Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

On line directions or RV friendly gps

I have a fifth wheel and was wondering if there is a RV friendly source for driving directions, examples of height clearances,hill, mountains, narrow roads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

I have a Garmin RV660; it is advertised as allowing for an RV's height, weight, and length in calculating a route. It works fairly well most of the time, but can not be totally relied on.

Opinions here on the forum are very varied about GPS's and there are a lot of threads about the subject. If you will use the forum search function and search for "GPS Garmin" (don't use the quote marks) you will turn up many threads and postings about all types of GPS's and some from posters who do not think that they are useful.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

We use a Garmin 760 e/w backup camera. Mines about 1 1/2years old so they may have a newer model.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

We use an android app on our tablet called Copilot. Basic app is free but no traffic or voice guidance. You can buy lifetime map updates for different countries and lifetime voice Guidance. Total app with lifetime maps and voice guidance is under $50.00 It is a yearly fee for the traffic updates. Basic includes an RV mode that allows for two height warnings. It is a bit different to setup but does work pretty well. Downside is it uses Yelp for its internet search engine. I would like to see it return to google. Yelp repeatedly can't find what you're looking for. I also have rvparkadvisor app on tablet. Can copy and paste address into copilot.

We have tablet with us anyway so using it in a cupholder mount for our GPS works great. 8 inch display you can glance quickly at to know what the road ahead has for traffic delays or curves bridges towns cities and Poi. Mounted below dash it is out of your sightlines for traffic

Many different solutions out there

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for all your help

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

Stop at any big truck stop and pick up a truckers road atlas. Good to have when the GPS crapps out. These will show all the bigger roads, mt pass altitude, mt grade angles etc.
AFDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I have a Garmin RV660; it is advertised as allowing for an RV's height, weight, and length in calculating a route. It works fairly well most of the time, but can not be totally relied on.

Opinions here on the forum are very varied about GPS's and there are a lot of threads about the subject. If you will use the forum search function and search for "GPS Garmin" (don't use the quote marks) you will turn up many threads and postings about all types of GPS's and some from posters who do not think that they are useful.
X2. But I have the 760LMT model. You can also download Route-1 that will interface with your GPS and has over 5,000 low clearance obstacles. You can set the trigger distance to give yourself plenty of warning. Go to lowclearances.com
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDon View Post
Stop at any big truck stop and pick up a truckers road atlas. Good to have when the GPS crapps out. These will show all the bigger roads, mt pass altitude, mt grade angles etc.
Also, there are commercial truck specific GPS units that you can even specify trailer lengths, widths, etc. They assume a 13' 6" tall semi trailer. Not sure, but maybe that can be altered as well.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #9

CoPilot is made by the company that makes truck routing for every big rig trucking company in the US. Everyone uses it and it's crazy accurate. Hard to beat their routing information. I know first hand after working in IT with the software for one of the largest carriers in the US for the past 12 years.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote