Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Norcold High Temp Limit Switch Reset

Had the misfortune of accidentally spraying water in the lower fridge vent and tripped the safety switch for the heat elements when camped this weekend. I knew this because the fridge beeped with an error code and the red LED on the little black box was solid red (normally it is off). I had planned for this by sticking a powerful magnet on the back of the fridge to reset the tripped reed switch in the little black box next to the bigger controller box. The reset procedure with the magnet works as others have noted: remove the plastic cover using a screwdriver in three places, hold the magnet directly over the reed switch, and waiting for it to click. If you have a Norcold with the little black box, carry a magnet.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

I found the switch tripped on ours a couple days ago. Looking back, the power flickered in the house the day before but didn't even kick the computer off so I thought nothing of it. It may also have been some moisture on the switch as we had gale force winds and rain blowing directly at that side of the RV.
None the less, it was plugged into shore power at home waiting for our next trip and as usual I stick my head in every couple days to make sure things are ok.
When I did, there was the fridge with the L1 OP code flashing.
Panic was my first reaction until I opened it up and found everything still frozen. outside temps were on the cool side (~10 C).
I then promptly Googled the code and was very happy to come up with the magnet fix instructions. My first attempt didn't work so got a bit stronger magnet and sure enough it rest. I tested it on propane for half an hour then switched it back to AC and periodically monitored for another couple hours with no troubles.
Here is a picture of the switch, sorry, I can't remember exactly where I held the magnet when it reset as I tried a couple different spots but it was either on the raised part or beside the red light..
Thanks Crossingover for starting this post. It may save someone a lot of time and money. Following the manufactures directions to take the unit to the dealer for repair may be totally unnecessary in many cases.
Only caution one should take is monitor closely after you do this to ensure it was a false trip and that there is indeed nothing wrong with your system causing it to trip.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Hight Temp Switch.jpg  
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote