Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I performed the mod on my Norcold a few years ago, but I also NEVER travel with anything in the door. I just move these items back to the door after arriving. I know the metal bracket mod is supposed to prevent door damage when the door is loaded, but I just don't want to tease the gorilla when traveling.
Update: 9-23-2017

The metal bracket was installed on my Norcold in August 2016 and yesterday I found an item on the floor. It was a chunk of the original female part of the lower support of the door. I'm sure glad I had the metal bracket in place. Attached are pictures of the part that broke off and you can see where the male pin is pressed to one side of the metal bracket otherwise the door would have dropped off when opened or when moving.

Now what to do? Leave it as is since the metal bracket is holding fine, try to glue the broken off part back on (not likely to hold) or replace the door?
Attached Thumbnails
20170923_060836.jpg   20170923_060737.jpg   20170923_060757.jpg   20170923_060814.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #22

I do not think you can re-glue that back on. When mine broke I ordered the "door Liner" (see my post earlier in this string) which has the door frame and hinges. It re-uses the wood panel you have now.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherW View Post
I do not think you can re-glue that back on. When mine broke I ordered the "door Liner" (see my post earlier in this string) which has the door frame and hinges. It re-uses the wood panel you have now.
Ed, I agree with ChristopherW. I saw that door liner somewhere in a catalog. That's the way I would go if me as long as the rest of the fridge is still satisfactory.

I always said if mine ever stopped cooling, I might try the residential route with a inverter. Hope that never happens.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherW View Post
Great tip. Thanks. That is what I will do. I'm just glad they retro bracket was installed or the door would have certainly hit the floor. And with my luck it would have happened when I was there opening it and that heavy sucker on my foot wouldn't have been a good thing.

When I installed the retro bracket last year I seem to recall thinking that plastic hinge had hair line cracks in it, but old eyes couldn't tell for sure.

Thanks again.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It started happening 8-9 yrs go and "supposedly" they redesigned the hinge. Apparently not..
Added the metal bracket to our model N821 yesterday. Obviously Norcold used the plastic hinges at least into 2014.

In our case a hinge failure could have been quite dangerous. The Greyhawk FK has the front kitchen with the fridge about 12" behind the cab. Had that door fell off while in motion it would have been a nasty shock to have a load of can drinks, quart of milk and several glass beer bottles crash to the floor right behind the driver.

Thanks to all for the heads up on this problem.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #26

Add Me To The List

Norcold N821FLT fridge door on our 2017 Greyhawk landed in the floor- grape jelly everywhere. At least we weren’t on a Colorado mountain descent.
As already discussed, best to just fix yourself and move on. Lowe’s shelf bracket, drill, coping saw, pop rivets for plastic. Done.
Attached Thumbnails
03D38547-E974-48EB-955E-C7587DA6FC9F.jpg   0815D371-2643-491F-BDD1-E99D8A90A87A.jpg  
SecondRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #27

I was on the way to a week long gathering. Fridge was running on LP gas. The bottom hinge broke off. Bottles went everywhere, but nothing broken. I pulled in to Wally World and bought some JB weld. Built it up with the epoxy and spray painted it flat black. If I did not show it to anyone, they would never see it.
Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote