Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

The stove will work fine on low pressure, if you can bypass the stoves regulator.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

quick question

Is it safe to say after reading this post,,,Rv specific grills are low pressure and if I bought a grill at Walmart and the flame is nothing at all when I tried to use it. Its because of the regulater in the Walmart stove ? my options would be to go to rv store and buy the right grill or eliminate the regulater on the Walmart grill if possible ? thanks

Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #13

I'm also using the quick dis-connect gas line coming from underneath the trailer for the source of gas. Thx
Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
Is it safe to say after reading this post,,,Rv specific grills are low pressure and if I bought a grill at Walmart and the flame is nothing at all when I tried to use it. Its because of the regulater in the Walmart stove ? my options would be to go to rv store and buy the right grill or eliminate the regulater on the Walmart grill if possible ? thanks

I'd venture to offer that *most* grills you find at Walmart or Target will be for high-pressure. Meaning they expect to be connected to a 20# propane tank.

These grills will have a pressure regulator inside that takes the high pressure from the tank and regulates it to low pressure for the grill.

There's a regulator on your propane tank on your RV. And this hose for an outside grill, mostly like comes off *after* the regulator. Meaning it's already been dropped to low pressure.

People take a few paths: find a grill without a regulator, figure out how to rip the regulator out of a grill. And lastly, there are the Extend-a-stay adapters that'll give you a high-pressure propane hose, so you can use just about any grill.

There are some Youtube videos out there.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'd venture to offer that *most* grills you find at Walmart or Target will be for high-pressure. Meaning they expect to be connected to a 20# propane tank.

These grills will have a pressure regulator inside that takes the high pressure from the tank and regulates it to low pressure for the grill.

There's a regulator on your propane tank on your RV. And this hose for an outside grill, mostly like comes off *after* the regulator. Meaning it's already been dropped to low pressure.

People take a few paths: find a grill without a regulator, figure out how to rip the regulator out of a grill. And lastly, there are the Extend-a-stay adapters that'll give you a high-pressure propane hose, so you can use just about any grill.

There are some Youtube videos out there.
Thanks a bunch, I just saw about a handfull of videos that explained it all with pics. I almost threw that grill in the trash that I used one time . Ill be out on the grill more often now. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #16

So I just got home and tore the stove apart to see what's what....it doesn't have a regulator in it. The rubber line goes to a T and then straight to both burners. Just need to get the hose swapped out and hook it to my TT now and should be good to go.

My question now, is what would have happened if I would have hooked one of the little green 1 # bottles up to it and used it without a regulator?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeChris View Post
So I just got home and tore the stove apart to see what's what....it doesn't have a regulator in it. The rubber line goes to a T and then straight to both burners. Just need to get the hose swapped out and hook it to my TT now and should be good to go.

My question now, is what would have happened if I would have hooked one of the little green 1 # bottles up to it and used it without a regulator?
Is it possible you have an inline ball valve or needle control valve located either on the hose or built into the stove somewhere?

Not sure what (if anything) would have happened if you had lit an unregulated propane 'stream'. might be hard to light, might be able to cook a 20lb turkey on it. Weird that it accepts tanks that it can't work with.. sounds like someone has modified it, but full disclaimer that I'm not a propane expert.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #18

Probably flames about 3' in the air, or worse, BOOM! That is scary!

Did the former owner mention that the controls were a bit "finicky" and only worked well at the lowest setting?

The good news is that you can convert it to a proper LP hose and probably get pretty decent performance.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #19
Site Team

On your original post, where does the hose that you have that takes a 1 lb bottle terminate on the stove? I'm thinking you have the wrong hose if it is a quick connect at the grill end.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

The hose that hooks straight into the stove has the end to screw on the small bottles....there is no regulator in the stove.

The people I got this from are a little bit country....lol it was used on their popup but I'm not sure if they used it with the little bottles or if they Had a connector in the popup to screw this to. I'll ask next time I see them.