Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Noob Propane tank question

Sorry if this has been covered, the search did not find results i was looking for.

Brand new 16XRB owner and have been on 6 trips so far. My wife and I are assuming the propane tank is close to empty and would rather not run out on our last trip this year. A few things we are wondering, how do you tell if its close to empty or is it just a guessing thing? I'm also guessing the only way to know its empty is if the gas range won't light? Or is there other ways to tell when its empty? Also are you allowed to fill up a tank with some propane still in it or is that unsafe?

Due to weight limits carrying 2 tanks is not an option. I'm also guessing the tank on my trailer is a standard propane tank no different then the one on my bbq and could be swapped perhaps in order to use up the remaining propane.

sorry for all the noobyness, any suggestions would be great concerning how everyone deals with this, we are just trying to figure out the best way to not run out during a trip.
Cheers!

Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

I usually do the old "lift and shake" method. My friend actually weighs his tank to determine the approximate amount left. In my opinion, there really is no 100% way of knowing exactly how much is left. The tapes and gauges on the market today really aren't that accurate. Usually gauges show in the green then a minute later can show in the red. But yeah, do what you said. Use the little that's left for your bbq!

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #3

If you think you're running low, just go have it filled. They'll put whatever is needed to top it off, and you only pay for what they fill.

I would avoid doing a tank exchange unless you have to. They don't fill those tanks up, and it's really expensive.

I keep a full tank around at all times. Not that I always take it with me on trips, but in your case, I would put my known full tank on the trailer and have the other one filled later at my convenience. I mostly use my spare tank for the grill, but I've been known to travel with it on long journeys just in case.

As for determining how full your tank is, I like the "give it a shake" method, but I've been known to weigh them too.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

I purchased on of those crude little gauges on Amazon a while ago and have been using it on this new trailer. As others have said, not at all accurate and moves more with temperature swings than anything.

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Team

The empty tank weight is stamped on the tank. Put it on a bath scale and anything over that is LPG/ Propane. I think it weighs around 4.2 lbs per gallon.

Subtract the Tare weight/ tank weight from the total and divide by 4.2 and that is how many gallons are left.

There are many other ways to measure that people will sell you. This is the only one that I would use.

I would not leave home if it was not full if I only had one tank.

Mainly cause I don't WW3 to break out in the camper if it runs out. LOL

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

I just do the "lift and shake thing" myself. Then again we have 2 tanks for exactly this reason.

Yes it's same thing as your bbq grill. I use one of my trailer tanks in the event the tank on the grill runs out in the middle grilling a steak. Conversely, I have one tank that is almost empty from a cold week on our last trip. I'm going to use it up on our grill before the next trip and refill it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

I've been using the Dometic ultrasonic pen with really good results for a couple of years now:

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-LPGC1...ne+level+check
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

I just recently purchased this device. Its a bit spendy but I have found it to be very accurate. You would only need a single sensor and you could use the free app if you have a smart phone.

Tank Check
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated!
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, the search did not find results i was looking for.

Brand new 16XRB owner and have been on 6 trips so far. My wife and I are assuming the propane tank is close to empty and would rather not run out on our last trip this year. A few things we are wondering, how do you tell if its close to empty or is it just a guessing thing? I'm also guessing the only way to know its empty is if the gas range won't light? Or is there other ways to tell when its empty? Also are you allowed to fill up a tank with some propane still in it or is that unsafe?

Due to weight limits carrying 2 tanks is not an option. I'm also guessing the tank on my trailer is a standard propane tank no different then the one on my bbq and could be swapped perhaps in order to use up the remaining propane.

sorry for all the noobyness, any suggestions would be great concerning how everyone deals with this, we are just trying to figure out the best way to not run out during a trip.
Cheers!
I assume you're from Pickering Ontario, and if you are just go to Costco and buy a couple of their propane tanks and ditch your old ones. The Costco tanks have a a gauge that uses a float that will precisely tell you how much propane you have left. Also, Costco is by far the cheapest place to get them refilled and charges by the pound. I have 4 of their tanks now.

Danno is offline   Reply With Quote