Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Packing tips, tricks, and shortcuts

First of all, just wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a 2007 23b. It's a great hybrid that is perfect for my family (me, DH, 16 month old son, and a dog) and we just wrapped up our first weekend trip!

Packing, setting up, and doing the reverse at the end of the weekend was a slow process since we're new at this... But I figured I'd seek out any veteran advice to help save time

So! What do you leave in the rig 24/7? Any tips/tricks/shortcuts to load/unload the rig faster?

Thanks
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Well, when I got tired of carrying the same ole stuff out and in then I just left it out. The food stuff is the only thing I moved more than once. Oh, change out the dog toys no less then every other trip. That's an order from the "Tunce".
Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

We have a 2012 x20e and consider it a 2nd home, so we stock it like a home. Dinnerware, coffee/tea, spices, cooking utensils, snacks, bathroom (personal) items, jackets, hats, clocks, bedding, rain gear, and on and on, stay in the trailer during spring to fall; some items are packed away/stored in the house during winter storage. Don't leave food or, obviously, anything affected by low temperatures in the rig during winter. We pack most things for the trailer in bins that easily store in cabinets or other storage places: electrical items such as flashlights and extension cords go in one bin, games such as cards and Boggle go in another, etc. One of the best ways to be efficient in preparing for a trip is to make lists during the week before you leave of additional items to pack -- camera equipment, laptop, shoes and the like -- and cross them off the list as they are packed, usually the day you leave or night before. This way you have plenty of time to think of things you want to take. A list of preparations also is helpful in getting on the road quickly -- checking tire pressure, closing rig windows, attaching brake controllers etc etc. The list can be followed quickly and guarantees you won't worry so much about forgetting anything. There are similar, completed lists online that are helpful. We also make sure before we leave the camp site that the trailer inside is clean, dishes are washed and stored, rugs shaken out -- all the things you'd want to have done BEFORE starting your trip. This saves a lot of time and energy because you won't have to do all of that once you get home from the trip. Good luck, and enjoy.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #4

We too leave most in the trailer, plates,cups, etc. the only stuff we load/unload is the clothes and then dirty laundry.

We will get home from work early on a Friday, unplug it, hook it up, stop and collect the kids from daycare, and be out of town in under an hour. We'll stop at the grocery store on the way out of town for perishables. So, we leave in the ketchup, mustard, dry goods, stuff like that. But... We've camped over 25 nights this summer and pulled it over 1500 miles on just weekend warrior trips. You get good at it all with repetition.

We never bother with lists. If we forgot it, it got forgot on our first trip! Lol.

Store the dish soap in a dish pan to catch any leaks. Don't go overboard with tubs and baskets and containers, there's no need for,extra weight. When it comes time to move some things in and out, just use the plastic grocery bags or even laundry baskets are pretty rugged.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

The only things we take in and out is food and clothing. And even some clothing stays in the trailer, like jackets and coats.

We also put a stack of DVDs in at the beginning of the season, maps, hiking and biking guides, and anything camping/trailer specific never comes out, even in winter.

Be creative, lots of "home equivalents" don't have to be of the same quality as your day to day use items. The dollar store, other discount stores, and rummage sales can stock your trailer up cheaply and quickly.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

Everything but fresh food, computer and my ice maker stays in. Load the pets, new books, Cd's for bad TV reception areas and we are off. Returning home everything that's coming out (dirty cloths, computer etc) gets set on the couch and fresh food is carried in a laundry basket to reduce trips. I also park right at the front door to reduce steps both coming and going then move the 5er to the carport outback.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

I equipped the TT as a summer home. Full set of linens, dishes, pots & pans, spices, etc.

Food and clothing for the trip is all that is needed to be packed. It took 2 years of scrounging at garage sales and a few purchases at Wally World. But it is SOOOOOO worth it!

Wash the cookware for re-use while camping. Make a shopping list when you notice dry supplies getting low.

I keep my fridge and hot water on for the whole camping season. It's parked just outside my barn/shop so it makes a great place to keep cold drinks and enjoy lunch without having to hike all the way back to the house.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #8

Great ideas! I am definitely going to keep an eye out for good yard sales to build up my "stay in the camper" stash
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

IKEA is a great place for inexpensive housewares. That's where we outfitted out TT.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

We find it easy to clean while we still have shore power to run the AC in the hot temps. We also strip the bed and put fresh linens on after each outing. It's our second house, so we have it stocked with more things than we will likely ever need or end up using. If you need a blender, mixer, hot water kettle, slow cooker , electric skillet, griddle or waffle maker, come see us.
Jayson 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #11

We did a trip to the dollar store and bought a full set of everything we need for the trailer. It has it's own dishes and cooking implements, it's own soap and cleaning stuff. in the spring we buy or package up dry goods (flour, salt, pepper, sugar etc) and they stay in the TT all season and then get brought into the house to be used over winter.

The best thing (for me) is I usually make pancakes for breakfast so I will ziploc bag all the dry ingredients in single batches so all I have to do is dump the bag into a bowl, add the egg, milk & oil and mix. I will do up a half dozen and keep them in the TT and it saves all the extra measuring cups and spoons to wash while at camp.

only thing to pack/unpack is clothes and food that will spoil between outings
Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #12

Congratulations, we love our 23B.

In general everything stays in the htt all summer. we have our older utensils, silverware, a couple kitchen knives, plastic plates, cups and so forth in the htt. As for food, non perishables stay in the htt all summer. We empty the frig after every trip. We use older fitted sheets on our beds, so after laundering, they go right back in.

We have one cabinet (lower pantry) reserved for dog stuff. We put shelves in one side of the wardrobe cabinet, we each get one shelf/basket for clothing.

We removed the panel under the sofa, for shoes.

After a few trips you'll find your routine.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #13

We also have a 23b and found we've gotten faster at set up and take down over the years. We load and unload only food, clothing, and bedding after each trip. We use laundry baskets to carry everything from house to 23b and back again. We leave board games, cards, utensils, plates, cups, flashlights, pots/pans, tools, yard games, etc. in the trailer. We put fitted sheets on the fold out tent ends as well as the couch to keep it cooler in the summer, and wash them after each trip. We each have a sleeping bag that we use as blankets. For another seating spot at the table of the 23b, we purchased a small storage bin that is padded so we can sit on it as well as store beach towels and a couple of blankets inside.

As for set up/take down...on the morning we leave, as soon as we wake, we strip down the bed areas, then eat a quick breakfast of cereal and milk. As I clean, the hubby folds the ends in and places the bikes on the back bumper...in addition to taking care of other outside things. We try to do other things the night before like load the folding chairs into the truck after we're done using them. For setting up, I do the inside, he does the outside. However, we also have three older kids who are able to help us and that makes a big difference. As your son gets older, he will be able to help out.

Also, as you do it more often, you will find a strategy that works for you.

Enjoy!
Sanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson 197 View Post
We find it easy to clean while we still have shore power to run the AC in the hot temps. We also strip the bed and put fresh linens on after each outing. It's our second house, so we have it stocked with more things than we will likely ever need or end up using. If you need a blender, mixer, hot water kettle, slow cooker , electric skillet, griddle or waffle maker, come see us.
You been getting stuff from our TT
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote