Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Greenbush, NY
Posts: 642
The stove will work fine on low pressure, if you can bypass the stoves regulator.
__________________

__________________
Be Safe, and Everyone Goes Home,
Rick

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: dallas
Posts: 97
quick question

Is it safe to say after reading this post,,,Rv specific grills are low pressure and if I bought a grill at Walmart and the flame is nothing at all when I tried to use it. Its because of the regulater in the Walmart stove ? my options would be to go to rv store and buy the right grill or eliminate the regulater on the Walmart grill if possible ? thanks
__________________

__________________
Previous units-2016 jayco octane sl floor plan 222,, 2016 Winnebago spider 28sc,, Current unit- 2017 keystone raptor 398ts,,, 2016 Chevy CC 3500hd dually High Country 6.6 duramax
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: dallas
Posts: 97
I'm also using the quick dis-connect gas line coming from underneath the trailer for the source of gas. Thx
__________________
Previous units-2016 jayco octane sl floor plan 222,, 2016 Winnebago spider 28sc,, Current unit- 2017 keystone raptor 398ts,,, 2016 Chevy CC 3500hd dually High Country 6.6 duramax
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
Is it safe to say after reading this post,,,Rv specific grills are low pressure and if I bought a grill at Walmart and the flame is nothing at all when I tried to use it. Its because of the regulater in the Walmart stove ? my options would be to go to rv store and buy the right grill or eliminate the regulater on the Walmart grill if possible ? thanks

I'd venture to offer that *most* grills you find at Walmart or Target will be for high-pressure. Meaning they expect to be connected to a 20# propane tank.

These grills will have a pressure regulator inside that takes the high pressure from the tank and regulates it to low pressure for the grill.

There's a regulator on your propane tank on your RV. And this hose for an outside grill, mostly like comes off *after* the regulator. Meaning it's already been dropped to low pressure.

People take a few paths: find a grill without a regulator, figure out how to rip the regulator out of a grill. And lastly, there are the Extend-a-stay adapters that'll give you a high-pressure propane hose, so you can use just about any grill.

There are some Youtube videos out there.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: dallas
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'd venture to offer that *most* grills you find at Walmart or Target will be for high-pressure. Meaning they expect to be connected to a 20# propane tank.

These grills will have a pressure regulator inside that takes the high pressure from the tank and regulates it to low pressure for the grill.

There's a regulator on your propane tank on your RV. And this hose for an outside grill, mostly like comes off *after* the regulator. Meaning it's already been dropped to low pressure.

People take a few paths: find a grill without a regulator, figure out how to rip the regulator out of a grill. And lastly, there are the Extend-a-stay adapters that'll give you a high-pressure propane hose, so you can use just about any grill.

There are some Youtube videos out there.
Thanks a bunch, I just saw about a handfull of videos that explained it all with pics. I almost threw that grill in the trash that I used one time . Ill be out on the grill more often now. Thanks.
__________________
Previous units-2016 jayco octane sl floor plan 222,, 2016 Winnebago spider 28sc,, Current unit- 2017 keystone raptor 398ts,,, 2016 Chevy CC 3500hd dually High Country 6.6 duramax
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Marion
Posts: 46
So I just got home and tore the stove apart to see what's what....it doesn't have a regulator in it. The rubber line goes to a T and then straight to both burners. Just need to get the hose swapped out and hook it to my TT now and should be good to go.

My question now, is what would have happened if I would have hooked one of the little green 1 # bottles up to it and used it without a regulator?
__________________
2013 X23B
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L with 3.92's
CallMeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeChris View Post
So I just got home and tore the stove apart to see what's what....it doesn't have a regulator in it. The rubber line goes to a T and then straight to both burners. Just need to get the hose swapped out and hook it to my TT now and should be good to go.

My question now, is what would have happened if I would have hooked one of the little green 1 # bottles up to it and used it without a regulator?
Is it possible you have an inline ball valve or needle control valve located either on the hose or built into the stove somewhere?

Not sure what (if anything) would have happened if you had lit an unregulated propane 'stream'. might be hard to light, might be able to cook a 20lb turkey on it. Weird that it accepts tanks that it can't work with.. sounds like someone has modified it, but full disclaimer that I'm not a propane expert.
__________________
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow (Sold)
2017 'Blue Jeans' 6.2 F-250 Lariat 4.3 gears.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,048
Probably flames about 3' in the air, or worse, BOOM! That is scary!


Did the former owner mention that the controls were a bit "finicky" and only worked well at the lowest setting?


The good news is that you can convert it to a proper LP hose and probably get pretty decent performance.
__________________
2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #19
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11,742
On your original post, where does the hose that you have that takes a 1 lb bottle terminate on the stove? I'm thinking you have the wrong hose if it is a quick connect at the grill end.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Marion
Posts: 46
The hose that hooks straight into the stove has the end to screw on the small bottles....there is no regulator in the stove.

The people I got this from are a little bit country....lol it was used on their popup but I'm not sure if they used it with the little bottles or if they Had a connector in the popup to screw this to. I'll ask next time I see them.
__________________

__________________
2013 X23B
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L with 3.92's
CallMeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.