Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #1

On demand water heater

2021 Pinnacle with fogatti water heater. Hate the heater, lots of cold showers, very sporadic hot water. Waste a lot of water. Jayco will do nothing about it. Very poor water heater in high end RV. Will never purchase another Jayco product or recommend them. Customer service had no concern that we were so dissatisfied.
Dan kehlenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
CAG

I think the general feeling I have seen on this site is most don't like them and switch them out. If you are satisfied with the rig with the exception of that, swap it out and move on. If it is malfunctioning have it fixed. Find a good RV repair shop, get them approved through Jayco and have it looked at.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

On demand are sensitive to flow and pressure. Could just need an adjustment. Are you using a pressure regulator?
Old 09-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

I heard from someone on this forum that they quit installing tankless water heaters. Guess that was wrong.

I had one in my 2017 Greyhawk and absolutely hated it. Installed a tank model myself and couldn't be happier. The water is hotter (would burn you if not careful) and works great for showers. Washing dishes also is MUCH better. The water is definitely hotter and you don't waste much when rinsing with warm water at a slow trickle.

If you dry camp you will NEVER like your current setup. Water temp plus wasted water will just make you mad.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I heard from someone on this forum that they quit installing tankless water heaters. Guess that was wrong.
I think right now they are using whatever they can get their hands on.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #6

We have a tankless, but it's a Girard. Like others have posted - the forum is pretty much on the "hate them" side of things but there are a few of us who've come to like them.

I don't know if the Fogatti brand is like the Girard, but try some of these things:
- Grumpy's right. Very sensitive to fluctuations in flow. So try taking a hot shower just using the fresh-water tank. Not the city-water connection.
- use the controller to set the hot water temperature to what you want. Try showering with only hot, do not mix in any cold water

These are the two things we do to make the Girard work for us.
Looking at the Amazon pictures, a swap with a tanked Suburban might be easy.

Reading ONE Q&A says the Fogatti is NOT to be used above 2000'.
Ouch - that can't be right.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #7

Welcome Aboard!

Tankless water heaters can be temperamental. The controller turns on/off the burner based on a pressure drop. I have one in our house and like it, but no way would I want one in a camper.

What type of camping do you do? Boondock? Seasonal campsite? Full hookup weekender? Partial hook up weekender?

If you are at a full hook up site, they probably work great, as you can just open the valve and waste lots of water down the connected sewer drain. If you have crazy high city water pressure the pressure sensor may have some issues, if so, add a pressure regulator set to 40-50 psi on your hose.

Every time you turn off the water flow, the burner shuts down. Every time you open the hot water valve, the burner first purges the flame chamber, then ignites the burner. This takes a little time so you get a big slug of cold water. Horrid when you are taking a shower.

A member, I believe with a Super C, added an additional pump after the water heater, and a section of pex, to the end of his hot water line, to create a recirculation loop. Don't recall if he dumps the water back into his FW tank, or if it is plumbed back to the water heater (probably need a check valve). When he wants continuous hot water (aka shower time). He pushes a button, that starts the recirculation pump. He can start/stop his shower, and never have a slug of cold water. The burner adjusts the flame to keep from overheating the water.

At home it took a few weeks to change our habits, and we do waste more water, but make up for it with gas savings. As boondockers, or with an electric only campsite, with limited water storage, a tankless water heater is not your friend.

FYI, I have seen people in their stick built homes, add a small electric water heater after the tankless water heater or under a bathroom sink, and/or add a recirculation loop. Pending on your camping styles, both maybe a good solution.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #8

well, we have a Fogatti on our '21 Pinnacle, and so far so good. Of course we are new at this and only used it on our first outing for 2 nights. I don't recall cold showers, maybe it was too much alcohol. Heck, we thought we had a tank based water heater based on the spec sheet we had. The dealer finally looked at me and told me it did not have a tank anywhere. We have yet to use the fresh water tank, strictly city/ county water. Maybe I will hook up the water hose here at home and play with the thing, but we had hot water for dishes and showers. I even tried timing the showers, thinking I would allow the tank that I don't have to recover. It was definitely the alcohol, lol. And NO, at home we have had a tank-less heater for 21 years and no electric heaters, wouldn't trade it for anything. We have a guest cottage at the farm, and it also has a Rinnai tank-less water heater
Old 09-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
On demand are sensitive to flow and pressure. Could just need an adjustment. Are you using a pressure regulator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We have a tankless, but it's a Girard. Like others have posted - the forum is pretty much on the "hate them" side of things but there are a few of us who've come to like them.

I don't know if the Fogatti brand is like the Girard, but try some of these things:
- Grumpy's right. Very sensitive to fluctuations in flow. So try taking a hot shower just using the fresh-water tank. Not the city-water connection.
- use the controller to set the hot water temperature to what you want. Try showering with only hot, do not mix in any cold water

These are the two things we do to make the Girard work for us.
Looking at the Amazon pictures, a swap with a tanked Suburban might be easy.

Reading ONE Q&A says the Fogatti is NOT to be used above 2000'.
Ouch - that can't be right.
Agree completely! Adjust the water temperature to how you like your hot shower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Tankless water heaters can be temperamental. The controller turns on/off the burner based on a pressure drop. I have one in our house and like it, but no way would I want one in a camper.

What type of camping do you do? Boondock? Seasonal campsite? Full hookup weekender? Partial hook up weekender?

If you are at a full hook up site, they probably work great, as you can just open the valve and waste lots of water down the connected sewer drain. If you have crazy high city water pressure the pressure sensor may have some issues, if so, add a pressure regulator set to 40-50 psi on your hose.

Every time you turn off the water flow, the burner shuts down. Every time you open the hot water valve, the burner first purges the flame chamber, then ignites the burner. This takes a little time so you get a big slug of cold water. Horrid when you are taking a shower.

A member, I believe with a Super C, added an additional pump after the water heater, and a section of pex, to the end of his hot water line, to create a recirculation loop. Don't recall if he dumps the water back into his FW tank, or if it is plumbed back to the water heater (probably need a check valve). When he wants continuous hot water (aka shower time). He pushes a button, that starts the recirculation pump. He can start/stop his shower, and never have a slug of cold water. The burner adjusts the flame to keep from overheating the water.
That would be us... read the thread here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...hot-36132.html
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #10

My tankless works great no issues. Set the temperature turn on the knob for hot water and leave it on. Do not use the cold knob to adjust the temperature that is what the temperature setting is for. Once I learned that no issues with cold spurts.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #11

Other issue with tankless Girard

We've figured out the inconsistent hot water flow by adjusting the inside temp control and watching the water supply pressure, although the 'instant' hot water isn't so instant, we're happy with it...other than the thumping noise that occurs every couple minutes after using the water, even just the cold. It quiets down after a while, but during the night, it can be disturbing, it's a bit noisy anyway during normal use, but this 'after use' noise is an issue. I've checked the air bubble issues and also doesn't seem to get the thumping when hooked up to city supply.
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

I don't have one in the trailer, but I have installed them in my rental properties and have had all the same complaints PLUS one that hasn't been posted. All of them have a control board that operates and monitors the flow plus temp to operate the burner. They also use a power supply that monitors the inbound voltage. They are much more sensitive to brown voltage and spikes than say your microwave. Much more.

As some have discovered, shore line power can fluctuate....sometimes a lot, hence the popularity of the electricity management systems.

The power supply usually always, in the brands I'm familiar with, has the intelligence to shut down the unit and throw an E5 code or similar locking the system. After that, no more hot water! until a proper reset, or in the case of one brand, a new supply board is required. I found all this out when a tenant called screaming at me that they don't have any hot water and need to go to work. Blah, blah. Talked to the manfr, the city service center and the electric company. Bottom line: Storms came through on a 95+ day, the electric company confirmed outages and fluctuating brown voltage with surges and voila, the system locked itself.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

I read there are two types a heater you can adjust the hot water temperature. And one that is set. I don’t think Jayco would put water heaters in that do not work. This seems to be new to people and will need time to get it down pat. One thing to remember you don’t carry around 6 or 10 gallons of water around. This is a weight savings. Give it time and take the advice you get on this forum. They will never tell you bad advice. Good luck and things will work out!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:53 PM   #14

The thumping is the pulsing of the water pump. A pulsing RV water pump is a fairly common occurrence, and not necessarily an indication of the system malfunctioning. The pump will pulsate when it is trying to regulate the water pressure while the system is in use. Pulsing simply means that the system is fluctuating between high and low pressure. When on city there is no use of the pump hence no pulsing.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #15

Originally had a Girrard Gen 3(I think) in our 2017 Eagle, it sucked. After 3 years of trouble we switched it out for a Truma and so far (knock on wood) 2 seasons in it has been flawless.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
Site Team

Before folks start thinking they reduced the size of the fresh water tank, remember the water heater tank is included in the fresh water capacity specs.
No tank, less fresh water capacity.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #17

The 'thump' I'm hearing is definitely in the tankless water heater, and comes after use, sometimes 20 minutes or so, and then every couple minutes for a couple hours, sometimes into the night, and definitely not hearing when on a city hookup.
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think the general feeling I have seen on this site is most don't like them and switch them out. If you are satisfied with the rig with the exception of that, swap it out and move on. If it is malfunctioning have it fixed. Find a good RV repair shop, get them approved through Jayco and have it looked at.
I think you will find most people that are satisfied with them don’t post. I have the Girard in my Precept and love it. Just turn the hot water on and shower. No mixing hot and cold like my previous tank model and yes with the tank model you get the cold water when turning back on.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamnpete View Post
The 'thump' I'm hearing is definitely in the tankless water heater, and comes after use, sometimes 20 minutes or so, and then every couple minutes for a couple hours, sometimes into the night, and definitely not hearing when on a city hookup.
You may have a leak...... check the lower right side of the heater there the water pipe assembly flow tube is located. A set screw in the small lip is the only thing holding it in place. Mine leaked there and i put a wedge up underneath it so it would not drop and put pressure upward into the o-ring. It is a pipe with an o-ring that sets in the line that goes to the manifold. Gravity and road bumps and jarring can cause it to drop and leak or in the winter any water icing in that line will expand and can cause it to unseat. See attachment Pg 21. item 19.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf On demand water heaterGSWH-1-24-ENG-694.pdf (4.69 MB, 28 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #20

We have a 2018 Jayco. I spent the first year hating the water heater and when I finally learned how to use it properly, I grew to love it. We dry camp as well as full hook up camping. It's got to do with your water regulator controlling the pressure correctly and setting your water temperature so that you don't even have to turn the cold water on. I prefer it to my previous water heaters now. Jayco has been great for us. This is our 4th Jayco camper from the same dealer. In my opinion, it has more to do with your dealer than Jayco itself.
Barbmitc is offline   Reply With Quote