Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for your input. New or used I will spend a lot of time going over the rig. I too would rather take it off the lot for the exact reasons mentioned here. Was just wondering what those who have ordered experienced. I've never ordered anything, cars, motorcycles, boats and previous RVs so had no idea.
Next stop, the huge manufacturers RV show in October!
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Next stop, the huge manufacturers RV show in October!
Those shows can be dangerous!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #23

I do not understand why people are saying to buy off the lot, just because they can check the unit (better?) than custom order. Even, if it is custom order, you do not have to take it immediately home. If you identify issues, dealer will need to correct them. And you can always walk away, even if you put some money down (funds would be returned). The same applies to custom order cars.

I am buying new (cars and two years ago the trailer), because I am choosing options / features. I am rather long term owner, so the initial depreciation hit does not bother me.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Those shows can be dangerous!
Ain't that the truth!! I'll be lucky to escape without a purchase...
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I do not understand why people are saying to buy off the lot, just because they can check the unit (better?) than custom order. Even, if it is custom order, you do not have to take it immediately home. If you identify issues, dealer will need to correct them. And you can always walk away, even if you put some money down (funds would be returned). The same applies to custom order cars.

I am buying new (cars and two years ago the trailer), because I am choosing options / features. I am rather long term owner, so the initial depreciation hit does not bother me.
That's true. There's no way I would take an RV off the lot or ordered without a thorough PDI.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post

I agree with you 100%. However, I don't believe that the majority of RV buyers, especially inexperienced ones, approach the buying process the way you do.

Unfortunately, most people are so excited about the new RV, Car, etc. that they custom ordered, they would take it no matter what the condition. In the time between placing the order and it's arrival at the dealer, they have already arranged financing, purchased accessories, made plans for its use, and told all of their friends about what they are buying. Add to that the sales person telling them "don't worry, we will fix all those problems under warranty" and you have a recipe for a disaster of an ownership experience.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #27

If you can stand the wait of a custom order then please do not let me convince you otherwise. Some people want very specific things on their rig and are willing to wait for it.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #28

Bought both of my Jayco’s new. The first one was off a lot because I found the camper I wanted with the options I wanted. When I was ready to move to a larger camper, no dealers had all the options I wanted so I ordered it. I got a better deal on the one I ordered so buying off the lot doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get a better deal. And I wouldn’t settle for a unit that didn’t have all the options I wanted just to buy off a lot anyways.

And both of my Jayco’s have been great. Neither ever needed to go to a dealer for anything. I’ve used a screw driver to adjust the strike plate on the screen door and the bathroom door. And I’ve used some glue and a hammer to fix a loose piece of trim after 3 seasons. Pretty great in my opinion.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #29

Our first RV, we bought off the lot but had a least 3 or 4 "we could live with/without that" mentions while discussing the purchase.

Guess what? We quickly found out we couldn't "live with/without that".

Our second RV was ordered with the exact floorplan we wanted with the exact color interior/furniture and the exact options we wanted because no one in our area had the unit with the all the items on our list and we couldn't be happier.

Well we could have if there were a few more options offered from the factory but we are now busy adding them in afterwards to make it "exactly" how we want it.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #30

We have had a combination of all the above for our RVs. I have never owned a brand new car and probably never will to be honest. We have ordered our 2019 377RLBH with all the options that we wanted. We had our list of everything we had to have, things that would be nice to have, and then everything else. None of the units that we saw on the various lots had everything. Yes we put down a deposit and have arranged the financing but we are still prepared to walk away if either one of us is not happy. Just like any other large purchase, it is right or it isn't. We are planning on an entire day at the dealership when the unit arrives for us to check it out and play with it all. Then we are going to take it and camp in it for a couple of days to make sure everything is good before we ever take it home. Do your homework and then decide what is the best route for you.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #31

Some RV dealers will have a local RV park where you can set it up for a day or more to make sure everything works. The first RV we had (used) the dealer paid for the two day stay (I think the dealer owned the RV park and one of the salesman lived there as well).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #32

So... Question for all those who "Ordered your RV from the Factory".

Did you look at that model in person before buying it? Was it at the RV dealers lot? or buy it blind without ever seeing one in person?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

Did you look at that model in person before buying it? Was it at the RV dealers lot? or buy it blind without ever seeing one in person?
The DW, kids and I looked at many different models on quite a few different dealer lots. We kept coming back to the 377RLBH with the floor plan and space. None of the dealers had exactly what we wanted and we were not going to compromise on this unit. We had a toy hauler that had been stolen is why we went looking and decided to not go with another one as we couldn't find any that we really liked or fit our needs. We'll just figure out how to haul the Harley w/ Sidecar when the time comes.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 AM   #34

Question for anyone who ordered from factory. Were you able to negotiate the price. Or was it set by factory ?
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
Question for anyone who ordered from factory. Were you able to negotiate the price. Or was it set by factory ?
You don't order directly from the factory. It must be through a dealer. At least that's true for Jayco. We ordered and bought ours through Indiana RV Connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

We looked at lots of new and used units within a 150mi radius and liked the Jayco's the best. We couldn't find a competent salesman to work with.

I believe I saw the floorplan for 27RLS online. With the options listed, it was exactly what we wanted so we ordered it without ever being in one. So not exactly blind, but did need glasses.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #36

Great discussion everyone, thanks.
Our search will entail a lot of leg work...... Will visit a bunch of dealers and of course the up coming show. I am compiling a list of "must haves" and seem to be adding to it every time we look!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #37

and.... Stacy and I went to the RV Show yesterday (Utah RV Super Show |) and walked the entire expo center. We were so disapointed in what we saw!

First, we have no intentions of replacing our Seneca 36FK. We went looking for some ideas on improving our storage of heavy items inside of the Seneca (can goods and liquids). In a show with a handful of Holiday Ramblers and Tiffins, there was only one Super C in the entire show. Of the Jayco units, only one Motorhome and it was a Precept.

The only super C was on the International chassis - 300HP and 25,000GVWR.

After coming back home from the show... we looked at the Seneca and suddenly appreciated what we have even more!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Great discussion everyone, thanks.
Our search will entail a lot of leg work...... Will visit a bunch of dealers and of course the up coming show. I am compiling a list of "must haves" and seem to be adding to it every time we look!

Do yourself a favor and get online quotes to help make sure your getting a good deal before buying. Even if you buy local you may be able to negotiate a better price by having some other quotes. I did very well buying online from www.RVDirect.com.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #39

If you buy off the lot when you do your PDI. Make sure its the camper you picked out. Dealer did a switch on us,interior color was different! Might copy vin off camper you select!For us it was entirely about price.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #40

Wow, that stinks ��. Can't believe there are still businesses that will try that kind of thing