Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Onan 5500 RV generator

Performing one of my annual springtime chores today, that being changing the oil and filter in the generator of our Jayco Pinnacle. This seems like more of a hassle than it should be. There's a very handy drain tube with a valve which makes it possible to drain the oil without a wrench. Unfortunately the flow rate was worse than molasses in January. The oil was not particularly cold and should have flowed faster. After finally getting the oil drained the next onerous step was getting oil back in. The first quart went in fairly quickly. After that it seems as though the oil has to go in by the tablespoon or it spills out. Is anyone else having these problems or do I have a problem child generator?

Jim
Old 06-08-2021, 03:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
Performing one of my annual springtime chores today, that being changing the oil and filter in the generator of our Jayco Pinnacle. This seems like more of a hassle than it should be. There's a very handy drain tube with a valve which makes it possible to drain the oil without a wrench. Unfortunately the flow rate was worse than molasses in January. The oil was not particularly cold and should have flowed faster. After finally getting the oil drained the next onerous step was getting oil back in. The first quart went in fairly quickly. After that it seems as though the oil has to go in by the tablespoon or it spills out. Is anyone else having these problems or do I have a problem child generator?

Jim
I don't but will be taking delivery of a new 36FBTS is a few weeks and a similar Genny. Will be looking at this thread with interest. How do you like it?
Old 06-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #3

Yep, with the goofy raised fill hole it take me 20 minutes to get that last quart in there as well. Never had an issue draining, Did you run the gen for a little bit to warm it up before draining? This will thin the oil and suspend any dirt in the oil.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I don't but will be taking delivery of a new 36FBTS is a few weeks and a similar Genny. Will be looking at this thread with interest. How do you like it?
Other than the oil change issue, it's worked very well. Ours is propane fueled which we really appreciate. It will run both air conditioners with no problem and alway starts easily.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunke View Post
Yep, with the goofy raised fill hole it take me 20 minutes to get that last quart in there as well. Never had an issue draining, Did you run the gen for a little bit to warm it up before draining? This will thin the oil and suspend any dirt in the oil.
I did, but possibly no long enough. It's something I'll be sure to do next time. Thanks for your info about the filling process. It puts my mind at ease somewhat.

Jim
Old 06-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
Other than the oil change issue, it's worked very well. Ours is propane fueled which we really appreciate. It will run both air conditioners with no problem and alway starts easily.
Thanks, ours is propane as well. Looking forward to using it
Old 06-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

To get that second quart in a little trick I do. When the fill starts to back up stop, put the dip stick back in, bump the starter just for a couple of revolutions. Remove the dip stick and now you have room for some more. When it starts to fill up again put the dip stick back in and repeat as above. I usually have to do this 2-3 times to finish getting he last of the second quart in.

Do Not accidentally bump the starter if you forgot to put the dip stick back in. Don't ask me how I know this. I had someone with me when I did this and we were chatting.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
To get that second quart in a little trick I do. When the fill starts to back up stop, put the dip stick back in, bump the starter just for a couple of revolutions. Remove the dip stick and now you have room for some more. When it starts to fill up again put the dip stick back in and repeat as above. I usually have to do this 2-3 times to finish getting he last of the second quart in.

Do Not accidentally bump the starter if you forgot to put the dip stick back in. Don't ask me how I know this. I had someone with me when I did this and we were chatting.
Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. Sadly, I'm familiar with what happens when the dip stick is left off.

Jim