Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: St Catherines
Posts: 20
Pipe leaks and easy solution

We donít have any leaks but it seems when things happen we are always in the wrong place to get parts and assistance. With all the shaking that does on down the road we would like to be prepared. What kind of flexible pipe would we need that hopefully works everywhere and is there such a thing a water proof tape for little leaks.
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 5,506
PEX offers flexible solution. The only drawback are the special tools you need for it. I keep 1/2" PEX tube, crimp tools, straight connect fittings, elbows and stops in my tool chest. Helps to have the cutter as well. PEX A is more resistant to bursting.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 20,498
Sharkbite fittings are great for quick repairs when needed.
__________________
Moderator
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja/Andersen WD
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 4,532
I also carry a couple of sticks of Pex and an assortment of fittings both sharkbite and standard Pex along with the the crimp / cutting tools. I am pretty well prepared for most roadside / campground emergencies in the plumbing space and mechanical breakdowns as well. I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it...
__________________
2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)

2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: VULCAN
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it...
True. Over the years my little supply of fittings and tools has helped other campers way more than myself.

Which is fine with me. Make a lot of friends, then realize the spares and stuff you have bought help someone. If another camper is in a bad problem, most folks would try and help.
__________________
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
True. Over the years my little supply of fittings and tools has helped other campers way more than myself.

Which is fine with me. Make a lot of friends, then realize the spares and stuff you have bought help someone. If another camper is in a bad problem, most folks would try and help.
I couldn't agree more! It also shows other campers the value of having some spare parts on hand...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,662
I think the most important item to prevent water leaks is a good pressure regulator set to 50 psi or less. Never connect to the city water connection without one!

I never carry any plumbing parts. I figure there is a hardware store somewhere nearby and I can get what I need when I need it.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine67 View Post
We don’t have any leaks but it seems when things happen we are always in the wrong place to get parts and assistance. With all the shaking that does on down the road we would like to be prepared. What kind of flexible pipe would we need that hopefully works everywhere and is there such a thing a water proof tape for little leaks.
X2, use a regulator!
Good to have tools. Had a threaded fitting loosen up and start leaking on our washing machine hot water supply valve. Closet carpet soaked before I noticed it barefoot. PITA to get to, had to pull washer & tighten. If I had PEX supplies I would have cut and capped that line temporarily and dealt with it at a better time.


Tape will not work on a pressurized water line, but if you break a drain it will work. On older 5er had a grey drain pipe freeze and split 4" right before the dump valve, (Shoulda opened it after winterization ) I smeared the split with silicone sealant and wrapped it with electrical tape, never leaked again.
__________________
2020 Pinnacle 32rlts
640 watts solar, 300AH lithium
2020 High Country Duramax 3500
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
True. Over the years my little supply of fittings and tools has helped other campers way more than myself.

Which is fine with me. Make a lot of friends, then realize the spares and stuff you have bought help someone. If another camper is in a bad problem, most folks would try and help.
Absolutely. Over the years, I've lent out everything from DEF fluid, coax cable ends to channel locks. Always willing to help if I can. I've even jumped in the golf cart and scoured the CG for a dog that got loose.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Morehead City
Posts: 586
While it will not fix a pressure water line, I carry a roll of ziprite roofing tape. Stickiest stuff I have ever seen. While using it, you can hardly get it off of your fingers. As was said above, I forgot to leave my grey tank valve open and the pipe from the tank to the valve split. Taped it up and never leaked again. I also had a mirror falll off going down the highway. Luckily the wires kept it from hitting the road. Got out the tape and went on our way.
These mirrors are very heavy and the tape held fine for 200 miles home.
Attached Thumbnails
62F42EA9-DE23-49D8-A94A-029A153D6DE8.jpg  
__________________
2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: VULCAN
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think the most important item to prevent water leaks is a good pressure regulator set to 50 psi or less. Never connect to the city water connection without one!
Absolutely. At a campground in Utah last fall the pressure was running slightly over a hundred psi. The office staff told every camper about this, they even had a large sign in the office. But they were also selling a lot of regulators.
__________________
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:10 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 67
This might seem like a silly question but here goes. I always use a water pressure regulator set around 40-45 psi to the city water and fresh water fill. My set up is water spigot, splitter, regulator, filter, and hose to RV. I then use a separate hose connected to the splitter for flushing the black tank. Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
__________________
Ron and Minjae
2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 30XP
2018 GMC Acadia Toad
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:12 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurnee, IL
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
This might seem like a silly question but here goes. I always use a water pressure regulator set around 40-45 psi to the city water and fresh water fill. My set up is water spigot, splitter, regulator, filter, and hose to RV. I then use a separate hose connected to the splitter for flushing the black tank. Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
x2 This is the same order as my setup.
__________________
Scott, DW, and Identical Twin DS (11)

On Order: 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Plano
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
While it will not fix a pressure water line, I carry a roll of ziprite roofing tape. Stickiest stuff I have ever seen. While using it, you can hardly get it off of your fingers. As was said above, I forgot to leave my grey tank valve open and the pipe from the tank to the valve split. Taped it up and never leaked again. I also had a mirror falll off going down the highway. Luckily the wires kept it from hitting the road. Got out the tape and went on our way.
These mirrors are very heavy and the tape held fine for 200 miles home.
I'm the military we referred to it as "hundred mile an hour tape, black, 1 each"
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Therefore the regulator is not controlling pressure going to the black tank flush. Better pressure, cleaner tank right?Thinking I should move the pressure regulator to first off the spigot. Any thoughts?
My only concern would be when your pressure is crazy high, the pipe fittings between your connection point and the tank are still the same PEX fittings, and are hard to get to. I do believe one thing going for the black tank flush is it is an open system. By that, the end of the pipe into the tank is open to atmosphere and in theory the pipe should never be able to reach some scary water pressure levels.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.