Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
WE own a 30 foot Greyhawk Class C. On our last long trip, 40 days. We bought a hot spot from AT&T. They allowed us so much Data I guess it is called for a month. Well, since I do all of our banking and send a blog each day, we very shortly ran out of Data. AT&T charged us an additional 15 dollars for more DATA. Then we used that up very shortly. The AT&T policy on overages of DATA use has changed. They no longer charge for additional date, they simply slow your stream down. It became so slow that we were unable to even get on line let alone use the WIFI. Plus they got rid of the unlimited data plans.
Stopping at a McDonalds with a 30 foot motor home is not always an easy thing to do. Plus our plan was to boon dock as much as we could with out using paid camping grounds.
I know there must be something out there that we can use to up grade our WIFI availability, without busting our bank.
WE are not trying to make a living while on our trips. WE are both retired and just want to travel and still stay in touch with family and friends.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

1SG Pete
I have the att unlimited more plan - it never throttles you unless there is network congestion.

You also get a 15gb of personal hotspot that will throttle after it is used up

You get 30+ streaming live cable channels and one premium channel (you can’t change your mind for 12 months once you pick it)

There is another positive, I activated my tablet on this plan for $20 extra a month that is also not throttled but what I also did was buy the netgear night hawk router for 199 and simply transferred my tablet sim to the night gear. (The night hawk needs a mini sim so you may need an adapter - amazon sells them cheap)

I just got back from a 3 week rv trip and we put 170gb on it including my apple tv and youtube tv.

The night hawk has 2 connectors for external antennas- I didn’t hook up any, although it is nice if needed.

If you are a first responder they have a new first net program that gives you 25% off and you get priority network access during an emergency.

I believe they also give 25% for military and veterans
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #42
Lost in the Woods

OK, I'm trying to decide the best way to go with this situation in the new coach. Hotspot off of existing phones, get a jetpack, get a cell booster, get a burner phone for hotspotting, etc.. etc.. etc..

I hotspot my laptop and tablets from my phone and it doesn't use a lot of data. Trying to guestimate data usage overall.

I'm on Verizon, and we roll over unused data each month that we don't use, so I'm wondering if that excess allotment will be a big enough cushion for the occasional camping trips.

Question, can anyone tell me the average amount of data that gets used when they stream a Netflix movie from their hotspot to a SMART TV? Or, amount of data used when streaming regular TV channels for a few hours at night?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #43

If you search eBay for unlimited AT&T data plan, you will find sellers that are able to send you a SIM activated on an unlimited corporate data plan that AT&T no longer offers. You can get the SIM by itself or a hotspot device with the SIM. The plan is $29.99/month unlimited. Most of these sellers are AT&T retailers. There is no contract, this is a month to month prepaid service. I got mine in eBay from a shop in Oklahoma. They sent me the SIM and created an account for me on AT&T. They sent instructions on how to change the account password, and add my credit card (on AT&T's website) for the monthly charges. We have unlimited data phone plans with T-Mobile, but we found that as soon as we get out of a major highway and head to a campground, T-Mobiles' service is gone. We use a hotspot in the truck with the AT&T SIM and can continue using our phones (WIFI calling) and Google Maps after we lose T-Mobile's signal.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

Question, can anyone tell me the average amount of data that gets used when they stream a Netflix movie from their hotspot to a SMART TV? Or, amount of data used when streaming regular TV channels for a few hours at night?
That is what we were doing some regular youtube, netflix, youtube tv via my apple tv at 1080p - 4k is also 4x as much data. We used about 50gb a week
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote