Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
No its the gap around the edge of the inner panel, no stain! How does that get past quality control?Thanks

This is caused by the doors being stained after they are built, very typical. The center panel because it floats ( can't be glued in) and the center panel shrinks, because of much lower humidity in Arizona than Indiana. It's normal not a biggie. If you go into a higher humidity area the center panel will swell and you won't see the white line around the edge. A quick fix, locate the local Mohwak distributor I spoke about in the previous post. They make a felt pen (like a sharpie) with scores of color stains. Take the pen and run it around the outside of the panel, it will color that small unstained wood.

This can happen even if a door is made in the summer and then winter hits and the humidity is low. The only way to not have this happen, and what we typically did, is, when assembling the door, if you know what the color will be, you can wipe the edge of the center panel with stain, it then doesn't show when the panel shrinks. But, not many shops make their own doors, they are made by specialized door manufacturers and shipped for finishing and assembly. At the time they are installed, the center panel has not shrunk and hence is uniform in color, the hidden edge of the center panel is, hidden in the groove on the stiles and rails.

Again, an aggravation, but no way Jayco could do anything about it before it happens. And I dare say, it only happens to a small portion of the country and even then typically only in the dryer winter months. Arizona is unique in our dry climate. Get the pen, stain the edge and move on with life. It's an aggravation but not the hill to die on in my mind.

Hope this can help you to remove one item from your list. I doubt any dealer would be aware of what is happening or how easy it is to correct the situation.

In our shop, when we purchased doors from an outside source, we would use air to blow stain into the tongue hidden in the groove, it eliminated 99% of these issues, but, being in Illinois, we didn't have the issue of shrinking panels, even in the winter typically. Most people had humidifiers in their home so the humidity remained fairly even all year round.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #22

Thanks I hear exactly what your saying!That is Jayco's problem they no about it and choose to ignore it!Just another JAYCO difference!LOL gotta laugh about this stuff.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks I hear exactly what your saying!That is Jayco's problem they no about it and choose to ignore it!Just another JAYCO difference!LOL gotta laugh about this stuff.
I would bet they have no clue. They purchase their doors from a local company...and I would bet they only get this issue from a very few locations. Mainly in the desert southwest. Unlike a house, that is heated and maybe not humidified in the winter an RV is typically not used... so the issue Is mute. It's just that the doors are produced and stained in maybe a 60 to 80% humidity area. Then that RV is taken to Phoenix, and it's 6% humidity. The wood gives off moisture and the wood shrinks exposing the 1/8" of the tongue of the center panel that is not stained. If you were to take your RV to San Diego in the summer you would not see that "line". Again, find a Mohawk dealer, one in Glendale I've purchased from and I think one in Mesa and Chandler but may be more. Pick up a stain pen and make this issue go away. Concentrate on the BIG issues you can't take care of yourself.

Good Luck ...Baseball is coming in a few weeks

Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #24

RV Manufacturers "Quality Control"

Now that's a "Mis-Nomer". Jayco produces a JFlight in 10 hrs or less and it is out the door to the dealer. Time to wake up and smell the Starbucks.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Now that's a "Mis-Nomer". Jayco produces a JFlight in 10 hrs or less and it is out the door to the dealer. Time to wake up and smell the Starbucks.
They assemble a Jayflight in 8 hours or less.. But all the parts are made offline and those hours are not counted in the 8 hour number. Wall panels, cabinets, ducting, etc are all produced off line and just installed during the assembly period.

A car is produced in less time, but again, all the pieces are made off line, they just bring the parts together and assemble it. Huge difference. And during the assembly period you have a number of people working on it at the same time, hundred of man hours are spent just in assembly, plus the man hours producing the components offline.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #26

RV "Quality Control"

When the Navy takes delivery of a ship from a Ship Builder, there are numerous QC inspection prior to acceptance. After that, the first couple of at sea periods are for the purposes of getting the bugs out, i.e., shake down cruises. After owning 2 new RV's, I realized that it takes 2 to 3 years to get the bugs out. Then usually it is pretty smooth sailing from there on. Enjoy, we don't live in a perfect world.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #27

Quote:
When the Navy takes delivery of a ship from a Ship Builder, there are numerous QC inspection prior to acceptance. After that, the first couple of at sea periods are for the purposes of getting the bugs out, i.e., shake down cruises. After owning 2 new RV's, I realized that it takes 2 to 3 years to get the bugs out. Then usually it is pretty smooth sailing from there on. Enjoy, we don't live in a perfect world.
And at the end of the line at Jayco, there is a team that go over the RV doing touch ups, removing excess glue and trying to make things right. Again its only about 15% of the units that have any real kind of issues. The vast majority have minor issues or issues easily corrected.

I realize it's really easy to slam companies and how if you did it, it would be perfect and with better products all at a cheaper price. All I can say is go for it. Remember EVERY product is made my a human somewhere along the line. Those people at no different then the rest of us, they do a good job and occasionally have an off day or off moment. It's why Jayco has a warranty, and they do stand behind it, we see that on here every day.

Jayco like other companies make a good product at a good price and if they didn't people wouldn't buy them You can certainly buy a better product, but not at a better price. We all choose what we want to spend and hence what level of quality were willing and able to pay for.

I'm happy with my less than perfect Jayco, because I know I'm not perfect..heck, even JC couldn't satisfy everyone.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Agreed second new fiver in 12 years looks like its going to be about 3 years again just to get the warranty done! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Agreed second new fiver in 12 years looks like its going to be about 3 years again just to get the warranty done! Thanks

This is prevelent in the entire RV business...you make it sound like it's just Jayco and that's simply not true.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #30

I bet your right sad isn't it? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post

Be pro-active!!!