Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #21

Of course, these things always happen the one time you weren't diligent to wear your rubber gloves… It takes a long time to scrub your hands clean after that.

Now I never mess with my drain without at least the hand operating the caps in a glove.
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerScott View Post
Of course, these things always happen the one time you weren't diligent to wear your rubber gloves… It takes a long time to scrub your hands clean after that.

Now I never mess with my drain without at least the hand operating the caps in a glove.
I almost shed a tear when I took my gloves off and confirmed that the liquid went over the top and down inside. Maybe not because I was sad, but because the odor was eye-watering, hahahaha....

Scrubbed multiple times when we got home. Then scrubbed again for good measure!
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
I almost shed a tear when I took my gloves off and confirmed that the liquid went over the top and down inside. Maybe not because I was sad, but because the odor was eye-watering, hahahaha....
If they at least kept it out of your fingernails, you started out ahead.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #24

My DW won't even come outside while I am taking care of the black water dumping. We watched the movie RV and she said she does not want to be anywhere close when disaster strikes. I tried to explain to her that the movie was slightly exaggerated.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #25

True story..... While waiting in line to dump, I noticed a guy watching other people dump their trailers. Finally, when it was my turn, this fellow comes up to me and says "Hey buddy, can you give me some pointers?" This was his first time at a dump station since he just picked up his trailer a couple of days prior and his first outing with it.

So I let him watch me and pointing out the procedures. I then looked at his feet and I said, It's a real good idea not to wear sandals as well!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #26

I try to remember to put a bucket under the cap because they inevitably leak a little past the valve. People laugh when I tell them we have a yellow tank not a black one. I will let you figure out that yourself.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #27

First trip of the year... Getting ready to dump and I had a moment of PANIC. Just as I was ready to twist the cap off I noticed the black valve was pulled. CRAP!!! (literally) What the heck to I do now?

First thing was to close the black valve and make sure the other valves were closed too. Next, I held the hose coupling about 2 inches from the cap and got ready to twist. I quickly calculated the amount of time necessary to twist the cap off and fit the hose on the pipe, wondering if I could be successful while my mouth and eyes were clamped shut and holding my breath... Hmmmmm, I better re-think this.

Fortunately another idea came to mind. I grabbed a heavy duty black trash bag out of the camper. I put the mouth of the bag over the drain pipe and secured it with my left hand. I used my right hand to twist off the cap. Thankfully the trash bag was large enough to hold what was in the pipe and it did not tear. I carried it the few feet to the dump station inlet and poured the contents in. Disaster averted.

New line item on my set up checklist. 1.) Make sure all tank valves are closed.

Cheers and Happy Camping,
Kevin
gtinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #28

I won't watch.. Some fitting fell off... and hubby while quick to close drain..Had a gallon mess on the ground

It stank so bad.. fortunately there was only one in line while we rinsed the area down who told us to take our time and did not comment otherwise!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #29

Also have the Yellow Tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
I try to remember to put a bucket under the cap because they inevitably leak a little past the valve. People laugh when I tell them we have a yellow tank not a black one. I will let you figure out that yourself.
Our house rule is the on board plumbing is for liquids only, barring an emergency. In 9 years and 3 RV's, I am only aware of two such emergencies. That rule has worked well for us over the years and both family and friends have had no trouble following it. In the places we enjoy camping there is always a "Big House" near by.whose plumbing is far better equipped to deal with the solids. When I go camping with the guys... The Big House is a must use for reasons every guy on here understands... And no bride wants to hear about!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #30

Thank you for posting this experience. We have just purchased our camper and will be going on our first 3 day camping trip this weekend. I've written down what you all have said with hopes of this not happening to us. I'm still in the process of reading the manual, and this is all so very new to me. I'm really quite nervous so I want to be educated as possible.
TootsieQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtinet View Post
Fortunately another idea came to mind. I grabbed a heavy duty black trash bag out of the camper. I put the mouth of the bag over the drain pipe and secured it with my left hand. I used my right hand to twist off the cap. Thankfully the trash bag was large enough to hold what was in the pipe and it did not tear. I carried it the few feet to the dump station inlet and poured the contents in. Disaster averted.
That's a great idea. I'll file this under the "good-to-know-but-never-want-to-use" category.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #32

First thing I did on both of my TTs before even using them was to replace the stock cap with a cap with a hose fitting. I don't ever use a hose on it, but I can remove the hose cap first slowly to verify there is nothing in the drain before pulling the main cap off. If it starts leaking I can then put the hose under the hose connection to catch what's in the there before I remove the main cap. Has worked great so far!
Attached Thumbnails
61K0l4FOJCL__SL1500_.jpg  
Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
I hope they go after him, and make him pay for the cleanup (as well for the guy above whom did it at his site). At the least banned from going back for being dumb. That is unacceptable to create a mess like this (also the reason i own a sport 8, no Black or grey tanks to clean/mess with...)
Relax...this is a friendly site. Let's not be an instigator for an issue that was an accident. Just because you are perfect does not mean everyone else is.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote