Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #21

We travel with our two Huskies and have only had one issue in several years. Most parks say they require shot records, so have them with you but we have never been asked for them.
Our dogs have even been adopted by one campground as official mascots. We tend to look for CG's with dog parks or areas to walk, they deserve some fun too.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #22

You seem to have a range of preferences, all leaning toward the breeds that are labeled "aggressive" but without much else in common (I agree, labeled very unfairly). So beyond mixed breeds, you might want to step back and consider some others that are larger, but don't show up on common "insurance won't let us" lists.
For me, that would be Australian sheperds - but you have to like LONG walks with those.....
Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #23

Get a Standard Poodle. 60 pounds, 26 inches at the withers, smart, and incredibly athletic. They also love the water. Nobody, and I mean nobody would refuse a standard poodle. Don't be fooled by the foo foo dog look of a poodle in show coat, they are an outdoorsy dog.

When was the last time you heard of a poodle mauling....lol.

In show coat and out of show coat. (Same dog)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg   IMG_0254.JPG  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #24

[QUOTE=cariboocreek;518222]Get a Standard Poodle.Don't be fooled by the foo foo dog look of a poodle in show coat, they are an outdoorsy dog.

When was the last time you heard of a poodle mauling....lol.

I snapped this pic. just tonight as I ran for the door of my TT .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #25

Lmfao.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #26

Thought you'd like it.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #27

Ontario Pit Bull Ban

Unfortunately our jurisdiction bought into the hype. The Province of Ontario has had a Pit Bull ban in place for several years now. The ban here is for all Pit Bulls or dogs who appear to be Pit Bulls. The wording encompasses a very wide range of dogs. A quick Google search shows there are 900 cities in the US with Breed Specific Legislation related to Pit Bulls as well.

Reality is, the law is very loosely enforced here, but I would hate to see a trip ruined because you brought an "illegal" dog into the Province.

Tough choice if you love the breed, but as others have said if you are just in the research phase I would look to other options.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:11 AM   #28

We take our German Shepard ( delta ) camping all the time Never had any issues, she is very well Trained ( and so are we )..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamper View Post
We really only have county or state campgrounds in this area. State Parks here don't allow any type of dog. County parks allow dogs and don't seem to have any breed restrictions.
Most NY state park campsites allow pets. We've camped at several of them with no problems.

The biggest reason dogs get banned from campgrounds is dog owners that don't clean up after their pets and don't keep their pets under control at all times, including barking at every person that walks by the campsite.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #30

Our city, Worcester Massachusetts, tried to enact a pitbull ordinance that would require a $50 registration fee on top of the $20 dog license fee. It lasted about a month. The local no kill shelter that rescues pitbulls and all other breeds and it a big part of the community, threatened to close it's doors. Shortly after, the state rolled out a new bill that stated “No city or town shall regulate dogs in a manner that is specific to breed.”
Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #31

We have run into many campgrounds that restrict certain breeds. German Shepard, Rottweiler and Pits are usually listed. Call ahead.

If picking a breed, as we did years ago, we based it on temperment, size (large) and coat (no shedding). Ended up with an Old English Sheepdog. After leaving her in full coat one year we have kept her 'puppy cut' for most of her life (9yr now).

We noticed another 'designer' breed lately. Sheepydoodle. Old English and Poodle mix. They looked like a std poodle but color was grey/white like a Sheepy.

Remember that bigger dogs need a lot more room for exercise. Many long walks and time in the dog park.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #32
Site Team

I have no issues with dogs, as they are a reflection of the owners. I see so many owners that should not be allow to own dogs, because they have "ZERO" control over their pet. Personally, I think before you can own a dog, the perspective owner should go through a mandatory "OBEDIENCE" training class with the animal. Maybe a dog OWNERS license.

Everyone of our dogs were obedience trained. Most are 6 week courses and is an investment in the dog/owner relationship. DW had the first King Charles Cavalier that won a National Agility Championship in Oklahoma back in the 90's. All her pups were obedience trained... which with the current 14 year old (that in itself is amazing) Cavalier is a blessing, he is now deaf, only 4 teeth in back for cookies, but communicates with us better than most dogs (and kids).

As for Rottweiler breed.... dogs, my neighbor has the sweetest one I have ever seen, but what is scary is what is in their breeding line. He knows it and knows that one chomp from his dogs bite could be the end for another.

Dogs like humans have a trigger and a trigger point. As in humans... dogs hit that point and the outcome is unknown. Currently my trigger point is a dog owner that does not clean up after their dog(s), may have to scoop some up and leave it on their TT step. Can't talk to them... they can't believe they are being confronted and get pissed or have a million excuses.

Well that is all for my 2 cents worth for today

ENJOY!!!

PS Just helped the neighbor take off his awning that got twisted by the 40-50MPH winds last night, also took out (2) 75+ foot trees. More to come tonight.

Ahhhh, love camping!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #33

Here in Washington, the state parks are awesome and have no dog restrictions.

We now travel with an english mastiff (read: gentle couch potato), and even SHE has been on the 'ban' list for some private parks (some just because she's 170lbs, i.e. "over 35lbs"). We check ahead and only go where we're welcome. We've never had a problem finding a good spot to go - although in one instance, it was 30 miles past where we wanted to be for a family wedding.

We had a rott/GSD/pryanees shelter mutt as our first dog (199lbs at his top weight). We'd been on Nationwide home insurance forever... when we moved out of state and then came back, Nationwide asked us about dogs, and when they heard he "might" have rottie in his genes, they DROPPED us. No option for a dog liability rider... dropped, period. end of story.

We moved over to AllState, and now have StateFarm, neither of which have breed restrictions. Funny thing... our mastiff has health insurance through VPI - which is a Nationwide company, now. Maybe they smarted up?
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

I agree with you Mustang65... if the insurance or park rules said no dogs of "x" breed UNLESS they have certified training - our Mastiff is a Certified Canine Good Citizen - that would make more sense.

Note - Dogs that are registered service animals are exempt from the insurance rules...
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote