Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #41

Ok, I picked up my 32bhds today.

And towed it home no problem. I was amazed at how calm I was. In five days we go out on a six week trip. I will keep you all posted, thanks for all the great tips.
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #42

I have never towed anything before and we are taking our first outing this weekend. Its only 18ft long, but it feel huge to me. All your tips have been helpful.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
And towed it home no problem. I was amazed at how calm I was.
You must not have been paying attention! :hihi:
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #44
Site Team

Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing and making turns. Don't be apprehensive, you will intimidate other drivers with the rig. Use your mirrors on turns and practice until you feel competent.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #45

Well, I gotta admit it too....in two weeks, we are going to take delivery of our 2012 26RLS. Our TV is a 2010 F-150 Supercrew with a towing package and 9600 towing capaity. The dry weight of the unit is 6300 and with only the wife and I, we don't ever anticipate having more than 8000# behind us.

But for the first day and having never towed anything...ever....and also having the dealer up in the mountains of Prescott, the drive to the flatlands of Phoenix has got me nervous. Thanks for all the advice on this forum, I'll be taking it slow, wide and defensively. Getting ourselves educated beforehand thus far has been crucial in calming the nerves. Once we get it home, it will stay out front so I can take it out daily to practice, practice, practice. Won't go camping until I am confident in my backing abilities.
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockypointers View Post
Well, I gotta admit it too....in two weeks, we are going to take delivery of our 2012 26RLS. Our TV is a 2010 F-150 Supercrew with a towing package and 9600 towing capaity. The dry weight of the unit is 6300 and with only the wife and I, we don't ever anticipate having more than 8000# behind us.

But for the first day and having never towed anything...ever....and also having the dealer up in the mountains of Prescott, the drive to the flatlands of Phoenix has got me nervous. Thanks for all the advice on this forum, I'll be taking it slow, wide and defensively. Getting ourselves educated beforehand thus far has been crucial in calming the nerves. Once we get it home, it will stay out front so I can take it out daily to practice, practice, practice. Won't go camping until I am confident in my backing abilities.
Welcome to the forum, Rocky! Relax and enjoy the new trailer!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #47

One safety consideration that I didn't think of until it happened - keep the kids/wife well clear of the trailer while hooking/unhooking. When we were already fairly seasoned at setting up our trailer, I had the tongue jacked up and started to pull the truck out from the trailer. The truck must have hit a rock or small ledge and it brought the ball up just enough to pull the tongue back onto the ball and pull the trailer off of the blocks under the tongue jack. It's pretty scarry when you don't expect it and you know your kids are out playing around the campsite....

Our kids have always stayed in the truck until the trailer is in place and leveled. Just be careful!

As far as towing goes, you get used to it quick. We moved up from a Jay Feather 29' to a Jay Flight. The Jay Flight is just a bit longer, but it feels HUGE due to being so much higher up and "bulky." I like my mirrors to just barely show the sides of the trailer for a point of reference. This really helps me guage when I have a big enough opening to change lanes!

Have a blast with that trailer! You'll get used to it and maybe you'll avoid the 'buy a bigger trailer in a year' trap that so many of us get sucked into!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #48

KachFam, don't mean to hijack the thread, but did you notice a drop in MPG going from the Feather to the taller Flight?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Welcome to the forum, Rocky! Relax and enjoy the new trailer!
Thanks Crabman! Will be on here plenty...there is much to learn from the lessons of others!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KachFam View Post
One safety consideration that I didn't think of until it happened - keep the kids/wife well clear of the trailer while hooking/unhooking. When we were already fairly seasoned at setting up our trailer, I had the tongue jacked up and started to pull the truck out from the trailer. The truck must have hit a rock or small ledge and it brought the ball up just enough to pull the tongue back onto the ball and pull the trailer off of the blocks under the tongue jack. It's pretty scarry when you don't expect it and you know your kids are out playing around the campsite....

Our kids have always stayed in the truck until the trailer is in place and leveled. Just be careful!

As far as towing goes, you get used to it quick. We moved up from a Jay Feather 29' to a Jay Flight. The Jay Flight is just a bit longer, but it feels HUGE due to being so much higher up and "bulky." I like my mirrors to just barely show the sides of the trailer for a point of reference. This really helps me guage when I have a big enough opening to change lanes!

Have a blast with that trailer! You'll get used to it and maybe you'll avoid the 'buy a bigger trailer in a year' trap that so many of us get sucked into!
Thanks Kach....appreciate the advice. We have no kids, other than the Golden Retriever and she will be in the truck until we're free from the hitch.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #51

Another quick question: small survey if you will....how many of you have mirror extensions or have replaced your OEM mirrors? Again, I have a 2010 Ford SuperCrew F-150. I "imagine" that I am pulling my TT behind me now and it seems like the mirrors I have now (OEM) are sufficient. BUT, having never done this, I seek the advice of those who have been there.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #52

I have a set of CIPA snap on mirrors for my truck. While I could probably do ok without them, they really help me see around the trailer and know what is coming up behind me. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to take on and off.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #53

I made it through my first trip towing the TT. I didn't have any problems driving, it was the backing up that killed me.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KachFam View Post

The best thing to do, is place wheel chocks under the TT wheels before you un-hitch, and leave them there until you're hitched back up to leave. We use 4 chocks, two on each side. With tandem axles, the chocks go between the two wheels.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #55

I used the CIPA mirrors Terry referred to on my old truck. On the new truck I wanted OEM type Telescoping/Tow mirrors but the truck can with standard mirrors, so I purchased a set online and replaced the OEM mirrors.

When using the CIPA mirror extensions I had no complaints, I just like the look of the permanent mirrors on the new truck. After towing, I will say I prefer the permanent extended tow mirrors, I feel the larger mirror provides a better field of vision. Plus the elect adjustment is nice, the CIPA mirrors always seemed to take me some time to get right.

I purchased my mirrors form 1AAuto.com. They published tons of how to videos on You Tube that helped me with this and other projects. Ulitmately after lots or research they had the best price I could find for the mirrors. They shipped for free and quickly, they installed easily and look just like it came from GM that way.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockypointers View Post
Another quick question: small survey if you will....how many of you have mirror extensions or have replaced your OEM mirrors? Again, I have a 2010 Ford SuperCrew F-150. I "imagine" that I am pulling my TT behind me now and it seems like the mirrors I have now (OEM) are sufficient. BUT, having never done this, I seek the advice of those who have been there.

Thanks!
I have the same truck as you and I bought the CIPA 11800 add on mirrors from amazon. (roughly $48 for the pair I think )they fit great and do help. Lots of good feedback on amazon.com about these add on mirrors.

cheers!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #57

i debated getting an upgrade to the mirrors on our '07 Tundra, but thought the mirrors stuck out pretty far, and i might get by without... after towing interstate from Texas to Florida, i'm glad i decided to try it without. with the 19H, i can see plenty from the mirrors.... a spot mirror might be nice on the drivers side, but not necessary... anything any wider, or longer, and i would definitely need an extension of some sort.

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #58

Some great advice here from everyone and for everyone, including myself as I think it's easy to forget some of them.

Some things we've learned along our way this summer on our trip:

1) Follow truckers - if you see them moving lanes, there's a good reason for it. Accident ahead, construction, cars merging etc.
2) Truck stops are your best friends - room to get in and room to get out.
3) not to repeat whats been said but its worth repeating:
Plan your exits before you enter. Is there one enter/exit or two at the gas station? I tend to take the outside pumps so I'll have plenty of room to swing around, plus, less chance of some fool pulling to a pump next to you, cutting down on our space
4) If there are two turn lanes - take the outside lane so you can make the turn
5) Never let your tank have less than 1/4 at the most. I found with a 1/4 while towing we only have 2-3 gallons of gas left - carry spare fuel if possible. Lots of towns with no gas stations or questionable quality gas.
6) Put on your 4-ways/hazards when going up hill so others are aware there is a slow vehicle ahead.
7) Do a walk around, double check your connections before you leave and it doesn't hurt to do it again while getting gas, using bathrooms etc.
8) Use your truck mirrors and extended mirrors.
8) Hold on tight, relax and take your time. You are on vacation!!

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #59

Ok...I will add my saying ----

"vacation starts when I get in the car". I take my time and don't get stressed on the way. I spend most of my time in the right lane and rarely pass. Sure it adds a few minutes each hour....but just not worth the stress to gain a short amount of time.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #60

Congrats on the retirement. Done it several times now. 24 yrs military. 8 years airlines. 7 yrs flt simulators. Still camping. Best of luck!!
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote