Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #21

It seems that the tankless water heaters all have a love/hate relationship with their owners. Our 2014 Greyhawk 31FS has an early model and it took time, a lot of time, to master it. Unlike newer models of the tankless heaters, ours does not have a temp setting. That is, you say you want 101degree water out of the faucet and it more or less delivers that. Ours has a dial where you basically set not the out temp, but the temp of the incoming water. Yes, the incoming. The dial says select the temp of the incoming water and control the temp of the outflow by adjusting the flow up or down. We struggled to master that notion but we got it now. I dislike the fact that it takes longer to get hot water (though it takes two plus minutes to get hot water in the shower in my bathroom at home, it’s a function of distance and plumbing design.) since 90% of our camping is with hookups, we can indulge ourselves in leisurely showers if we want and NEVER run out of hot water. But the best part is that we use a fraction of the propane we used in every other RV going back to 1976. That makes us very happy with our tankless system despite its sometimes annoying characteristics.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #22

I have one and needed to get adjustable pressure regulator so pressure is above 43 for my unit. The non adjustable kind of pressure regulator caused the problem you described.
I have a Jayco Precept.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Before folks start thinking they reduced the size of the fresh water tank, remember the water heater tank is included in the fresh water capacity specs.
No tank, less fresh water capacity.
Are you certain about this? I've never seen it written that Jayco reduces an advertised freshwater capacity when they don't install a tank water heater?
CleaverF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #24
RJR

We also have a 2021 Pinnacle with a Fogatti on demand water heater. We have a seasonal site with full hookups and love it, not so good for boondocking as it does use allot of water. We are located in Northern Michigan so very cold spring and fall camping, below freezing and the system if turned on will automatically temper the water to 50 degrees to keep it from freezing as long as the system is on. I think it depends on how you plan to use it, not good at all for boondocking as it takes too much water to get hot, great for a full hookup site as you never run out of hot water......it not working properly as said above likely a pressure setting that is cutting out the unit. We run it on full hot at top temp 123 degrees and once up to temp temper with a little cold to desired temp and works great for us. We do run a pressure regulator and so far run from 50-60 psi and no issues with the tank turning off.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleaverF22 View Post
Are you certain about this? I've never seen it written that Jayco reduces an advertised freshwater capacity when they don't install a tank water heater?
No I am not but they do include the water heater capacity in the fresh capacity. So if the water heater has no storage capacity it should not be included, but that would require common sense deduction.

It's not a major error I guess because the most it could throw the weights off is 50-60 lbs at the worst.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #26

I have learned to only use the hot water faucet. I set the temp for 104. It works perfect. Then after shower I adjust hot water temp for dishes. I upgraded my shower head.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #27

We always had trouble with our Girrard, until I bought a "good" water regulator. It all has to do with water flow. Minimum pressure is only 45lbs. All the simple regulators control pressure by restricting (fluctuating) the flow. Once I got a regulator that consistently flowed enough water, it worked great. We love our back to back long showers.
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #28

Demand Water Heatet

2017 Greyhawk with a demand water heater. Took it to the dealer because of cold water. They ran it for an hour. Hot water whole time. We hated it. About Three months ago I bought an adjustable water pressure regulator. Set it to 50 PSI. Guess what. Several showers since. Not one temp drop except when returning from a pause. Now enjoy it.
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #29

re: Fogatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan kehlenbrink View Post
2021 Pinnacle with fogatti water heater. Hate the heater, lots of cold showers, very sporadic hot water. Waste a lot of water. Jayco will do nothing about it. Very poor water heater in high end RV. Will never purchase another Jayco product or recommend them. Customer service had no concern that we were so dissatisfied.
Etrailer.com also appears to be a Fogatti dealer; (maybe?) a phone call to them would help you find a cure/ solution; if they did not have answers, maybe they can point you to whoever does?
https://www.etrailer.com/customer-service.aspx

Otherwise: https://www.bing.com/search?q=fogatt...B01&PC=EDGEDSE
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #30

Propane regulator issue

Quote:
2021 Pinnacle with fogatti water heater. Hate the heater, lots of cold showers, very sporadic hot water. Waste a lot of water. Jayco will do nothing about it. Very poor water heater in high end RV. Will never purchase another Jayco product or recommend them. Customer service had no concern that we were so dissatisfied.
I had a bad pressure regulator. once it was replace a year, never had a problem since. Love it...
MSG Coons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Coons View Post
I had a bad pressure regulator. once it was replace a year, never had a problem since. Love it...
MIGHT want to clarify to OP if it was GAS PRESSURE REG OR WATER PRESSURE REG?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:13 PM   #32

Quote:
On our 2015 Jayco Precept we had the same problem. The service tech at Hilmerson RV in Little Falls Minnesota told us to look at the hose/showerhead. If there is a plastic restrictor(washer) in it....drill it out so there is a steadier flow of water. We did this and the on demand water heater works without shutting down. Hope this helps.
ErnieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #33

Quote:
I have a tankless water heater and after a little learning curve I am very pleased with it. Here is what I learned and what works for me.
1) I have an adjustable water pressure regulator set at 45 psi. if I don't have 45 psi (it happens) I use the freshwater tank for showers.
2) I set the water temp on the heater at 104 and when I take a shower it takes exactly 7 seconds from the time you turn on the shower till you get104 degree water (hot water only, no cold mix), It will stay at 104 as long as you keep it turned on.
3) If you are in water conservation/don't fill the grey tank mode then you do
this: turn on the water get wet, water off. Soap up, water back on, it will feel just fine for a few seconds, then for exactly 5 seconds you will get cold water, then you will have 104 degree water after the 5 seconds delay. Repeat as much as you need to get squeaky clean. With my old camper with a tank heater I spent more time and wasted as much water messing with the on/off valve and temp adjustment.
4) If you want hotter water for dishes or showers set the water temp as hot or as cold as you want.

I have had 4 full seasons of camping in our present camper and if I had the choice on a new camper I would go tankless. I have not had a single issue with our heater and it makes winterization easier than with a tank type heater. Hope you find the solution that is best for you. Happy Camping and God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #34

Installed a Truma..Love it!..Expensive but worth it!..Great for showers..
rickstracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #35

re: hot water heater in Jayco Pinnacle trailer.

We have 2018 Jayco North Point and had same intermittent
hot water..
Our insurance paid the dealership we bought our trailer to
install a new brass CHECK VALVE inside the water heater that FIXED the problem.
jayconorthpoint18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:04 PM   #36

We just cam back from our first weekend in our 22 Esteem 29V. We have the Girard water heater. It does take a little time to get use to it. I found that once its on, leave it on. With showers (I have it set for 117), I turn the hot water on to a certain location, wait a minute till it gets hot, and then adjust some cold water in the mix to get it just right. I run it that way till I'm done. We also do the same for the dishes. We mostly stay at full hookup locations. So far we adjusted a little and it seems like it works as it should.
2022 Entegra Esteem 29V
Meadowlark Paint
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #37

Love our heater

We needed to find out how to use it. First and most importantly do not use any cold water when using it. You set your temp for the water at your desired warmth and only use the hot water. You do get a serge of cold when you turn it off and on. We checked water consumption in shower by collecting water in a small tub. It is minimal to warm up. We love this unit
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #38

This is exactly how we use ours.
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #39

Hi! We also have a 2021 Pinnacle with that same hot water heater. We had to get the first one replaced, it was faulty and wouldn't fire up. Once we got the new one, we love it...unlimited hot water! We did notice though that if water pressure is low, it will only give sporadic hot water. Our work around was when we are in parks with low water pressure, we fill out water tank and use our pump and it solves the problem. Another potential issue that we discovered on another trailer we had was the back flow valve into the water heater was plastic and was getting stuck in the partly open position which was significantly affecting our water pressure, we switched it out ourselves with a galvanized valve. Worst case, could flip it out for a regular hot water heater.
Greg Blakeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Blakeley View Post
Hi! We also have a 2021 Pinnacle with that same hot water heater. We had to get the first one replaced, it was faulty and wouldn't fire up. Once we got the new one, we love it...unlimited hot water! We did notice though that if water pressure is low, it will only give sporadic hot water. Our work around was when we are in parks with low water pressure, we fill out water tank and use our pump and it solves the problem. Another potential issue that we discovered on another trailer we had was the back flow valve into the water heater was plastic and was getting stuck in the partly open position which was significantly affecting our water pressure, we switched it out ourselves with a galvanized valve. Worst case, could flip it out for a regular hot water heater.

I presume our '21 Pinnacle has the same water heater, and I agree it works great. never run out of hot water. I was not aware of the low water pressure issue, good to know. Also, where is that back flow valve located? For learning purposes, lol. I also like to look at the electronic pad for the heater by the door and their way of showing the water running through the heater. A visual indication it is working along with the sound of the heater starting.