Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
I saw something in the forums about hiring someone to do a PDI with me, but cant find that.

Is it worth hiring someone? What's the advantage over going over this list? Anybody have a link?

I'm hoping to pick up my new trailer Saturday, and it's a 4 hour drive.

Who here has actually brought screwdrivers and taken stuff apart during their PDI??? Seems odd to do that to a trailer I dont own yet.

If they complain remind them that it's your money and you can spend it as you please. I have become very adamant about voting with my dollars.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #62

Quote:
I saw something in the forums about hiring someone to do a PDI with me, but cant find that.

Is it worth hiring someone? What's the advantage over going over this list? Anybody have a link?

I'm hoping to pick up my new trailer Saturday, and it's a 4 hour drive.

Who here has actually brought screwdrivers and taken stuff apart during their PDI??? Seems odd to do that to a trailer I dont own yet.
There is a comprehensive PDI list on this site. I don't have the link to it. Once you find it, read it. Does what you read on the PDI list make sense to you? If not, maybe having someone with you that does understand it would be valuable.

I did take some hand tools with me on my PDI, but all I really used was a flashlight.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #63

Main thing is to NOT let the dealer rush you thru the PDI.
The longer it takes you, the better chance you may find something. SO, start the PDI first thing in the morning, NOT in the middle of the afternoon.

Main issues on mine was the bathroom door was mounted crooked and it was easy to see into the bathroom between the door and the strike plate and strip (when standing in front of the bathroom door inside the trailer).

Made the dealer fix this. Noticed there were screws missing on the cabinet doors below the entertainment center. Dealer installed required missing screws.

Laid down under the slide out and had DW shine the flash light around all the seams/seals. Saw dome flashlight coming out the the back bottom seam. If light could get out, water could get in. Dealer sealed that. Noticed slide was not the same tightness on the front and back when up against the seal when closed all the way. (about 1/2 inch difference) dealer adjusted the slide.

Make sure you check the roof and slide out tops for any small tears or slits or possible nails/screws getting ready to punch thru..

Found a lot of metal shavings in storage locations, in the under bed storage and anywhere else I could access. INCLUDING in heat ducts on the floor. Made the dealer clean these out with a vacuum cleaner. (This should have been caught at the factory)

Pressurize the water lines (water pump and hose, yes 2 different ways to pressurize the water lines.and run water. Make sure there are no leaks. We had some water leaking around the crimped fitting at the hose connection to the pottie, it would leak a little as we held the foot pedal down to run a long flush. Dealer put a new crimp fitting on and that resolved the issue.

When the dealer saw I was starting to be very through with the PDA, he complained that they only allow for 1 1/2 hours for this. I told him he is free to go do whatever else he wants to do and we will come get him when we were done or he could watch and as we found issues, start rectifying them right away. Took me about 5 hours to go thru everything. DW followed me with paper and pencil and took photos. Everything we found was thankfully able to be taken care of that day as the issues were found.

Tested all the electrical outlets and USB charging ports. Tested all light including microwave light and fan.

Found a area on the floor near the bathroom entrance where a screw was pushing up thru the flooring vinyl. (no hole yet) Dealer made a small cut along the floor seam, took the screw out and put glue in and a new screw. Used seam sealer on the floor and 3 years later still looks as good as new.
Like mentioned above, YES, a flashlight (bright one) helps see things on the roof in the daylight too.

This may be the link OldManAZ was referring to.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #64

Okay, great info. Yeah this thread is the one with the list.

I was also wondering if it's worth hiring someone like I saw mentioned somewhere... I kinda feel maybe that's like hiring a home inspector though... they usually miss a bunch of stuff anyways. Lol.

Unless one of you think they're actually worth hiring? And where to find one?

I think I'm handy and observant enough to do it myself, but sometimes with big purchases I tend to get nervous and excited and maybe aren't as thorough as I should be. Lol.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Okay, great info. Yeah this thread is the one with the list.

I was also wondering if it's worth hiring someone like I saw mentioned somewhere... I kinda feel maybe that's like hiring a home inspector though... they usually miss a bunch of stuff anyways. Lol.

Unless one of you think they're actually worth hiring? And where to find one?

I think I'm handy and observant enough to do it myself, but sometimes with big purchases I tend to get nervous and excited and maybe aren't as thorough as I should be. Lol.
Personally, I think you will do fine. REMEMBER, the whole purpose of the PDI is to try to find as much as possible BEFORE the trailer leaves the dealers lot. They do want to get it off their lot and so make every effort to fix it now if at all possible. Otherwise, if you drive it off the lot, it could take months to get in for warranty service.
It is exciting, and you are very anxious to drive away with this new trailer. But, at the same time... REMEMBER.... The purpose of the PDI is to find stuff not right. If you find things and are able to get it rectified right away, you will even feel BETTER driving away!

Make your wife a part of this as she will find things you will not! Trust me on this one. My wife is the one that quickly noticed the see thru bathroom door!
TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO JUST SIT AT THE DINNING TABLE AND JUST LOOK AROUND for a few minutes, lay on the beds and look around.

I wish you the best on Saturday. Let us know how it goes for you!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #66

Thumbs up New 5th Wheel

Going to go pick up our new 5th wheel this coming Monday. I printed up the list and taking 2 type of electric tester with me. Already had a recall on it about the fuses for awnings and a fan/lite switch in bathroom. It is a 2019 North Point never had it hooked up to truck. I hope things work out for us.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #67

one thing i didnt check was the cab a/c on my 29mv. guess what didnt work when i got home. the vacuum hose had been cut and the vents wouldnt work right. took me a little while and a couple of youtube videos and was able to fix it myself. two month wait to get the dealer to look at it. ford didnt want anything to do with it said it was a jayco problem. i had only had it for two days. check everything!!!
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1152 View Post
one thing i didnt check was the cab a/c on my 29mv. Guess what didnt work when i got home. The vacuum hose had been cut and the vents wouldnt work right. Took me a little while and a couple of youtube videos and was able to fix it myself. Two month wait to get the dealer to look at it. Ford didnt want anything to do with it said it was a jayco problem. I had only had it for two days. Check everything!!!

yes...…… check everything!
A through PDI will take a lot longer than the dealer allows for. AND, they will complain about all the time you are taking.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 03-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #69

Thank you so very much for this! It is exactly what I was looking for! We have our walk through in a week and I know if I don't catch things before we sign and take it home, it will take many months to get them done. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the list!!
Stacy
StacyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #70

RV Inspection

We will be picking up our custom order 2021 Precept 31UL in a few months. We've already informed our dealership that we will be bringing a licensed RV Inspector to do the walk-through with us, which they are said that they are fine with. The inspection is very reasonably priced and worth the money to find all the things that we would never know to look for! This to us is just like having an inspection done on the purchase of a "sticks and bricks"! We don't expect our inspection to find everything (they never do), but we expect to find way more than we or the dealership would find. Per our inspector, if a dealership has a problem with you having a licensed inspection done, then you probably don't want to buy from them anyway. We will not drive off the lot unless we are satisfied with any repairs necessary. We've heard too many horror stories about how long someone's brand new RV has been in the shop for.

I will post the results/outcome of having this done.
Newsuerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #71

Thanks to all for all the info in this thread along with the PDI checklist. My wife and I are currently working out the details with a dealer to purchase a 357 MDOK fifth wheel. I have reviewed the PDI checklist and would love to check all of these items, however as we are in the middle of winter here in Michigan, how would one go about checking the water systems and A/C unit operation as our temps are too cold for normal operation. Ideally the dealer should be able to have this parked in a service bay to be able to have the unit inside and all warmed up, but I am not sure if this is possible as they are a smaller dealer. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoomatt View Post
. Ideally the dealer should be able to have this parked in a service bay to be able to have the unit inside and all warmed up, but I am not sure if this is possible as they are a smaller dealer. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
How did the dealer check everything if it wasn't inside? I would insist on that.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #73

Good idea to have your independent RV inspector, even if you have to pay for it, because the dealer will not be looking out for you.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
How did the dealer check everything if it wasn't inside? I would insist on that.
Good point...didn't think of that.

And as for an inspector, I couldn't find any close to the area.
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #75

Thank-you for the PDI check list.
Pete & Repete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #76

FOLLOWING
XMEDIC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #77

I am getting a new RV in a few weeks. Did you use this form and conduct your own inspection of the vehicle before accepting it? Just curious how it all went down. The dealer does their own PDI correct without yo present and claim it is good to go?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #78
Site Team

We did the PDI at the dealer, with a tech, and that was before we signed the paperwork. They had pulled it into a shop bay so the electric, propane, and water could be tested.

This was our time to look it over for the third time. Three of the four extremely minor issues were fixed on the spot. The fourth was a small decal that had to be ordered, and one of their techs replaced it in our driveway when it came in. I still have the sheet the tech carried with all the results of system checks. Propane water column, water heater, furnace, and fridge/freezer temps.

The PDI is the perfect time to make sure you know where everything is, and how to operate and troubleshoot/maintain them.

Ask questions until you truly get the answer you want. Take notes, and even videos as he/she goes along. You can refer to them later. It's a lot of information to process on a lot of things.

We have a small TT, and it's our 6th RV, and we were still over an hour on the PDI. They set up the truck and WDH at the same time, so we signed, got in, and drove her home.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:11 AM   #79

Thank you. Great info!
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
I took some time to improve on the already great PDI Checklist that Bluestreak put together. I formed it into categories and used check boxes to make it a little easier to follow.

I just took delivery this past weekend and used it. It was a pretty smooth process using this copy.

I added a couple screen shots so you can see what it looks like before you download the complete form, which is a total of 11 pages including the facer page.

I hope people can get some good use out of it!

Enjoy!
Picking up our 377rlbh Saturday. Very helpful and we'll see what we have wrong with ours before we pull it off the lot.

Thank you for putting this together.
Bar10der2step is offline   Reply With Quote