenance be done at a licensed service center...). In my puttering, I discovered a couple of things:
  • A little anti-freeze spray in the top drawer under the kitchen sink - potential leak
  • A ceiling puck light that wasn't working right

I get an email back from them saying (direct quote):

Unfortunately we can't take any outside clients given our mass amount of internal client already book at our service department.

They did give me an alternative (about an hour away instead of 20 minutes); however, is this normal? This was an opportunity to build a potentially long term relationship with a customer. It just seems like strange behaviour to me.
__________________

__________________
--
Cheers

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 9,976
Very common. I just made an appointment at our dealer for our annual state safety inspection. First question they ask when you call is "did you buy it from us?"
__________________

__________________
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56
Andersen WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Siamese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 453
Sounds like they're too busy to work on your trailer right now, and they were up front in telling you. Alternatively, they could have you bring it in and let it sit for a few months.

The repair items you mentioned are easy to fix. I would hate to have to take my trailer to the dealer for little stuff, as the hassle in hooking up and going to the dealer exceed the hassle of doing it myself (and doing it right or better than new).

In particular, those puck lights are junk. Just remove it from your trailer and put in a nicer light, like a Lumitronix. I replaced about six of the puck lights in my 26BH with lights that don't get so darned hot (I don't trust them), and put out a much nicer quality of light (warmer and more diffused).
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
So I contact the local dealer that Jayco referred me to, to make an appointment to get some servicing done (first time with a TT not a pop-up and the extended warranty requires that maintenance be done at a licensed service center...). In my puttering, I discovered a couple of things:
  • A little anti-freeze spray in the top drawer under the kitchen sink - potential leak
  • A ceiling puck light that wasn't working right

I get an email back from them saying (direct quote):

Unfortunately we can't take any outside clients given our mass amount of internal client already book at our service department.

They did give me an alternative (about an hour away instead of 20 minutes); however, is this normal? This was an opportunity to build a potentially long term relationship with a customer. It just seems like strange behaviour to me.
Very common.

BUT, since Jayco recommended you contact that dealer, send the dealer's reply to Jayco and ask Jayco if they would authorize a mobile RV service/repair for the warranty work.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescue Eydie (min Schnauzer) & Charley (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS, GY Endurance (E), Days: 102 '15, 90 '16, 80 '17, 161 '18
2006 Ford F350 PSD, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, Cmpr. pkg, Equal-i-zer 4-p, ContiTrac TR
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Very common.

BUT, since Jayco recommended you contact that dealer, send the dealer's reply to Jayco and ask Jayco if they would authorize a mobile RV service/repair for the warranty work.
This is what I have done as both of their recommendations in my area have both basically said no. And I appreciate their honestly, no matter where I think it might be coming from.

The local RV shop which is 5 minutes from my house and has done awesome work limping my 2001 Coleman pop-up through the years, is a member of the same ownership group as the Jayco dealers, just not a Jayco dealer. I am hoping that I can get them pre-authorized by Jayco to do the work...
__________________
--
Cheers

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Sounds like they're too busy to work on your trailer right now, and they were up front in telling you. Alternatively, they could have you bring it in and let it sit for a few months.

The repair items you mentioned are easy to fix. I would hate to have to take my trailer to the dealer for little stuff, as the hassle in hooking up and going to the dealer exceed the hassle of doing it myself (and doing it right or better than new).

In particular, those puck lights are junk. Just remove it from your trailer and put in a nicer light, like a Lumitronix. I replaced about six of the puck lights in my 26BH with lights that don't get so darned hot (I don't trust them), and put out a much nicer quality of light (warmer and more diffused).
I would, unfortunately with the extended warranty, the clause is that I cannot do that maintenance by myself (a hidden cost to the warranty...) so I have to find a service center to do it, and Jayco wants that to be a Jayco dealer.

On the other topic, do you have a link to the lights that you used to replace the puck lights, or at least a picture?
__________________
--
Cheers

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 1,112
I replaced my homes halogen puck light bulbs with pancake shaped LEDs. A little more light for only 4 watts instead of 40. NO HEAT!

If the pucks just need new bulbs look at Amazon Mine were 6 for $18.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.7 V6
Andersen WDH hitch
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 925
Ditto on doing the little stuff on your own. If there is something major that needs to be done and you can't get a local deal to do it see if there is an independent RV service center near you that Jayco will work with to get the work done.
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,299
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Even during warranty period you can do you own work, but your work is not warranted by Jayco. Even if you make a modification and the modification causes in someway damage to the RV it wouldn't be covered. Same with accessories; if you replace a light fixture with another brand and goes defect Jayco will not replace it. Appliances warranty is by the original manufacturer. Jayco can assist with this type of warranty.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 158
@ALJO, I don't have any issue in doing the work, and I plan to do some modifications (and if I break something, I am good for that). My concern with doing my own maintenance was this clause in the extended warranty contract:

"You must perform at Your expense, and prove that You have performed the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer and/or by a licensed Repair Facility" and "Do-it-yourself maintenance and repairs are not permitted"

I clarified this with the extended warranty vendor and they explicitly said that maintenance must be performed by a licensed facility and that I needed to have proof of that (keep my receipts). So my options are - do it myself and forego the extended warranty or try to come to accommodation with Jayco on where to take it. I'm in the discussions with Jayco now.
__________________

__________________
--
Cheers

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.