Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2020, 05:38 AM   #1

paint protection worth it?

will be buying new jayco x23b this weekend, wondering about the paint protection sealant offered. is it worth it? thoughts?
thanks
Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #2

I bought a 2016 x254. I bought it after it sat new in their lot for two years, having purchased it in February 2018. I opted not to go with the paint protection and the exterior still looks great. I wouldn't bother BUT wait for others to chime in that disagree so you can get both sides of the story.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #3

If you're willing to wax it on a regular basis, no need. I wax mine 2x/yr, usually when set up at the CG, gives me something to do instead of sitting around all day and drinking beer. I wax the TT and drink beer.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #4

Not worth it to me. It's just another way for the dealer to make more of a profit off the sale. Wax your camper once a year and it will be fine. When we traded it in, the siding on our 5 year old 26BH looked the same as the day we bough it....the factory paint is fine without any specialty sealers.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #5

There is not paint on a 23B. So I would ask what protection does it give for the Gel Coat.

We did not add it to our 23B. I'm lazy, and wash my TT with car wash soap with wax. Not as good as paste wax. It has always looked good. I did notice this past summer the front cap's gel coat is getting a little oxidized, but otherwise it still looks new.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Nope, I got it and it does nothing. If you read the fine print there are many ways for them to get out of it as well. Save your money and but a soft brush and some wash/wax combo and you'll be set
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #7

The automotive and rv industries figured out decades ago how to manipulate buyers. A buyer's excitement over their major purchase will never be greater than it is immediately after the deal is made, and that's when the dealer (the professional seller), presents a variety of "enhancements" to the buyer (the amateur buyer).

Generally, the enhancement is some sort of coating linked to some sort of warranty. Rust proofing, fabric protection, exterior protection, roadside assistance, etc..

I just bought a new Subaru Forester, and was subjected to the dealer's carefully rehearsed and scripted presentation of dubious products. I just said NO, NO, NO.

Sure, some of the products offered had some value, but in general, there wasn't anything offered that I couldn't add later if I wanted.

The idea that the miracle coating the dealer is offering is something new, that can't be obtained or applied by mere mortals is just silly.

These enhancement schemes are the dealer's answer to 'how do we squeeze more money out of each sale when we operate in an environment where customers can easily compare prices from multiple dealers?'.

P.S.
The most hilarious aspect of the dealer's snake oil presentation is when you say no to their coating/warranty scheme, and they present a waiver form and insist you sign it. Oh, my!!!....you mean this product is so important I need to sign a waiver if I want to venture forth into the world totally naked?!?!? I guarantee you if you refuse to sign the waiver, the deal will still go through
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #8

What Siamese said!
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #9

Don’t buy an RV unless your a little handy and expect to do some maintenance. Washing & waxing your RV gives you the opportunity to inspect all your surfaces and joints. A “miracle “ coating denies you that opportunity.
Leave the snake oil with the snake salesman.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Don’t buy an RV unless your a little handy and expect to do some maintenance. Washing & waxing your RV gives you the opportunity to inspect all your surfaces and joints. A “miracle “ coating denies you that opportunity.
Leave the snake oil with the snake salesman.
X2
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

Also, on my 2018 Precept 31UL (no full body paint) all the decals are already bubbling at the edges. I keep it washed and covered so it has me thinking...are they doing that because of the crap they allegedly sprayed on there to protect it? Hmmmmm

Full disclosure, I'm the second owner, the first guy bought every warranty they offered him. Tires filled to be run flats, paint, interior and coach warranty (platinum). Almost $10k extra in warranties. I did pay the $100 to have the coach warranty in my name. I doubt it was even worth the hundred bucks now. Don't bother with extended warranties. If your even mildly proficient in DIY you can handle 90% of the issues yourself at a fraction of the cost.

Or better yet get the warranties then call them when you get home and cancel them and watch them cry and hem and haul. Worth it LOL
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #12
CAG

William H Macy in "Fargo" as he gives the car sales pitch. You should get "that there coating".

And it is a sales pitch.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #13

Don’t buy the paint protectant. I did, Total waste of money. I’m not even sure they actually did it. They offered to “do it again”, but I never wasted my time to take it back. If you don’t want to wax it yourself, Spend the money on having a detail shop do it.

It’s not as tedious as waxing a car, using spray wax’s, it’s a wipe on wipe off. Not so much buffing. I just do a little at a time and it’s done in no time, with a much better product. Waxing it yourself also gives you a chance to look at every little seam on the rig. I ALWAYS find a few spots that need a little more sealant or caulking. The stress of driving it down the road opens up spots for possible leaks. You need to stay on top of them.