Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Rule #3 Crank up the song International Harvester by some country singer.
That'd be Craig Morgan... Good song.

I was born & raised in L.A., but lived here in semi-rural PA for the last 14 years. At 44, I'm not a geezer (yet), but still don't get how impatient some folks get behind farm equip & Amish buggies. I've seen some really dangerous two-lane passing maneuvers... Life's already too short for that kind of behavior.

Anyway, when we had our TT & pickup, I could accelerate & travel with most regular traffic, probably 85-90% of the time. I'm still getting used to driving our C-type - it definitely wants to travel at it's own pace, and I don't want to flog it. It takes longer to get up to speed, and corners / twisties are a more leisurely proposition. I still try to be courteous & let folks by when I can, but that's not always easy to do since often there aren't many places to pull off safely. Also, I find that the sheer size of the thing combined with the vagueness of the steering has a natural dampening effect on my desire to go fast... I can see how easy it would be to get in over your head.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #22

Even with the extra mirrors, I can't really see how traffic is doing behind me...and that's just fine with me! I go 55-60 on the 55MPH roads, and I go around 60-65 on the interstate (speed limit 70). If people want to go around, no problem here! I'm new to towing and anything above 65 and I start getting really nervous about sway and such. I've seen people towing trailers that act as if they have nothing behind them, whipping around people, changing lanes. More power to 'em.

Oh, and I'm only 37
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #23

Just because you travel safely does not mean you are that guy. To find out if you are really that guy, answer these four questions:

Do you wear velcro tie shoes?
Do you wear a jumpsuit when you RV?
Do you wear a bucket (rain) hat that matches your jumpsuit?
Do you walk around the campground speaking in a loud voice greeting everyone?

If you answer yes to all four questions you are that guy!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #24

About airplane pilots they say there are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but no old bold pilots, the same could be said for drivers towing rv;s
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #25

We are all those Guys that hold up traffic,, oh well, in a few more weeks most people won't have to worry about us RVer's
firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #26

I don't worry about someone getting upset when I'm going the speed limit. If I cannot, I do look for a place to pull off safely, and let the accumulation go around, then back up another bunch!
oldtrojan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #27

Even if you do the speed limit....people still get mad at you.....on my way home from our last trip....I had an impatient row of cars behind me and I allowed them to pass as soon as it was possible. 5 mins later down the road, some cars that passed me were caught in a speed trap....it's like the race between the tortoise and the hare...lol. I could have gone faster, but it isn't worth the fuel and wear on he brakes...
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #28

I'm that guy too, I think. While I usually try to adhere to the speed limits, there are some areas where 75 is the speed limit. Sorry guys but a pickup truck pulling 11,000lbs shouldn't be doing 75 especially with a family of 5 in the truck. While I want to get to my destination, I want to get there in one piece. Nevermind the fuel consumption, but I want nothing broken, no tickets, and if that means that I'm that guy, well so be it.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #29

I'm that GAL...if I have a place I can pull over, I'll let them past me...if not...they're screwed!!
bmeyer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer48 View Post
I'm that GAL...if I have a place I can pull over, I'll let them past me...if not...they're screwed!!
I like it. Next time it happens that I am the leader of a parade with 10 people behind me I am not going to sweat it if I can't pull over.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #31

I'm "that guy" and at 41 years of age offer no apologies. Whether I'm hauling a trailer, or just commuting, I obey the laws as best I can. Semi trucks aren't allowed in the left lane of 3+ lane Michigan highways. They tailgate and engine brake behind me to intimidate me to move from the center to the right lane so that they can break the law by speeding, hopefully unnoticed in the center lane. Sorry, but if they really want to break the speeding laws that bad, they can try their luck passing on the right, or take their chances passing on the left. Sharing the road means doing so within the law. BTW: I've seen 2 commercial drivers pulled over after passing me on the left. Thanks to them for helping my state pay its bills.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Just because you travel safely does not mean you are that guy. To find out if you are really that guy, answer these four questions:

Do you wear velcro tie shoes?
Do you wear a jumpsuit when you RV?
Do you wear a bucket (rain) hat that matches your jumpsuit?
Do you walk around the campground speaking in a loud voice greeting everyone?

If you answer yes to all four questions you are that guy!
That was awesome, now excuse me while I clean all the milk I sprayed on my keyboard off.
2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS
0000 Children
Only 25 years to retirement!

"If it weren't for the rocks in it's bed, the stream would have no song." ~Carl Perkins
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote