Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Observation Camera Blues

This is the second time I've asked for help but can't find the first..

My 2018 Eagle HT 30.f MLOK (rear kitchen) came with an installed Furrion mount. The dealer put in the Furrion Observation Camera which we had used on our Class A. As installed, it only works as a back up camera displayed inside on the truck's screen and only when the truck is in reverse. I want the Observation Camera to function as designed.

I know the camera needs to be rewired but don't have a clue how to proceed.

Hoping my fellow campers can help me out.

Thanks ~ Joe
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #2

The short answer is that the wire that powers the camera needs to be switched over from your reverse lights to your clearance lights. That way, every time you turn your lights on your camera comes on.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
The short answer is that the wire that powers the camera needs to be switched over from your reverse lights to your clearance lights. That way, every time you turn your lights on your camera comes on.
Thanks! What are "clearance" lights?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

I have a similar question. We have a new F250 with sync 3. Want to put an observation camera on our Jayco when it comes in- but want it to play through the Ford screen in my dash. It's my understanding that Ford only allows it to be used as a back-up camera and only in reverse. Don't want to put another screen in the cab if we don't have to, but really want to have an observation camera.
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
the little yellow marker lights that come on when headlights are on
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
the little yellow marker lights that come on when headlights are on
Ah!! Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
As Kim Gass said. I removed the center clearance light located on the back top portion of my camper since it was ideally located. I pulled the hot wire to the light out enough to tie my camera power wire into that wire before tucking everything back in behind the clearance light.

It was a bit easier said that done but all worked when I finished the just just as I had hoped.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I have a similar question. We have a new F250 with sync 3. Want to put an observation camera on our Jayco when it comes in- but want it to play through the Ford screen in my dash. It's my understanding that Ford only allows it to be used as a back-up camera and only in reverse. Don't want to put another screen in the cab if we don't have to, but really want to have an observation camera.

I have the same setup. Although probably the only way to get it to work(and then only as backup) is to use the trailer tow pigtail and some type of converter. The screen appears to only be active when backing up or the front camera is active to the screen if the vehicle is going less than 10 mph
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
tec

So the factory prep in the back for a camera is only a back up camera, as it’s wired from the factory?
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
So the factory prep in the back for a camera is only a back up camera, as it’s wired from the factory?
The factory prep on mine runs constant with the running lights. It is not reverse only.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
It is only a back up on the 2018 Eagles . I don't know about other models.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post
The factory prep on mine runs constant with the running lights. It is not reverse only.
Yes its an observation camera and linked to your headlights and not your reverse gear
It looks backward and it doesnt care if you are going backward or forward
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Yes its an observation camera and linked to your headlights and not your reverse gear
It looks backward and it doesnt care if you are going backward or forward
I was answering the previous question about the factory wiring.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
tec

Quote:
thanks im ordering the kit today to install on mine.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #15

Exclamation

Quote:
This is the second time I've asked for help but can't find the first..

My 2018 Eagle HT 30.f MLOK (rear kitchen) came with an installed Furrion mount. The dealer put in the Furrion Observation Camera which we had used on our Class A. As installed, it only works as a back up camera displayed inside on the truck's screen and only when the truck is in reverse. I want the Observation Camera to function as designed.

I know the camera needs to be rewired but don't have a clue how to proceed.

Hoping my fellow campers can help me out.

Thanks ~ Joe
Joe,

I did this exact same install, on the exact same year and model camper as you. It is an absolute piece of cake.

You should have a 1 page guide that came with the unit that explains what you want to do.. But here's the summary of the factory procedure...

1. DO NOT remove any marker lights. It is completely unnecessary on this trailer.

2. Remove the camera mount that came with the camper.

3. Pull out the wires. There should be an orange wire capped up behind the mount.

4. Connect this orange wire to the red wire on the camera mount. This will supply constant power to the camera.

5. In the bedroom, remove the light switch from the wall.

6. Behind the light switch is the other end of that orange wire. Pull it out. It's probably not capped on that end.

7. Here's where you have a choice... You can quick-tap that wire on to the always-hot end of the bedroom light switch. This is sub-optimal since the camera will always be on. I recommend purchasing a separate switch and installing it in the wall next to the bedroom light switch. That way you can turn the camera off when boondocking.

One important note. If your Furrion camera is not specifically called "Observation" on the packaging, RETURN IT! The backup and observation cameras are two very different products. The backup camera has a lower frame rate and more screen lag. It's also prone to compression breakups during faster motion. The observation camera is more responsive and lags about 1/4 second.

Good luck with your project!
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

Wonderful help Shackrat! Need a bit of clarification on the bedroom light switch: our bedroom is in the front of the unit. Is that the switch you're referring to?

And yes, it's an observation system. We bought and used it on our previous Class A.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #17

Quote:
The factory prep on the back of my trailer is tied into the running lights so you get power to the camera whenever your headlights in the tow vehicle are on. That said I don't know of a way to connect the camera to the screen in the vehicle. I've seen the question before but I haven't seen anyone provide a workable answer.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Wonderful help Shackrat! Need a bit of clarification on the bedroom light switch: our bedroom is in the front of the unit. Is that the switch you're referring to?

And yes, it's an observation system. We bought and used it on our previous Class A.

Yes, the light switch just to the right of the bedroom door, just below the TV (or TV mounting location). The switch bezels are held on with friction only, so a gently prying upward is all that you need to remove them. Then it's just 2 screws on the switch.

Glad you have the right camera system! It makes a huge difference.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Yes, the light switch just to the right of the bedroom door, just below the TV (or TV mounting location). The switch bezels are held on with friction only, so a gently prying upward is all that you need to remove them. Then it's just 2 screws on the switch.

Glad you have the right camera system! It makes a huge difference.
Thanks to you, we now have a fully functional observation camera! Don't think I can thank you enough! Your instructions were perfect..

And this only reinforces my appreciation for all my fellow Jayco campers for their support and advice.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

Quote:
x2
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote