Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Opening the sewer cap. OOPS

When my turn came up to use the dump site, I got everything ready and in the right spot, turned the cap, and then instantly realized that the black valve was already open.

You don't need any details, it went just like you'd guess.

Thought I'd share, please have a chuckle at my expense ;-).
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Sounds like some prankster could've bagged you. Oh the joy!!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #4

Been there. When we took delivery of our FW a few months ago, the dealer tested all the systems including plumbing. When he finished his pressure and leak tests, he dumped the tanks and he didn't go back and close the valves - so when we drove it off the lot, the black and both grays were open, but I didn't know it.

We took it camping the next weekend - used everything - and it never occurred to me to check the valves. We were in a full hookup site but I didn't hook up the sewer until we were ready to pack up. Pulled off the cap before heading back to get the sewer hose. LOTS of water started pouring out.
In a mad panic I pushed in the closest valve I could grab (gray #2) and it kept coming. slammed in the back valve and it kept coming. Finally got to the gray 1 valve (further up the trailer) and after a few minutes it stopped.
Since we were still sitting in a campsite - I basically dumped all three of my tanks on gravel.
I hosed it down and washed it in for a long time but it was still a mess.

So I feel . . . and smell your pain.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #5

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to experience it. I'm building checklists to remind me of all the things to check before we leave, and I'm adding one more to that list. And checking it before dumping, just to minimize the mess and giving me a chance to plan for how to be out of the way....
Old 06-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #6

Been there, done that too! Embarrassing, stinky and messy. Lesson learned!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Experienced this as well... As a habit, I now check the valves before I open the cap. Even if they are open, at least I can close them and prepare for the relatively small amount of the inevitable that's coming my way!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

And it's worse when you can't stop gaggin'!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Check your dump hoses on a regular basis. Make sure hoses are intact and the clamps are tight. Have had 2 occasions when the hose came flying off a few seconds after opening the black tank valve when the weight gives the hose a tug. Slammed the valve closed, but not until a gallon of sewage escaped onto the dump area.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #10

I saw a guy once who was packing up his camp site. He had never hooked up and his hose was a foot or two short. So genius stands above the sewer connection holding the hose while his other 1/2 opens the valve. He just aimed the flow at the drain and let fly. Within 5 mins he had a crowd yelling at him. He finished up and left, smiling and waving on his way out. Luckily his site was a good distance upwind from ours. The CG management wasn't amused. During our checkout I overheard a convesation about how they were going to go after him for the clean uo costs.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
I saw a guy once who was packing up his camp site. He had never hooked up and his hose was a foot or two short. So genius stands above the sewer connection holding the hose while his other 1/2 opens the valve. He just aimed the flow at the drain and let fly. Within 5 mins he had a crowd yelling at him. He finished up and left, smiling and waving on his way out. Luckily his site was a good distance upwind from ours. The CG management wasn't amused. During our checkout I overheard a convesation about how they were going to go after him for the clean uo costs.
I hope they go after him, and make him pay for the cleanup (as well for the guy above whom did it at his site). At the least banned from going back for being dumb. That is unacceptable to create a mess like this (also the reason i own a sport 8, no Black or grey tanks to clean/mess with...)
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Check your dump hoses on a regular basis. Make sure hoses are intact and the clamps are tight.
That's a good idea for sure. Now that I've been splashed once, I will be extremely careful in the future. I've only dumped our X213 twice -- the first went very well, and I was lulled into complacency, ha! This mishap was the second dump. And even after I got it working the right way, it still wanted to jump out of the drain hole because the cover was broken off and the design was at a slight angle. And no bricks or rocks to be found to hold things down.

Quote:
He just aimed the flow at the drain and let fly. Within 5 mins he had a crowd yelling at him. He finished up and left, smiling and waving on his way out.
That would be infuriating. Try that a few times and eventually someone in your audience is going to be willing to take their response beyond yelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
I hope they go after him, and make him pay for the cleanup (as well for the guy above whom did it at his site).
Around here, and I imagine most everywhere else across the country as well, spilling raw sewage on the ground, dump station or not, is punishable with a reasonably hefty fine. The CG should ban the guy and then forward his contact info to the county or city and let them send him another bill.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #13

Saw that happen to my father-in-law. They brought the other set of grand kids and one of them must have opened the black tank valve, unbeknownst to him. Ever since that experience, I make sure to check BEFORE I open the cap now!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
bap

Kinda like the Robin Wiliams movie RV.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #15

I think there's a huge difference between intentionally dumping because your hose is too short and accidentally doing something dumb. Especially if after an accident you report the spill to management and help clean it up. Most campgrounds keep lime, bleach or other chemicals handy because this happens more than we probably want to know.
The sad thing is, if the guy with the short hose had just asked a neighbor I have no doubt he could have borrowed a section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #16

Quote:

Geez. If that moron was packing up anyway why not just move the trailer forward or back to gain the additional few feet needed before dumping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #17

Not quite THAT bad, but I had the tanks pumped out by the crew servicing the porta-potties.

The guy left the black tank valve open and the cover 90* off (I have the garden hose connector).

So, when I got home and adjusted things to 'normal' (both open to hose that leads to a nearby field). I got about a cup or 2 of black water that sloshed out during transit on the ground.

"Clean Up By The Barn"

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #18

This is my second RV and thank the good lord this has not happened to me yet. I have read and eye witnessed numerous accounts of sani-dump mishaps. I am happy that folks post about these black dump disasters from time to time because it gives me friendly reminders. keeping my fingers crossed that I am one of those lucky few.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
This is my second RV and thank the good lord this has not happened to me yet. I have read and eye witnessed numerous accounts of sani-dump mishaps. I am happy that folks post about these black dump disasters from time to time because it gives me friendly reminders. keeping my fingers crossed that I am one of those lucky few.
This is why humans rubberneck . Avoiding big mistakes by watching other people make them . I'm glad I could provide a service .

As bad as it was, it could have been worse. I did have the presence of mind to slap the end cap right back on the pipe, so I didn't dump 30 gallons of sewage on the ground, just a couple gallons. Also, it was a county dump site that had a hose for flushing and the road/apron/etc was 100% paved and sloped to the drain, so I was able to clean it up and get everything down the drain.

I'm reasonably confident that it won't happen again, because with the image of raw sewage coming out of that cap burned into my soul, I don't think I'll forget to check all the damn valves next time, and before we go on a trip, during the trip every few hours, etc, ha!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #20

I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. I was trying to read these stories to my wife, was hard to do. Now I have her laughing!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote