Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

On Again Off Again Winter Storage

The goal of my wife and me has always been to travel more. If not full time, then for extended periods throughout the year. We live in Northwest Montana which has a relatively short window for hauling an RV around. As of this writing, it appears we will be here for the foreseeable future. My thought is, as I gaze out my window and the 24" of snow on the ground to make other storage arrangements for our RV in a snow free zone. My thinking is that we could leave home near the end of October and travel for awhile. When we needed to come back, we would find a storage location where the RV would be secure and snow free. Once we had completed our chores at home, we would then drive our truck back down to wherever the trailer was, hook on and continue our travels. Then after a period of time, we would store the RV again and return home. Once snow had melted at home, we would haul the trailer back there.

Has anyone done this, and if so what are the up and down sides? Any and all comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #2

Do you have a location in mind? Seems you would have to travel a long way to be “snow free”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Someone on the East cost was going to do something like that this winter. I think they where in NY, was going to Georgia this past fall. Was planning to leave it there, until they picked it up later in the winter, to go to Florida.

I do not foresee any reason why not to do it if it fits your needs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
Do you have a location in mind? Seems you would have to travel a long way to be “snow free”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, all this is fairly preliminary, but you're correct wherever that might be would be a thousand miles give or take. It's not ideal, but I just can't figure out any other way to get to use the RV when we'd really like to be using it.

Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

I read on another forum where a guy did something similar with a motorhome. He parked it in Arizona and flew down to use it during the worst winter months when he had free time. He would drive it back home for the summer and then take it back to Arizona and park it and fly back home in the fall. This arrangement would be a little more challenging with a truck and TT but creative minds and the right financial situation could make it work. Good luck to you.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

Enjoy your plans. I would spend a long time checking security of storage lot, wireless setup too maybe to know if it moves.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Lots of people do this. RV parks in the 'snowbird' regions can give you alternatives. For example, the KOA in Albuquerque has a storage area set aside. One of the RV parks here in Las Cruces, NM also has a storage lot.

We know people who leave their trailer in Brownsville at an RV park. They call with their arrival time and the folks will move the trailer to a site and set it up for them. Since they stay there all winter they don't even drive a truck, just their sedan.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote