Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Not Happy with Jayco Customer Service

I recently asked Jayco to help with a repair to my unit which was 8 months past the 2 year warranty. I had an issue where the top of the slide rubbed two gashed into the siding on my trailer. I received a reply stating that "The unit is out of warranty and I am sorry however Jayco will be unable to assist in the repairs." I called the person who sent me the email and asked if there was a way for me to escalate this as I believe it was something that started a long time ago while the unit was under warranty...If there was a way to have a manager review my request. She told me it would only be fair to look into it a little more. She asked me to send her some pictures of the problem which I did. She then sent me an email stating "Please contact a dealer to see what has caused this to occur this is very unusual." I spent about a day of my time working with my dealer to figure this out. I received a final email from Jayco stating "The unit is out of warranty and I am sorry however Jayco will be unable to assist in the repairs." There was no explanation or anything. I am disappointed that they couldn't take a little time to write more than one sentence in each email. I am also frustrated that they wasted my time asking me to take the unit to a dealer. I feel I was asked to do this just to make it seem that they would consider it. Then they just sent me their canned sorry email as a final reply. I have sold my unit and moved on to another brand trailer. I would have considered buying a new Jayco if the customer service representative did a better job with the replies. I understand not covering something out of warranty but at least give me better responses. I did, after all, purchase a brand new trailer from them.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
I would have considered buying a new Jayco if the customer service representative did a better job with the replies. I understand not covering something out of warranty but at least give me better responses. I did, after all, purchase a brand new trailer from them.
They probably made the assumption you followed up with the dealer as to the cause. They just reiterated that they would not cover it.

You have to remember the dealer is the "go between".
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

What did the dealer say about all this? Did they contact Jayco with the results?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Out of Warranty Repairs

I had a great experience for a one year O/W repair at the Jayco Plant in Middelbury, IN. I took pictures and had my dealer forward them to Jayco. Got a call from Jayco C/S "no can do you are O/W". My response was that I would not accept that as a solution. Dealer went back to Jayco and was able to arrange the In Plan Repair (major water damage) if I would deliver the unit to IN. I gladly agreed. They replaced all the struts and metal on the front of my unit and one strip of metal on the left front side back to the slide out. You might need to be a bit more pushy with the dealer and then if he doesn't help go directly to Jayco. If it is apparent that it is their problem you might can work something out. But in all cases use a good bit of tack. Would be interested in hearing the Paul Harvey (the rest of the story) on this one.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Going directly to Jayco doesn't seem to do much.

I've been waiting about three weeks for a response to a simple warranty question ("My skylight leaks, how do I get this fixed under the warranty?")

.. and, so far, not even the courtesy of a reply. So, I shall get up there and reseal it myself, and yes, I know this will void the warranty on the roof, and probably anything else they can wriggle out of, but, if I can't get them to honour the warranty on a simple issue like this, do I really care?

Ian, the disappointed man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Going directly to Jayco doesn't seem to do much.

I've been waiting about three weeks for a response to a simple warranty question ("My skylight leaks, how do I get this fixed under the warranty?")

.. and, so far, not even the courtesy of a reply. So, I shall get up there and reseal it myself, and yes, I know this will void the warranty on the roof, and probably anything else they can wriggle out of, but, if I can't get them to honour the warranty on a simple issue like this, do I really care?

Ian, the disappointed man from Scotland
That would be a dealer first call. Jayco cust. svc can not field or correct that type problem. Call your nearest dealer and get on the list.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That would be a dealer first call. Jayco cust. svc can not field or correct that type problem. Call your nearest dealer and get on the list.
Dealer said "No, that's a warranty issue, contact Jayco"
I' not impressed with my dealer either... but my point is that Jayco didn't even bother to reply, bouncing me back to the dealer. It would be good manners, not to mention good customer service (and I earn my paycheck in CS...)

Ian
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #8

Contact Trailer Life's RV Resolutions. They may be able to go to bat for you.

Trailer Life RV Resolutions
2750 Park View Court
Suite 240
Oxnard, CA 93036

Include copies of bills, correspondence as well as a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Make sure you include a concise history of issue and your attempts to get a resolution.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
...... Have you ever seen the video on You-tube of a Jayflight being built? The guy doing the talking is John McDonald. John at one time worked in the Customer Service Dept @ Jayco. He was my main contact when i had a water damage issue on my '99 LiteHawk. He arranged to have the unit picked up at the dealer, take it back to the plant, and have the repairs done. This was back in the time of no internet and one on one personal conversations on a telephone. I even received a phone call from the top lady in their PR department, because the side wall got damaged when it was tightened down to hard when the floor was replaced, causing cracks in the fiberglass, and when they said they would pick it back up, and replace the entire wall ..... i was worried the repair was not going to be right. Times have changed. Internet has negated the personal service thing. Working in GM Dealership, i kinda understand the OW thing. There has to be a limit, if there wasn't ..... oh man! It would just be much easier to swallow if you could discuss it with a person one on one .... thats a thing of the past, doesn't matter if it's a car, a trailer, heck, even something from Sears!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

Not sure why an owner would expect the factory to cover repairs 8mo out of warranty. That's 133% of the warranty period. There's always a bit of flexibility but that goes a bit far. OP has moved to another brand at this point. Hopefully they won't need to test the warranty limits there.

If my truck engine fails @ 133,000mi I doubt GM would repair it for me.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

It's called good faith. Manufacturers can do it, and quite often do.
And I can see the point that if the damage had started before warranty ended but wasn't noticeable until after that they may be some expectation of help.

Personally I don't trust dealers of any kind to come to my aid and repair things, in or out of warranty. Luckily I haven't been in the position except three times with the 6 new vehicles I have owned to have used warranty. One was fixed properly, one we were given the run around and a third I had to press them pretty hard to cover the towing of a vehicle.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #12

OP says he had no problem with Jayco NOT covering the out of warranty. Only the way they replied.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
OP says he had no problem with Jayco NOT covering the out of warranty. Only the way they replied.
But that is how GM, FORD, GE, CHRYSLER or any other manufacturer would reply.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
It's called good faith. Manufacturers can do it, and quite often do.
I realize there is "good faith" that can be applied but that's at the discretion of the manufacturer and I still say being 33% over the warranty period is beyond good faith.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #15

My backflow preventer stopped working 3 months before I was out of warranty. I called the dealer and talked to service and told them what was what and that I couldn't get to them for 5 weeks. Was told no big deal. So when I get back and go to the dealer to pick up the part with the old one in my hand I was told too bad, I was out of warranty... REALLY?? For a $25.00 part you're willing to loose a loyal customer?
I paid and left. What are you supposed to do?

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Site Team

My first impression was with a roof leak that far out of warranty, a call to Jayco Customer service would not be the first contact. It's a repair not a warranty item. I know they do good will actions but I would not turn out Jayco. I would think any mfg would handle this type call similarly.

The owner does have some responsibility to inspect or have the roof inspected. Those type repairs are pretty common if you own a rig and should be picked up on inspection way before a leak developed IMO.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
snip...... The owner does have some responsibility to inspect or have the roof inspected. Those type repairs are pretty common if you own a rig and should be picked up on inspection way before a leak developed IMO.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Site Team

I had a cast aluminum rim on my rig start leaking a few months out of warranty. I called my dealer and they told me that Jayco would not let them treat it as a warranty problem but I could call them and maybe they would do something.

I called them, not all huffy and loud but explained the problem. A tire shop had said it had a pin hole leak that couldn't be repaired. They had the rim maker drop ship me a rim at my house in less than a week.

To say the least, I was happy. BTW they did not want the old rim. They told me that a certain small number of cast rims develop leaks and they would replace it at no cost to me. I'm sure the rim mfg. assumed the cost.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer Life has a page your opinions, stories and feedback.Mainly consumer with grips about manufactures. Write to: Trailer Life/ 2750 Park View Court/ Suite 240/ Oxnard, CA. 93036. They seem pretty successful on resolutions. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Last Spot.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Not sure why an owner would expect the factory to cover repairs 8mo out of warranty. That's 133% of the warranty period. There's always a bit of flexibility but that goes a bit far. OP has moved to another brand at this point. Hopefully they won't need to test the warranty limits there.

If my truck engine fails @ 133,000mi I doubt GM would repair it for me.
The reason I asked them to cover this under warranty is because I believe the issue started when I got the trailer. It took time for the slide to wear through the skin. I thought, but didn't really expect, they might step up and cover it. I am not disappointed that they did not cover the issue under warranty, I am disappointed that they only sent me one sentence replies and wasted my time talking to my dealer.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote