Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Opinions on TV/TT set-up

I'm completely new to towing a travel trailer and so, like everything else in my life, I've spent the past six months reading and researching, trying not to make a big mistake. I think my numbers are OK, but being the worrying kind I wanted to get opinions from people who know far more than I do.

My TV is a 2016 f150 XLT supercab, 5.0, 141" WB, 3.55 gears. It's GVWR is 7050, GCVWR is 14,400, and payload is 2067 (from the door sticker). I figure with the family and maybe an extra 80 lbs. of stuff we should weigh 600 lbs.

The trailer is a Jay Feather 23BHM, ordered by my dealer about a week ago and expected to be in by June. The 23BHM had an unloaded weight of 4830 in 2017, and although this is a 2018 model I have to think the weight will stay pretty much the same. The GVWR is 6250, but just as I don't want to push weights with my truck I also don't want to push the trailer's weight so we'll stay under that figure. I ordered it with several options and have a Jayco option weight sheet that shows the total additional weight of 70 lbs. There's just three of us and our dog and we won't be out much longer than a few days at a time so we won't take along all our possessions.

I'm sorry to be obtuse about this - I have no experience. And I'm sorry for being so worrisome, but the dealer is about 4 hours away through western Pennsylvania and my first pull will be from there to home (northeastern Pennsylvania) and I'll tell you the truth, that pull has me a little nervous.

Can I get an opinion of the set-up and perhaps a few tips for staying alive this Summer?

Thank you. I'll hang up and listen.

Forgot three pieces of the puzzle: truck has factory tow (regular, not max), hitch rating is 1100/11,000 with WDH (I crawled under), dealer-installed Reese WDH (not sure of the model number, but it's a 1000/10,000 lb.)
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #2

Killer,

Welcome and congrats on the ordered tt!!!

Concerning your tv &a tt combo, if the family and any cargo you load in the truck stays around 6-700lbs, that leaves 1300lbs + per the door jamb sticker. A 6250lb tt could have a tw of up to ~940lbs if loaded to the max gvwr and you have 15% tw. Figure in ~100lbs for a wdh, and you are still good to go numbers wise.

Only question I have is have you added any accessories to the truck since it rolled off the assembly line: truck topper/ bed cap, tonneau cover, step bars, etc? They all deduct from the payload just like occupants and other cargo.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

You're totally fine with this truck and TT setup. The most important thing is not driving too fast to your destination, but with the numbers you provided, that's easily within the specs of your setup.

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Only question I have is have you added any accessories to the truck since it rolled off the assembly line: truck topper/ bed cap, tonneau cover, step bars, etc? They all deduct from the payload just like occupants and other cargo.
Haven't added anything to the truck. I just bought it a few weeks ago.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Haven't added anything to the truck. I just bought it a few weeks ago.
Just don't load a cord of firewood in the bed and you should be all set!!! Lol

Congrats on the new tt & tv!!!

As has been mentioned in your other thread, look at a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good. I have read good things about the top model Husky Centerline. Only complaints were it is heavy (what wdh is t besides the Anderson!?!?!?), and you need to be in a fairly straight line to hook and unhook the wd bars. Also have read good things about the Recurve R6 I think the model is.

Make sure you get the correct rated wd bars for your tt once it's loaded. Don't let the dealer give you the wd bars based on the dry tongue/hitch weight. And plan on possibly needing to readjust the wdh once the tt is loaded for a trip. Just make sure the dealer gives you all the paperwork for the wdh.

Good luck!!!

Mods: Is it possibly to combine the two threads by chance please?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote