Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #61

I just got a 2015 Pinnacle 36REQS, and yeah I get a lot of that. I just smile, shrug, and give em the nickle tour.

Gunner
Gunner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #62

I think a lot of people don't realize that you can purchase a TT for less than some cars cost these days! My USED 2007 SUV cost more than my TT.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
I think a lot of people don't realize that you can purchase a TT for less than some cars cost these days! My USED 2007 SUV cost more than my TT.
I think this hits the nail on the head, at least in my situation. I got some questions from family after we bought our new 23B earlier this year. After seeing it for the first time they were assuming it cost around $30k. In reality it was slightly more than half of that. They were shocked when I told them and in fact a couple family members looked closer at getting one of their own after finding out how reasonable they can be.
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #64

A good friend of mine, and former pastor, has been working hard all of his life. Even while pastoring a church, both he and his wife worked full time outside of the church. They are not wealthy, but they are very frugal with their money.

After his kids finished school, he finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of his by taking money he had saved and purchasing a late model Camaro. It's a VERY nice car. He bought it used (a couple of years old) and spent much less on it than most people pay for their new sedans and minivans, however. He paid half what I spent on my truck.

Some of the leadership at the church was upset because he was portraying the "rich pastor" image, they didn't have the details and only saw the exterior, a pastor driving a late-model sports car.

People are going to judge, it's simply human nature. I had to talk to a lot of folks when that car showed up and explain to them (what I never should have had to explain), that my good friend and pastor did not make his money from the church, so it was none of their business whether he spent $5 or $5 million on his new car, and that most of them were driving vehicles worth far more than his.

People are always looking for someone to compare against and judge. I'm sure I'll get some comments when I pull up with my new Eagle trailer in a few weeks. I won't be feeling the need to explain to people that's it's not all that hard if one simply works hard, saves, and budgets money wisely. I have family members who are always needing to borrow and scrape because they don't manage money well. I've even bailed some out on occasion, against my better judgement. It will be very hard to hold my tongue if those same folks comment on my "extravagance".
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #65
Site Team

I just replaced the mattress in my current camper.

It cost almost the same price as my first camper!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #66

I wasn't even unhooked from bringing our new TT home from the dealer before the neighbor who knows nothing about camping made his way over to ask, "How much does something like that cost?" I quickly threw out "about $1000 a foot" and left it at that. I'm pretty sure I'll catch him out there with a tape measure soon enough if he hasn't already done so under the cover of darkness.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote