Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #1

Ozone generator for odor

Curious is anyone has used an ozone generator? It suppose to kill all odor and bugs. I have I weird odor I smell right when I open door. But once inside dont notice it. I feel like it could be the linoleum/vinyl floors maybe i dont know. But I dont like it lol I've tried placing baking soda around, spayed everything with lysol and seemed to help for a few days but I smell it again.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

If you have a "weird odor" that goes away with fresh air I would immediately investigate for water leakage and rot/mold/mildew inside the walls or ceiling. It could also be water getting into the door or under the doorway vinyl and rotting the floor.

Or maybe a long dead mouse??

But a good idea to check for water intrusion. A tiny leak can cost a lot if let go. Go inside with doors and windows closed, sniff and probe for soft spots, damp, look for mold.

Good luck.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

i remember cleaning out my wife's grandparent's closet back in the seventies, and discovering a black box from probably the 1920's that said ozone generator. looked pretty shaky (and still sounds shaky to me).
i'd try to eliminate the problem rather than cover it up.
ned37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

I cant find a smell anywhere. I've taken outlet covers off and sniffed inside the walls and smell nothing. No one area smells. I dont think its mold. I've been in a moldy apartment before and it doesnt smell like that. I ran a moisture meter all over and everything is good. I did get a reading a small spot in the bathroom but even with the bathroom door kept closed I'll walk and smell nothing in there. Is it possible the floors are off gassing or something. Is it normal to have a scent? But like I said I smell it when I first open the door but once inside I dont notice any smell.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

I have used one to get rid of mold/mildew order after a hot water heater blew up. Took several 3 hour cycles to getrid of all the orders.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
I have used one to get rid of mold/mildew order after a hot water heater blew up. Took several 3 hour cycles to getrid of all the orders.
Thanks for reply very cool.. I was curious if it really works. I also read things that made me nervous to use like it can ruin your electronics or get rid of the bad smell but leave a different unpleasant smell instead 😬
So you recommend it? No problems?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Thanks for reply very cool.. I was curious if it really works. I also read things that made me nervous to use like it can ruin your electronics or get rid of the bad smell but leave a different unpleasant smell instead 😬
So you recommend it? No problems?
Yes it does leave a slight odor but a good airing out takes care of it. Yes I do recommend it. So far no problems with electronics.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #8

I use one in my hot tub for sanitation of the water, requires less use of the harmful chemicals, like said it does work, but does have strange, albeit tolerable smell that dissipates pretty fast after its turned off.

Here it is explained: https://ozoneexperts.com/pages/custo...e-science.html

Very interesting and simple.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

Ozone generators are extremely effective for eliminating odors. They're very common in used car lots. Be aware the ozone is toxic - leave the area when the machine is working. Air it all out when done. Also ozone can be tough on some materials.

But in general, they are really great at getting rid of stubborn odors.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #10

I have one and use it all the time for my cars, fiver and my house. I’ve used it to get rid of cat odor in our house as well as giving our trailer a fresh smell. It works great.

As stated above, the room or space you’re treating must be free of any pets and people and once the treatment is complete, air it out by opening a window for a few minutes. Side benefit to using it in your trailer is if there are any bugs or critters hiding inside, they’ll get away from the ozone odor or be exterminated.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I have one and use it all the time for my cars, fiver and my house. I’ve used it to get rid of cat odor in our house as well as giving our trailer a fresh smell. It works great.
My buddy here has an auto shop/used car dealership. The first thing that he does when he brings a vehicle in from the auction is to run an ozone generator in it. It is amazing how well they work.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote