Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

Planning a trip, need some ideas.

I would like to plan a trip from Las Cruces NM to Campebello Island, NB Canada. Any ideas on what is the best way/route to do it. I would think i would only travel max 400 miles before I stopped and maybe spend more than 1 nite at each place i stopped. I think I would like to avoid the interstate as much as possible. Are there any apps out ther that you might recommend to help plan my trip. I'll be in a F150 hauling a 2016 Whitehawk BHS. Thanks in advance.
3hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

I like RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos There is an app for it. I also use Google Maps for directions when I plan a long trip. I plot my entire trip and then break it down into 400 mile segments, which is about enough for one day. In the options on Google Maps, you can click "avoid highways" (which are freeways) to avoid the interstates. Have a good trip and maybe we will cross paths!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

I like AllStays.com. They have a smartphone app ($10 IIRC). It's my go-to resource for trip planning. We pull a pretty big 5er and I like the interstates for fuel stops. RvParky gets good comments as Murff says. For individual park reviews I like campgroundreviews.com. Also like Murff, I use Google maps for "how to get there".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I like RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos There is an app for it. I also use Google Maps for directions when I plan a long trip. I plot my entire trip and then break it down into 400 mile segments, which is about enough for one day. In the options on Google Maps, you can click "avoid highways" (which are freeways) to avoid the interstates. Have a good trip and maybe we will cross paths!

Murff

I have this app also but how did you plan out 400 miles segments, I have a trip coming up is September down to Vegas which is 1,150 miles trip?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #5

I use roadtrippers.com great app. We only travel max 150 miles a day, retired..what can I say. ...Use thousand trails and passport america
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I have this app also but how did you plan out 400 miles segments, I have a trip coming up is September down to Vegas which is 1,150 miles trip?
I look at the whole route and then pick a point on the map (a town) that looks like it might be close to 400 miles. Example: from Seattle to Chicago 1st day 400 miles brings me to Montana and usually stay in St. Regis. For 2nd day, looking at the route from St. Regis to Chicago, estimate 400 miles on the map, Columbus MT hits close. 3rd day, Columbus MT. to Chicago, about 3400 miles Bismarck ND, and so on. This is all done on Google maps and then I look at RVParky.com for campgrounds near each town.

If the town you guess is less or more than 400 miles, you just pick a place on the map further or closer to your 400 miles as needed.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
I just tried RV Parky for the first time and laid out our next trip. So easy!! Thanks for posting this, what a great way to plan a trip. Wish I had found this long ago.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

I've made many trips from MI to FL, I was taking a different way each time. Even took US 23 all the way once (never again). I prefer the Interstate, the rest stops are great, no endless stopping and starting through the small towns, and also the speed traps.

I don't plan anything for stops, I never know how many miles before I'm done for the day. A luxury when your retired...

If no RV park near when I'm done, then it will be a rest stop/parking lot for the night.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

I use inRoute app to help planning.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

We made it from El Paso to Colorado Springs in a day...You can easily make it to Albuquerque...Santa Fe easy in a day.
I would go as far north as possible and then head west. If for nothing else, the view.
Depends on how much time you have..