Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #11

I often don't have to level BOTH tires on one side of the trailer, thereby leaving one on the ground. I use those yellow plastic wheel chocks - two per side.

I have also had a trailer pivot before due to one side not being chocked. makes for a bit of excitement.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #12

I, too, use the X-Chocks. Both sides. Strange how different people have different experiences with the same issue. I generally check things for myself in "this is what I heard" cases.

My way is the X-Chocks go on FIRST and come off LAST. The trick is they must be placed perfectly. Centered and vertical. Plus you must be reasonable level. Most campsites are reasonably level. Don't expect them to hold on a 30 degree slope. I know what the manufacturer states but their warning is lawyer driven.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I, too, use the X-Chocks. Both sides. Strange how different people have different experiences with the same issue. I generally check things for myself in "this is what I heard" cases.

My way is the X-Chocks go on FIRST and come off LAST. The trick is they must be placed perfectly. Centered and vertical. Plus you must be reasonable level. Most campsites are reasonably level. Don't expect them to hold on a 30 degree slope. I know what the manufacturer states but their warning is lawyer driven.
I also have the Bal X-Chock's and they are first on last off. I once forgot to remove one of them on my 32BHDS and tried to pull out of my site. when I looked in the side mirror both tires on that side where just sliding in the gravel site. Point is they hold very well.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
When one side is higher to level trailer i use my ratcheting wheel lock that goes between the tires and applies pressure works great no movement
x3

Been there, done that. Bent the tongue jack 250 miles away from home in the U.P. I always have a floor jack along, so I was still able to hook up, but at the time, I think every mother in the cg had to cover their kids ears.... Fortunitly, we passed one large RV store in Ishpeming Mi on our way to Straights SP for the night, and bought a new one late Saturday afternoon. Man talk about a rough day... I now never...ever...ever... remove the chocks or wheel x chock until the camper is attached to the TV, espicially if I am using my linx levelers on one side or the other. I always put the x chock on what ever side has blocks, or if none are being used, its on the slide side..

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #15

I find that a good pair of rubber chocks will grip just fine on the Lego blocks allowing me to chock both sides, even on an unlevel site.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Re; solid concrete block?
Would the use of a short length of 8x8 or similiar sized timber be easier to work with? When not in use does the concrete block ride in the TV bed or is it carried in the storage bay of the TT? Does it slide around in its stored location? Even solid concrete blocks are quite brittle when dropped or when something is dropped on them. Also the TT jack leg seems to "settle" into a wood block better while it may "slide" off a concrete block? We all seem to do what works best for us but concrete?
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
Re; solid concrete block?
Would the use of a short length of 8x8 or similiar sized timber be easier to work with? When not in use does the concrete block ride in the TV bed or is it carried in the storage bay of the TT? Does it slide around in its stored location? Even solid concrete blocks are quite brittle when dropped or when something is dropped on them. Also the TT jack leg seems to "settle" into a wood block better while it may "slide" off a concrete block? We all seem to do what works best for us but concrete?
The block travels in the back of my TV. I didn’t slide around in my old truck with a Line-X bed nor does it slide in my newer truck with a Bedrug.
With the inertia generated when the TT rolled off the leveler blocks, I don’t think the jack would have stayed on any block with a flat surface. I may try a wood block and route out a shallow depression for the jack footing…still that set up may slide where the block makes contacts the ground (if this ever happens again) but the jack may not fall off the block.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #18

With the BAL chocks the camper is not gonna go anywhere because they apply pressure in reverse directions on both tires. If there is a huge incline then I use a piece of RailRoad tie to chock the wheels as well. Most cases the trailer will not go anywhere with the BAL x chocks.
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I also have the Bal X-Chock's and they are first on last off. I once forgot to remove one of them on my 32BHDS and tried to pull out of my site. when I looked in the side mirror both tires on that side where just sliding in the gravel site. Point is they hold very well.
This makes me feel better about using mine. I had read the instructions which (as mentioned) say not to use them to chock the trailer's entire weight, and had read some accounts of them coming off or the possibility of ruining tires, and whatnot (stories; they can't put it on the internet if it's not true, right? ). Sometimes you just never know with these things. I don't know if I'm going to change my order of operations, but it's definitely food for thought... I'd have to change my shorts if my trailer did something like that!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #20

If I can only chock one side because of leveling blocks I chock that one side with one behind rear tire and one chock in front of front tire that way it cant roll ether direction and it does work.

2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote