Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #21

A little story about one of our credit cards:
We opened a bank account for pension money to be deposited in. My wife and I each received a credit card linked to that account. We called the bank and validated the cards and the put them in our safe. I was still a couple months away from receiving pensions so there was only an opening balance in the account. Two weeks later we found out some one was using my wife’s card on the opposite coast! We got our money back and cancelled both cards.

The only way I could see this happening was if some one in the credit company issuing the card was doing the skimming.

You know the credit card company did not seem too concerned about it.

I now get texts if my account balance changes - that gives be a bit of security, at least I can do something right away if I see fraud.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #22

Please, please, please - do NOT do your banking/bill pay using public wifi (or any RV park wifi) - they are NOT secure. Use your personal cell phone hot spot. We have all but two bills paid automatically every month. Convenient while at home, as well as when we travel. The two bills I don't auto pay have varying amounts each month - I just check the on-line statement and pay on-line. Been doing this for almost two years and have never had a problem.
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #23

USPS has a new free service called Informed Delivery, which emails you a daily scan of the mail scheduled to be delivered that day. Might be handy for short trips when you don't put your mail on hold. I don't know if it works if mail is being held.
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #24

While I have virtually all our bills paid automatically by CC and then the CC paid auto also, I also use Quicken and have for 20+ years. I have just started using the mobile app, but you are right that it isn't as easy to use. I would take my portable and copy the current database file from my home computer into it. Then when you get home, copy that portables data file back over to the home system and you're set to go. Quicken reads that one file when it opens. Just make sure the file is replaced before opening the home system so it will read the updated entries. I agree that using free WiFi is a risk, but Quicken downloads have some protection when they send the data to their servers. A personal "HotSpot" is the safest when doing your financials over the web.
Hansoncarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #25

Why not just back up your quicken data from the home computer just before you leave.
Import the data to the laptop. Then while you are away from use the laptop. Then, when you get home, back up the data from the laptop and import it to the home PC?
That is what I do with QuickBooks.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

We have paid our bills with our banks Epay for several years and I always keep them paid at least a month in advance. While on the road we have our own WIFI hot spot purchased from AT&T. Cost us 20 dollars a month and we are safe using it any where we happen to be.
WE spent the last 3 years paying off all of our credit cards and only kept one in the home safe for emergencies. As soon as we put away an amount equal to the value of that credit card, we will close that one out too.
Our WIFI hot spot has a set amount of internet time set on it, So far it has been sufficient for our uses. With AT&T you can purchase the amount that you need.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #27

RAurand: You are right, that is another way with quicken. If you know the name of the file, then just copying it to the portable shortens the steps by a couple. Either way, you have to move a file between computers. Backing up and importing are extra steps in Quicken. I would still do a backup before copying the file in case something doesn't go right.
Hansoncarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #28

Traveling Mailbox

A very cool service: http://travelingmailbox.com they receive your mail scan the envelope and then you can choose to have them open it, scan it, shred it, send it to you at a specific address or send it to your bank!
DJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #29

We are full-timers & use Quicken. I don't rely on campground Wi-Fi as many are very slow, some it's available in certain spots, & it's easier for hackers to break in. I have a jetpack through Verizon - cost was $50 & adds $20.00 to my monthly bill. Or you can use your smart phone as a hotspot & pay an additional fee during the months you use it.

By taking it with you can keep on top of your entries.

Jim
Coddiwomple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #30
RPR

Bills

My bill pay app with my bank is encrypted so bills paid through it. Cc app is encrypted also. Utility bills are emailed to me by the utility companies. Recurring monthly stuff, Medicare etc comes out of our retirement checks(direct deposit). My cc gives a certain % back so everything other than the above is put on it. Also have it set so I receive a notice on my cell right when anything is charged to the cc account. Our cc has a WiFi chip so we tap rather than swipe or insert whenever possible. Nothing is completely secure anymore we can just take what precautions we can. America is so far behind. Some European countries have a law that the customer has to swipe,insert or tap the card. The person waiting on you can not touch the card.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #31

We have our credit cards set to pay the statement balance automatically drawing off of our checking account. All income is post to our checking account. I have transferred by data files from my desktop to laptop (do a backup on pc, copy backup to laptop and do a restore). I use QuickBooks and track my bills and expenses while we travel. All bill notifications come via email which I receive on laptop and phone. I use phone as a hotspot while traveling. We set up cell service to unlimited data. Have been doing it this way for several years.
baehrelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #32

Quicken sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78spster View Post
We are thinking about taking longer trips and we are not sure how to handle our monthly bills. We currently manage everything in Quicken at home. I realize that if I have a internet connection i should be able to do pretty much all our banking and email. But has anyone kept Quicken either on their home computer or took it with them and been able to keep the master file up to date. I would prefer not having 2 separate files, just my original one.
Quicken says they have a phone app but but it is not as friendly as a computer, and i am curious if anyone has used it,

I guess the real question is are there any tricks or tips to managing finances on the road when your away for over a month or 2. I would be grateful for any input, and hope the community can help

Thanks
Chuck
Hi, I've used Quicken since Microsoft Money went away. I have been on the road for over 6 months now with plenty of bills. Went home for Christmas, left laptop in FW and used my desktop at home. If you sync Quicken to the cloud you can get it from any computer as long as you have the software on the other electronic (computer, phone, tab, etc) and know the name of your data file.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #33

It sounds like your are a candidate for using Google Drive. If you set up your Quicken to have the data files on Google Drive, you can have access from any of your computers as well as update from any of your computers, laptop, table, or phone.
You can also use Bill Paying software from your financial institution to pay bills while on the road as long as you have internet access.
I personally pay have most of my bills paid automatically from my checking account but you could also have them paid automatically from your credit card so there are a lot of options.
sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #34

Oh, I forgot to tell you that Google Drive is free up to 1 TB of data.
sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #35

We stay 2-3 months away from home of Oregon. First, we replace our mail box with a locking one with large capacity. Next, we have a trusted friend get our mail once a week and she looks for specific bills. We connect with the inernet(via t-mobile hotspot from the cell phones via tablets, laptops, $60 per month, two phones) and pay most online by taking all the user names/pass words with us. We keep in touch with our trusted friend via cell phones to find out what was in the mail every two weeks. This has worked flawlessly for several years and provided a now worry method.

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #36

Be sure to use a secure line for banking

Hi. I agree with all the other replies. However I always use Nord VPN to provide a secure internet connection for sensitive work like banking. My worst fear is having my sensitive info hacked.
Pat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #37

Completed 6 week trip at the end of October and used Quicken to keep track of expenditures. Mobile app is essential for our regular use to keep track of all expenditures. Used a computer and app and had no issues with syncing. Bill payments were don on bank app but should work as well on Quicken
jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #38

Security and Convenience

We have almost all of our bills set up to be paid though our primary bank. Most are paid though their e-bill service, some automatically and some I want to review each month before paying. Those that are not paid this way do not participate in online billing. Since I can download our statements in PDF format, I stopped using Quicken a long time ago. NOW FOR THE SECURITY PART: Having been involved in computer security before I retired, I ALWAYS use a separate laptop that I only use for banking to access accounts online and I NEVER use it for anything else. I took an older laptop that one of our kids no longer used, replaced the hard drive, and reinstalled the operating system just to make sure there was no malware lurking waiting to capture my online transactions and transmit them to bad actors somewhere. I've been thinking about getting a stick computer that plugs into the TV through an HDMI port but then I'd have to worry about an external keyboard and mouse as well.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #39

My wife has used Microsoft Money Sunset since they dropped the other versions, as you said. It's free for users that have a backup file to import. Not sure if you can start fresh.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=20738
Adam9280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #40

How do you back up your files now?

Does Quicken allow you to save the main file and save a backup somewhere else at the same time?

Do you want free solutions or are you open to a $5/month fee?

My suggestions are dependent on those questions.
Adam9280 is offline   Reply With Quote