Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

OOOOPS slide

I have a 2017 Jayco 287BHSW Jayflight SLX.
We got back from the Races at Atlanta and when I opened the door I saw the half empty 12 pack of Sprite fell on the floor. Didn't think anything of it picked up the 2 cans I saw that rolled out of the carton, picked up the carton put it in garage finished unloading camper.
Fast forward to last weekend. My friend wanted to see the camper so I wanted to put the slide out to get the full affect. Unknown to me a Sprite can rolled behind the slide. When the slide was almost fully open I heard a crunch then a fzzzzz. I pulled the slide on a bit an found a crinkled can of Sprite with a pin hole. After some cussing I opened the slide up an thought nothing of it. We got done I closed it up.
The other day I saw that the "wood" trim on the edge of the slide was pulled away about an inch or so. Hitting it with my hand didn't put it back in place. Figured meh I'll deal with it when I have time.
Today I was flushing the black tank an washing out the hot water tank when I noticed a gap at the bottom of the slide. It was hard to get a pic that would do it justice but as you can see the gap is about 2 fingers wide. An I have large hands.
Any ideas on how the heck I can close that gap? Not sure about the gap inside the slide either.
The gap between the "wood" trim and the side of the slide isn't the length of the gap on the outside of the slide. I'd say the gap between the 2 is about the same.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:51 PM   #2

Forgot pic of outsideClick image for larger version

Name:	20220331_173247.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	80161
Old 03-31-2022, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Forgot pic of outsideAttachment 80161
I would start by running it all the way out. Then all the way back in, before I started to be concerned.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I would start by running it all the way out. Then all the way back in, before I started to be concerned.
I have smashed more than a few Diet Coke cans and once a beer can. After cleaning the mess I ran the slide in and out a few times and it has "reset itself". The interior trim may require something stronger than your hand to get back into place but like mad max said I'd try to reset before I would worry.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Fingers crossed I hope that works.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #6

I would try to cycle it a few times also. If that doesn’t work here is the service manual. You may need to copy and paste the link.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/slideouts/ccd_0001614.pdf
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #7

i had a similar incident on my then brand new RSTS... I placed a floor Swifter on against the Kitchen slide out edge and forgot about it.. When i closed the slide the Swifter handle fell opposite the slide out and lodge the Swifter cleaner pad against the slide out wall. The next time i opened the slide out i discovered the Swifter was demolished and the slide out was crooked.. Called the dealer, they told me to cycle the slide out a few times, that fixes the alignment issue.. When you do cycle process, make sure to allow the motor to run a few seconds after it reached it's end point(s)...
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:25 PM   #8

I was fixin to post that I just let it out an sucked it back in an still have the gap. Glad I checked my post I'll go out there an cycle it a few times.

Thank you
Old 04-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
I would try to cycle it a few times also. If that doesn’t work here is the service manual. You may need to copy and paste the link.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001614.pdf
Thanks for the link. I cycled it 4 times an there's still a gap at the bottom.
Guess it's time to drop the plastic cover underneath an do some adjusting.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
if you can help identify the type of slide mechanism in use we might be able to help further...

If it's a SlimRack slide out, you are probably out of luck without visiting the dealer. You can tell because you will see gear tracks on the sidewall. If it is there is a good chance that it slipped a tooth when it bound up on the soda can. You can verify by counting the number of teeth on the side that sticks out versus the side that does not. Unfortunately SlimRacks cannot be adjusted for gear slippage without removing the entire SlimRack assembly and resynchronizing the gear train on the bench.

The chances of fixing this yourself improve if it's a rack & pinion type slide out system. A lack of a gear track on the wall is a good way to potentially identify this type. The mechanisms are located under the slide for this time and usually have a motor and worm gear assembly on one side, and potentially a dead-man on the other. Those are usually adjustable by loosening the stop nuts on the screw.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
if you can help identify the type of slide mechanism in use we might be able to help further...

If it's a SlimRack slide out, you are probably out of luck without visiting the dealer. You can tell because you will see gear tracks on the sidewall. If it is there is a good chance that it slipped a tooth when it bound up on the soda can. You can verify by counting the number of teeth on the side that sticks out versus the side that does not. Unfortunately SlimRacks cannot be adjusted for gear slippage without removing the entire SlimRack assembly and resynchronizing the gear train on the bench.

The chances of fixing this yourself improve if it's a rack & pinion type slide out system. A lack of a gear track on the wall is a good way to potentially identify this type. The mechanisms are located under the slide for this type and usually have a motor and worm gear assembly on one side, and potentially a dead-man on the other. Those are usually adjustable by loosening the stop nuts on the screw.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post

The chances of fixing this yourself improve if it's a rack & pinion type slide out system. A lack of a gear track on the wall is a good way to potentially identify this type. The mechanisms are located under the slide for this time and usually have a motor and worm gear assembly on one side, and potentially a dead-man on the other. Those are usually adjustable by loosening the stop nuts on the screw.
I believe it is the Slimrack. I was hoping to have it fixed myself before we leave on our trip at the end of this month but if I have to take it to a dealer I guess that won't be happening.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #13

I have a 2017 287bhsw SLX also. The directions I posted a few messages back is for the Lippert through frame. That is what is on these campers There’s 2 things you can easily try. You can disconnect the shaft that connects both sides and try to move the slide out to realign it. I would mark the teeth so you have a reference point. The other thing is to check the bolts at the end of the rack to see if they shifted when the room was jammed. The first picture is the bolt you can take out to separate the two sides. The second is the bolts at the end of the rack to check. You may want to consider replacing the gear packs while you are under. Any bit of wear can cause the room to drag when trying to bring it back in. They are very easy to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
771716AA-CDED-4D83-AB03-62670BE83BD2.jpg   1FA59BE1-48DE-4F82-91B7-1B63087AE162.jpg  
Old 04-12-2022, 03:10 AM   #14

Thinking about it a bit more, you’ll have to drop the gear pack if it skipped a tooth. I thought about it and taking the bolt out will be a good start to try and get it lined up but you’ll have to drop the pack to line up the holes in the shaft again after.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:32 AM   #15

#13 and #14 are great write-ups on how to potentially fix this issue.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #16

FWIW, I have a '21 SLX 287 BHS and have had a similar problem (though with an unknown cause.) Lower right-hand corner when seen from outside. As it's still under warranty, I brought it back to the dealer (now bought out by a national company -- won't get into that story) who adjusted it. We went on another trip, and the same thing happened. Brought it to the new dealer, and was told as long as the seals are working, nothing to worry about, that there are "tolerances". Dunno about that! Anyway, we're trading it for a MH through a different dealer, just awaiting delivery, so I'll let them handle it.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote