Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #21

It simply doesn’t. The heat gain off a RV w/ minimal insulation value in the walls and ceiling, and essentially non-existant R-value in the windows really pushes a single AC. As our collective experience is largely relaying; if its really hot outside and you’re in full sun, you’re probably going to struggle w/ 1 AC in a 30+ foot rig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
What is the BTU of the portable AC in the picture? How to put the duct through window?

Some on amazon have 14000 BTU and claim to work for 500-700 square feet. How many square feet does a 32 feet RV have?

In reverse order, they may work for a house that's got insulation R-13 or R-26 in the walls and R-43 in the ceiling. I don't know the R value in an RV but it ain't much.

I built a 1/4" plywood panel in the shape of the window, with tabs so it pops in and out.

The BTU on the portable is something like 10K, not much. Plus the exhaust hose gets hot which adds some heat back into the RV.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #23

Quote:
So one AC 15000BTU should work well for a 32 feet RV. everything depends on how hot outside is.

Like everyone else has said - it doesn't work for us. If you're OK with 100* F outside and 105*F inside, then "yes, it'll work."

The first year we had the thing, we just drove from Co to Nebraska. It was mid 90's outside. But bright sun on a black road. Mom was driving and the cab air kept her cool. I was in the back, generating running and the AC on full.

It was pushing 100*F in the coach.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Like everyone else has said - it doesn't work for us. If you're OK with 100* F outside and 105*F inside, then "yes, it'll work."

The first year we had the thing, we just drove from Co to Nebraska. It was mid 90's outside. But bright sun on a black road. Mom was driving and the cab air kept her cool. I was in the back, generating running and the AC on full.

It was pushing 100*F in the coach.
After hearing your experience with heat, like to downsize RV to 28.8 feet. easier to drive and easier for AC to cool down.

Wondering if there is anything like umbrella(or awning) to cover the whole RV from burning sun.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #25

Our 32' Greyhawk had only 1 13.5k AC. When it was in the upper 90s, the motorhome would stay cool, but the AC would run constantly. To get it to cool, the door (with the window covered with reflectix) stayed shut and so did the day night shades. We wouldn't cook inside or do anything that would produce excessive heat. We used a thermal curtain between the cab and the house. Open the door to go out and the temp inside would go up quite a bit.

I wouldn't want to own another 32' Class C with only 1 AC.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #26

They have a two AC option with power management run on 30amp.
We just ordered our 29V that way.
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #27

Depends on where you camp, solar exposure, interior loads etc.
We were in Texas on the Rio Grande as well as Pheonix Arizona and the first thing I did was take out the roof vent in the bedroom and throw a 13,500 A/C with its own circuit and extension cord that we can plug in at the 20 amp receptacle at the power pedestal.
We now have the day zone (original 15,500) A/C and an evening zone or both which came in handy in both places.
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #28

We're have lived in our Jayflight 34rsbs for several years now in Southeast Texas. It came with 2 a/c units but we've never run the bedroom unit. The 15,000 in the main living area is ducted to the bedroom with one vent. At night we are comfortable with the addition of a tall fan in the corner of the bedroom. During the late afternoon in the heat of summer it gets a little warm in the living area but a second fan in that area takes care of it.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #29

This discussion makes me wonder if there is a difference in the different A/C's cooling ability, or each RV'rs temperature\humidity comfort level, or some RV differences. I know I can get 25~30 degrees cooler inside than outside, ~30 degrees if the RV was already cooled off in the morning hours (along with some of the measures I mentioned earlier) and ~25 if I turn it on in the afternoon after about an hour of running. Mine is 32' with a 15k a/c... I suppose the difference is a combination of all those things I mentioned. ~CA
Old 05-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
This discussion makes me wonder if there is a difference in the different A/C's cooling ability, or each RV'rs temperature\humidity comfort level, or some RV differences. ~CA
Humidity is the key when it comes to cooling. 80 and 30% humidity can feel as comfortable as 70 and 60% humidity. That's why swamp coolers/evaporators work in the Southwest, but not in the Midwest.

And everybody reacts to those parameters differerently.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Humidity is the key when it comes to cooling. 80 and 30% humidity can feel as comfortable as 70 and 60% humidity. That's why swamp coolers/evaporators work in the Southwest, but not in the Midwest.

And everybody reacts to those parameters differerently.

I suspect humidity is the key as you mentioned. I remember being in Las Vegas many years back and the temp was 110+ but it was a dry heat and I could walk the strip without even sweating. At my house today the air temp is ~93 but the heat index is 110 due to recent rains driving the humidity up, very uncomfortable to be outside for sure. ~CA
Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #32

In general, two AC's are better than one. I had 2 in my Greyhawk and was very glad to have them when it gets up in the upper 90's. I know of one dealer in Texas who puts a second AC in every rig that's 27 foot and over. They got tired of customers complaining. If you have a 15,000 btu rather than an 11000, you'll be better off and probably ok most hot days. Greyhawks are already pre-wired for the 2nd AC if you need it. If you take all the measures above to stay cool you can also bring in the slides if you need to. I'm very heat intolerant, so keeping cool is high on my list.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #33

Quote:
1500lbs ccc: not usable.

The only class C(30+ feet) with good ccc I have found so far:

Jayco Redhawk 29XK: 2700 lbs ccc.
Entegra Odyssey 29K: 2400 lbs ccc.

They have only one AC. Redhawk: TPO roof, Odyssey: fiberglass roof, heavier.

IF it is too hot, one AC could not cool it down. any solutions? portable AC?
Entegra Odyssey New for MY2022:
-Dual 13.5K ACs w/energy management system is now available on 26M, 29K, 29V, 27U, 30Z, 31F
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Entegra oKdyssey/Jayco redhawk 29V, 29K, 30Z, 31F

30 amp class C: 32.6 feet long, has one AC.
Usually RV of that length has two ACs, even for 30 amp.

Does one AC work during hot summer?

Nope, I have a Jayco 29 MV, and I live in south Florida and have camped in the desert in the southwest in summer. The 15K btu A/C won't cut it. With a 30 amp RV a second unit is not and option with the 15k up front. I installed a 13K unit in the rear where the fantastic fan was located. I put in a separate 120 V line with a 20 amp breaker box. The 2018 Jayco's were pre-wired for a second A/C. It takes a bit a figuring out but it's not too difficult if you have some basic, skills and electrical knowledge. The rear unit while noisy, cools so well it will even cool the front of the RV by itself at night.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Nope, I have a Jayco 29 MV, and I live in south Florida and have camped in the desert in the southwest in summer. The 15K btu A/C won't cut it. With a 30 amp RV a second unit is not and option with the 15k up front. I installed a 13K unit in the rear where the fantastic fan was located. I put in a separate 120 V line with a 20 amp breaker box. The 2018 Jayco's were pre-wired for a second A/C. It takes a bit a figuring out but it's not too difficult if you have some basic, skills and electrical knowledge. The rear unit while noisy, cools so well it will even cool the front of the RV by itself at night.
Is your second unit in the rear tied into the duct work?

Sometimes that's how I have to cool down the front of the rig. I even installed a 13.5K high efficiency unit up front to replace the 11K unit (2 11K AC option from factory). I'll close out all but 2 of the vents in the bedroom, set the thermostat down low, and it will supplement the front unit through the ducts. If I can get it balanced just right, it works really well that way.

I'm thinking about installing the RV Airflow mod in my front unit.

BTW, when we were shopping this rig, one 15K AC unit was a deal-breaker. We had one 15K unit in our TT, and it could never keep up in the TX summers. To be fair, 110 in August in TX is a tall order for any AC unit. Even though our 29MV has less cubic feet of space to manage, we wanted to be sure we could keep our rig cool enough in the summer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Is your second unit in the rear tied into the duct work?

Sometimes that's how I have to cool down the front of the rig. I even installed a 13.5K high efficiency unit up front to replace the 11K unit (2 11K AC option from factory). I'll close out all but 2 of the vents in the bedroom, set the thermostat down low, and it will supplement the front unit through the ducts. If I can get it balanced just right, it works really well that way.

I'm thinking about installing the RV Airflow mod in my front unit.

BTW, when we were shopping this rig, one 15K AC unit was a deal-breaker. We had one 15K unit in our TT, and it could never keep up in the TX summers. To be fair, 110 in August in TX is a tall order for any AC unit. Even though our 29MV has less cubic feet of space to manage, we wanted to be sure we could keep our rig cool enough in the summer.

My second unit is a a Dometic 13K briscair 2 it is not ducted. (tip put the heating element in it). It will freeze you out. I did the airflow mod in the front A/C and it made a big difference, but still not enough by itself on a very hot day. Like August at Fort Wilderness, but at night we don't need the rear A/C. Except the unit does cancel out exterior noise so it makes sleeping great once you acclimate to it. One of my best upgrades.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #37

I have one 15000 unit and it works fine. Trick is to park in shady area if possible, turn it on early in the morning and pull the shades down. I also turn off the bedroom vents and open the vents on the A/C unit itself. Also have insulated curtains between the cab and coach area and use heatshields on the cab windows.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I have one 15000 unit and it works fine. Trick is to park in shady area if possible, turn it on early in the morning and pull the shades down. I also turn off the bedroom vents and open the vents on the A/C unit itself. Also have insulated curtains between the cab and coach area and use heatshields on the cab windows.

But have you camped in an RV park in Arizona/Nevada in the desert? No trees just Cactus and scrub brush. Good luck with one A/C. Been there done that, used the t-shirt to mop up the sweat.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
But have you camped in an RV park in Arizona/Nevada in the desert? No trees just Cactus and scrub brush. Good luck with one A/C. Been there done that, used the t-shirt to mop up the sweat.

Yes, in January. HAHA. We stay north in the summer heat. I get your point. Even 2 A/C's would have their work cut out for them in extreme high heat with no shade.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Yes, in January. HAHA. We stay north in the summer heat. I get your point. Even 2 A/C's would have their work cut out for them in extreme high heat with no shade.
I can attest to that.

No shade boondocking on the beach, high humidity, in August, ambient temp right at 100 or a few ticks above during the afternoon hours. Both AC units ran pretty much constant for about 72 hours straight. Had the cab curtained off, shade over the windshield, all window shades drawn, and limited door openings. The rig barely kept up that weekend, but did manage to remain "comfortable". IIRC, it got up to 78 inside per the T-stat during the height of the day. I think the AC units MAY have cycled off in the middle of the night a couple times. I'm convinced there's no way 1x 15K AC unit could've come close.

Our only saving grace that weekend was the ocean. The gulf gets pretty warm (about like bath water) so swimming wasn't what I would call "refreshing", but getting wet and then getting out under the canopy in the wind or in the camper managed to help us "cool off" somewhat.

ETA: Presence of water activities has become all but a requirement for our high summer outings. The gulf, a creek, a pool, river, whatever; there HAS to be water we can go "cool off" in during that time of year.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote