Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Outdoor TV Questions

Good Day!!

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to and it is driving me mad, LOL. As it appears to be so simple!

I have an outside tv mount so no assistance needed with that, however, what should I do next to watch TV outside, other than plug it in? Do I use coax cable from TV and screw into the coax output? Will that work off of the camper antenna and just scan for channels, like I would inside? Do I need to do anything on the inside as well to pick up signal outside?

Forgive my ignorance, but TV inside - Great! When trying to watch TV outside, I assumed it would somehow pick up the DVD player and/or air channels from inside - is this not the case and is the TV completely independent? - Jayco just offers the mount, but you have to stream or bring your own DVD player to hook up?

Model: 19XUD 2018 Jay Feather 7

Thank you so much!
Angela
Angela2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #2

I have an outside tv mount so no assistance needed with that, however, what should I do next to watch TV outside, other than plug it in? Do I use coax cable from TV and screw into the coax output? Will that work off of the camper antenna and just scan for channels, like I would inside? Do I need to do anything on the inside as well to pick up signal outside?

Yes just use a coax from the cable output to your TV and then scan for channels just like you would on the interior TV. You will not be able to watch your DVD on any other TV than the one you have hooked up. Make sure that your booster is on for all TV's
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #3

I can't say for sure but would think by hooking the tv to the outside cable connection it would pick up the same as the inside tv on the cable connection. We have the outside connection but never hooked a tv up to it. We very seldom watch the tv inside.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
CAG

This is much like setting up a new TV in your house. You need an antenna, a coax to that antenna and that will get you local channels if there are any. If you go Directv, or DISH there are other options with different receivers but if they did not cable the RV with individual coax to various location you are going to have to run coax. This is not a simple fix.

I have no idea how your rig is cabled, if at all so this is a shot in the dark. You can use HDMI cable from the main to the outside, which will give you the same channel on both, you can use a Sat with two connections that will require two receivers, one at each TV or you can go an HDMI transmitter at the main with a receiver at the outside.

Sorry, but this is probably going to take you having someone come out and lay this out for you since trying to do it here is going to be more than confusing.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #5

The coax connection on the outside of your RV is hooked to the same antenna as your inside tv hookup. All you need to do is plug it in, and run a coax cable between your connection on the side of the trailer and the TV.

If you have an adjustable antenna, you may need to adjust it just as you would if you were watching the inside tv.
GregandKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #6

To watch DVD outside just plug your DVD player directly into the TV with an HDMI cable. This is assuming a portable DVD player. If you want to use the junk in-dash DVD which only sends a low resolution picture, don't waste your time.

I set my son's system up with an inside DVD player and Direct TV satellite setup. We used an RF HDMI transmitter/receiver. The transmitter plugs into the DVD or satellite receiver and the HDMI receiver plugs into his outside TV. He also uses the setup to transmit to his bedroom TV. Works great! I use the same setup to transmit my dish to the bedroom TV.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #7

Thank you very much! I will give it a try tonight...maybe I was doing something wrong. Do I need to do anything on the inside?
Angela2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela2338 View Post
Thank you very much! I will give it a try tonight...maybe I was doing something wrong. Do I need to do anything on the inside?
There will be an antennae booster power switch somewhere inside that you can power on to help boost your Over the Air signal. It is usually located somewhere around the TV inside and may be integrated into a DC cigarette lighter outlet. It is a push button with a LED that will light when on. Otherwise, you should be good to go to do hook up your outside tv to the coax and start your OTA channel search on the TV. If you stay somewhere with cable, connect your camper coax port on the the backside of your camper and you'll have cable service at your coax connection inside and outside too.
vanspragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #9

This is for any and all outside TV users. I’ve posted this question and hundreds, ok, a couple of sites. I haven’t been able to plug my hdmi for firestick into the back of the outside TV. Someone here asked if there were any mounting screws visible. HOORAY, all 4 mounting screws are easily unscrewed and the TV comes out of the pocket. I attached my hdmi for Firestick, re-installed the 4 screws and now I can access my apps on the outside TV. Thanks for the idea. Dennis
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote