Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

Pipe leaks and easy solution

We don’t have any leaks but it seems when things happen we are always in the wrong place to get parts and assistance. With all the shaking that does on down the road we would like to be prepared. What kind of flexible pipe would we need that hopefully works everywhere and is there such a thing a water proof tape for little leaks.
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #2

PEX offers flexible solution. The only drawback are the special tools you need for it. I keep 1/2" PEX tube, crimp tools, straight connect fittings, elbows and stops in my tool chest. Helps to have the cutter as well. PEX A is more resistant to bursting.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Sharkbite fittings are great for quick repairs when needed.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

I also carry a couple of sticks of Pex and an assortment of fittings both sharkbite and standard Pex along with the the crimp / cutting tools. I am pretty well prepared for most roadside / campground emergencies in the plumbing space and mechanical breakdowns as well. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it...
True. Over the years my little supply of fittings and tools has helped other campers way more than myself.

Which is fine with me. Make a lot of friends, then realize the spares and stuff you have bought help someone. If another camper is in a bad problem, most folks would try and help.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
True. Over the years my little supply of fittings and tools has helped other campers way more than myself.

Which is fine with me. Make a lot of friends, then realize the spares and stuff you have bought help someone. If another camper is in a bad problem, most folks would try and help.
I couldn't agree more! It also shows other campers the value of having some spare parts on hand...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #7

I think the most important item to prevent water leaks is a good pressure regulator set to 50 psi or less. Never connect to the city water connection without one!

I never carry any plumbing parts. I figure there is a hardware store somewhere nearby and I can get what I need when I need it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine67 View Post
We don’t have any leaks but it seems when things happen we are always in the wrong place to get parts and assistance. With all the shaking that does on down the road we would like to be prepared. What kind of flexible pipe would we need that hopefully works everywhere and is there such a thing a water proof tape for little leaks.
X2, use a regulator!
Good to have tools. Had a threaded fitting loosen up and start leaking on our washing machine hot water supply valve. Closet carpet soaked before I noticed it barefoot. PITA to get to, had to pull washer & tighten. If I had PEX supplies I would have cut and capped that line temporarily and dealt with it at a better time.

Tape will not work on a pressurized water line, but if you break a drain it will work. On older 5er had a grey drain pipe freeze and split 4" right before the dump valve, (Shoulda opened it after winterization ) I smeared the split with silicone sealant and wrapped it with electrical tape, never leaked again.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post

Absolutely. Over the years, I've lent out everything from DEF fluid, coax cable ends to channel locks. Always willing to help if I can. I've even jumped in the golf cart and scoured the CG for a dog that got loose.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:40 AM   #10

While it will not fix a pressure water line, I carry a roll of ziprite roofing tape. Stickiest stuff I have ever seen. While using it, you can hardly get it off of your fingers. As was said above, I forgot to leave my grey tank valve open and the pipe from the tank to the valve split. Taped it up and never leaked again. I also had a mirror falll off going down the highway. Luckily the wires kept it from hitting the road. Got out the tape and went on our way.
These mirrors are very heavy and the tape held fine for 200 miles home.
Attached Thumbnails
62F42EA9-DE23-49D8-A94A-029A153D6DE8.jpg  
Old 05-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think the most important item to prevent water leaks is a good pressure regulator set to 50 psi or less. Never connect to the city water connection without one!
Absolutely. At a campground in Utah last fall the pressure was running slightly over a hundred psi. The office staff told every camper about this, they even had a large sign in the office. But they were also selling a lot of regulators.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:10 AM   #12

This might seem like a silly question but here goes. I always use a water pressure regulator set around 40-45 psi to the city water and fresh water fill. My set up is water spigot, splitter, regulator, filter, and hose to RV. I then use a separate hose connected to the splitter for flushing the black tank. Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
This might seem like a silly question but here goes. I always use a water pressure regulator set around 40-45 psi to the city water and fresh water fill. My set up is water spigot, splitter, regulator, filter, and hose to RV. I then use a separate hose connected to the splitter for flushing the black tank. Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
x2 This is the same order as my setup.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:23 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
While it will not fix a pressure water line, I carry a roll of ziprite roofing tape. Stickiest stuff I have ever seen. While using it, you can hardly get it off of your fingers. As was said above, I forgot to leave my grey tank valve open and the pipe from the tank to the valve split. Taped it up and never leaked again. I also had a mirror falll off going down the highway. Luckily the wires kept it from hitting the road. Got out the tape and went on our way.
These mirrors are very heavy and the tape held fine for 200 miles home.
I'm the military we referred to it as "hundred mile an hour tape, black, 1 each"
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
My only concern would be when your pressure is crazy high, the pipe fittings between your connection point and the tank are still the same PEX fittings, and are hard to get to. I do believe one thing going for the black tank flush is it is an open system. By that, the end of the pipe into the tank is open to atmosphere and in theory the pipe should never be able to reach some scary water pressure levels.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote