Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Picnic Table Canopy

What type of canopies do people use over their picnic tables?? And how do you anchor them to stay in place??

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

We typically put our picnic table under our awning, but on our upcoming trip, we're going to be doing a two-site, two-family setup for the first time, and we're going to use a couple of 10' x 10' canopies that we bought at Dicks. They have anchors you stake in. My only worry is that this is the same campground (Ludington State Park in Ludington, MI) where my awning partially blew off last year during a freak storm that came in off Lake Michigan. We'll have to be prepared to lower the tents or take them down should it look stormy.

sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
We typically put our picnic table under our awning, but on our upcoming trip, we're going to be doing a two-site, two-family setup for the first time, and we're going to use a couple of 10' x 10' canopies that we bought at Dicks. They have anchors you stake in. My only worry is that this is the same campground (Ludington State Park in Ludington, MI) where my awning partially blew off last year during a freak storm that came in off Lake Michigan. We'll have to be prepared to lower the tents or take them down should it look stormy.
x2 . Pop ups are the easiest thing to use and depending on the brand and level of quality purchased will make a difference in the staking provided. If you stay in the 75-125 range you will get a nice unit in most cases. Some now even come rectangular if you want added length or screen room attachments. Don't go less than 10 ft in any direction or you will get dripped on.

What I have done is added dog stakes with a ratchet strap to give it an added security level should something pop up without me being present. I've seen the legs of these things blow a hole through the side of a camper from a freak storm. Worst part was that it was not the tents owner, but a site next door. If I am present and it's an open unprotected site known to blow, I take it down.

There are also some that attach to the table, but I have heard they are not worth much and can be difficult to connect.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

We have a 10' x 10' lightweight screenhouse....it provides a little shade and keeps the rain and bugs off the food. It has tons of stake downs around the base and the (4) top corners have tether cords to tie off to whatever is available.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
Every time we camp at Ludington SP, our biggest concern is the raccoons!! Michigan's best SP, in my opinion. Happy Camping!!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

We have a 10' X 10' screened in tent made by Coleman. It is lightweight, and from the box to being completely set-up is less than 1 minute. It folds and packs already assembled; all you have to do is unfold the legs and extend them. We love it immensely. Perfect for over the picnic table. I wish it came with steaks, but it does come with stakes for the 4 corners. It has stood up against some pretty gusty winds. Happy Camping!!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm1stnau View Post
We have a 10' X 10' screened in tent made by Coleman. It is lightweight, and from the box to being completely set-up is less than 1 minute. It folds and packs already assembled; all you have to do is unfold the legs and extend them. We love it immensely. Perfect for over the picnic table. I wish it came with steaks, but it does come with stakes for the 4 corners. It has stood up against some pretty gusty winds. Happy Camping!!!
+1 on the Coleman screen gazebo... We use the exact same one and love it. Aside from being great for a picnic table, we use it as an outside doghouse for our greyhound.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

We bought a e-z up from Sportsman warehouse. On the bottom of the 4 feet there is a flat piece of metal with a hole. The hole is for the round metal tent stakes. I use those plus a couple of tie down straps with the same tent stakes. So far so good. No problems whatsoever.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

We use a 10x10 Quick Shade canopy. Very easy to set up, and comes with a bag with wheels and good size ground stakes.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I put picnic table under awning and use ratchet straps to attach awning to table.

I have had good results with the dog augers to add two straps to awning tube.

Seems like it takes me from about 10mph winds to 25mph.

Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote