Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Outdoor Kitchen Door

Hello everyone.
we purchased our Jayco as a last years model back in 2011. Up to this poiunt i have been happy with it and had no issues.

well at the end of last year, like the last trip of the season i noticed my steps loose. the one bolt that goes into the floor on the forward edge as pulled through the floor. i think thats a simple fix as we have a carpet at the door.

but my main question is
on our trailer 304bhk i think is the model. the outdoor kitchen door, the mount for the one strut has came off. and to top it off the the holes are stripped so just putting it back together is a no go

anyone have any suggestions on a repair for it.

i did search but without reading every thread on 11 pages of reyurns it will be forever.

thanks in advance
cdnltded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

On a previous rig, I cut 1/8" aluminum plates, about 4"x4" square and installed them with 4 rivets each where the strut mounted to the door. Then predrilled and reinstalled the strut with new and better screws.

Only thing to be careful with is predrilling for the rivets in the door, then for the strut mount in the plate once installed. Easy to put a star crack in the filon, or worse drill through it. A stop block on the drill bit to control depth will prevent this.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #3

any one else have any ideas
cdnltded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

BigJohn's suggestion is probably what I would do. If you simply use bigger screws to replace the stripped out holes, those are likely to strip out/not hold, either. There is a product called MarineTex, used for patching small holes in fiberglass boats. It is a white, two-part epoxy that can be sanded and shaped when dry. You would then simply re-drill pilot holes for the existing screws. That might be an option, but I'd be concerned about it looking "patched". The suggestion above is permanent, structurally sound, and done right, would look good.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

I went with the above fix AFTER using bigger screws for the first fix. They just ripped out too. The plates never failed. You could use thinner, maybe 1/16" plate. I just had the 1/8" in stock at the time.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote