Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

Paint or wrap

Looking for opinions/info on the exterior coating options. I saw a post talking about paint, full body paint, and vinyl wrap. What is the difference between paint and full body paint? I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 model, how can I tell which paint process was used? Any other info would be appreciated.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post
Looking for opinions/info on the exterior coating options. I saw a post talking about paint, full body paint, and vinyl wrap. What is the difference between paint and full body paint? I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 model, how can I tell which paint process was used? Any other info would be appreciated.
Most RV's are white or tan fiberglass with vinyl decals. Full body paint looks much better with lots more colors but I think it's about a $10,000 option. You can look on a rv builders website and see full body paint option's. Look's nice but pricey.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

Full body paint doesn't cost $10,000 when you you go in at 30-35% off MSRP and the resale is better. Also, full body paint doesn't have to be replaced like faded or curled decals. Been there done that. I'll stick to full body paint.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Full body paint doesn't cost $10,000 when you you go in at 30-35% off MSRP and the resale is better. Also, full body paint doesn't have to be replaced like faded or curled decals. Been there done that. I'll stick to full body paint.
Probably not when buying a motor home because there more available with full body paint. I was thinking about a fifth wheel. I was looking at toy haulers this past weekend and they had the same model I was looking at with full body paint and they wanted $12,000 more for it. I'm sure they would have work with me on the price. They look great but I decided it was not the brand I wanted. I also have mine parked inside so no problem with peeling vinyl.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Most RV's are white or tan fiberglass with vinyl decals. Full body paint looks much better with lots more colors but I think it's about a $10,000 option. You can look on a rv builders website and see full body paint option's. Look's nice but pricey.
What about full body WRAP? I agree, the standard RV colors are ugly, and I was considering a Melbourne, just because of the body paint, which was like a $8k upgrade. The first thing I did with my rig when I brought it home was get it wrapped.

But I decided to go with a full body vinyl wrap. For one, it was less than half the paint cost, and two, I customized the design for what I wanted. My rig is now a "One of a Kind" without a single Jayco advertising decal anywhere to be seen on the exterior.

Before and After:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0500.jpg   new exterior1.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #6

OMG!!!! That is beautiful!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #7

Retired one , nice looking wrap.

Went with paint because of heat is hard on decals in TX. Did Not even think about a wrap. If there is a next time I will for sure price out the wrap.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

But I decided to go with a full body vinyl wrap. For one, it was less than half the paint cost, and two, I customized the design for what I wanted. My rig is now a "One of a Kind" without a single Jayco advertising decal anywhere to be seen on the exterior.

Before and After:
Wow, that turned out great! Would you mind sharing approximate cost?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Wow, that turned out great! Would you mind sharing approximate cost?
It was $3,800 and that included removing all the Redhawk and Jayco decals beforehand.

Vinyl is warrantied for 5 years. The part I like is that if I get tired of the design a few years from now, he can just peel off the vinyl and we can redesign anything I want. We looked around at a whole bunch of other rigs and color patterns, and brought two different ones to the graphics guy, and he played around with the designs/colors until he had something we liked.

Plus, I just had an issue with being a rolling billboard for Jayco. Now my rig is incognito, no one knows who made it.

Even the dog likes it...
Attached Thumbnails
campsite2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

Looks great..... now loan us some $$$ so we can get one too.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Looks great..... now loan us some $$$ so we can get one too.
Ha.... it's only money, you can't take it with you... I just tell the kids, we're spending their inheritance!
Old 02-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #12

That is one sweet looking Class C!!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
It was $3,800 and that included removing all the Redhawk and Jayco decals beforehand.

Vinyl is warrantied for 5 years. The part I like is that if I get tired of the design a few years from now, he can just peel off the vinyl and we can redesign anything I want. We looked around at a whole bunch of other rigs and color patterns, and brought two different ones to the graphics guy, and he played around with the designs/colors until he had something we liked.

Plus, I just had an issue with being a rolling billboard for Jayco. Now my rig is incognito, no one knows who made it.

Even the dog likes it...
Very nice and the price sounds fair. Also, the wrap will keep the original paint like new for the next owner. And that RV is really one of a kind and you know it’s yours. 👍👍
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #14

That does look good
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
What about full body WRAP? I agree, the standard RV colors are ugly, and I was considering a Melbourne, just because of the body paint, which was like a $8k upgrade. The first thing I did with my rig when I brought it home was get it wrapped.

Before and After:
Where did you get this done, and how much was it (if you don't mind my asking)?

*EDIT* I see what you paid, now where did you get it done?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Where did you get this done, and how much was it (if you don't mind my asking)?

*EDIT* I see what you paid, now where did you get it done?
The vinyl guy was on Route 9 in Toms River.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
The vinyl guy was on Route 9 in Toms River.
Looks like your rig made the front page !

https://www.igrafit.com/

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #18

It is really your choice. Both ways are fine. The major difference is the question: do you want to spend an extra $10-13K on a paint job? If you have the money go for it, you won't get your money back when you sell the rig however.

As for painting rigs, some manufacturers paint and use decals, others do a complete paint job....it just depends on the company.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Looks like your rig made the front page !

https://www.igrafit.com/
Ha.... Look at that... I think it ended up being a bigger project than he originally thought.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #20

Trailer wrap

I recently wrapped my travel trailer in preparation for sponsorship logos. You’ll find before and after pics on my website. I tried to just attach pics but kept asking for url....

kiwidogs.com
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote