Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
DWB

Observation Camera wiring question

Hello. I have 1 2021 Jayco Jay Flight trailer and have installed a Furrion observation camera. The unit is pre-wired with the Furrion mounting bracket installed at the Jayco factory. However, the wiring harness for the camera connects to the running lights. There is an additional purple wire that was also located at the mounting bracket that I believe can be used to supply steady 12V power for the camera. My question is, where does this purple wire go within the trailer. It is currently not energized, but I want to find the end in order to connect it to a 12V steady power source. If any one could assist me in this search, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
DWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #2

With your RV VIN handy, call Jayco customer service at 1 (800) 283-8267. They can either tell you, or provide a wiring schematic (free) that can tell you where to locate the origins of the wire.

Welcome aboard!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
DWB

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem solved, now I just have to wire up the new switch I received today.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Problem solved, now I just have to wire up the new switch I received today.
Same scenario here, attempting the same thing. Where'd that extra wire go?
wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:16 PM   #5
DWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Same scenario here, attempting the same thing. Where'd that extra wire go?
Hi,

The wire that runs from behind the rear camera is purple. The other end of the wire is located behind the light switches and the receptacle located over the kitchen counter by the door to the outside. I had to remove the switches to locate it but it was easy to find. It does not terminate anywhere and is just a wire to be used to run permanent power to the camera.
The diagrams that I got explained that this spare wire was located behind the command centre. My trailer didn't have the command centre so I just started searching in the location of where the command centre would be. Anyway, the rear camera power is supplied through the running lights power, but if the running lights aren't on, the camera won't work. So, I have added a switch above the light switches and picked up power for it from the light switches steady power. I did add a relay into the mix so that if I forgot to turn on my new switch, I could just simply turn on my vehicle lights to power the camera. I will attach a wiring diagram that includes the relay that I added. I put a junction box on the inside of the trailer located directly behind the rear camera to do the wiring for the relay. The relay is not needed, but it's just something that I added for convenience purposes only. If you need any further assistance on this, don't hesitate to get in touch. I could provide you with my email if it is of any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camera wiring with steady and running lts. power.pdf (149.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-08-2023, 10:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the quick and thorough response! I think I'm probably going to just wire it to the marker lights and just drive with my lights on. Considered installing a switch and doing exactly what you did, but thinking against it now. Appreciate the help.
wizard is offline   Reply With Quote