Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Question Please share about your TT storage/home setup

Hi All, first time poster with JOF. I'll be posting in the welcome area once we actually take possession of our new White Hawk. We have made a deposit and received loan approval on our first TT.

I wanted to go ahead and ask these questions ahead of bringing our new TT home: how do you folks store your TTs at your house? Do you park yours on a concrete slab, gravel pad, or on the grass? Is the spot in the open? Do you have some type of covering or shed/carport, or even enclosed storage? How about power, or even water and septic hookup for home use or guests? Some of these questions may be better suited in a poll form. I welcome your comments.

Photos of your home storage/setup site would be great!

Thanks! Lonnie
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Right now, mine sits in a storage lot a few miles away, as there is no room here at the current house for it. Gravel parking lot, no cover. BUT, Beginning in May, we will be moving and it will be at the new house that already has a concrete slab for parking the camper. Still no cover, but it will be home.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

Home Storage

Do you park yours on a concrete slab, gravel pad, or on the grass? Is the spot in the open? Do you have some type of covering or shed/carport, or even enclosed storage? How about power, or even water and septic hookup for home use or guests?

Ours at home is on a gravel pad just off the driveway. It is in the open. We run a heavy power cable to it. Not strong enough to run a/c. Lastly, no guests stay in it at home. If we needed it for that, just please don't use the bathroom.
Aceffemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

We have ours in a storage facility, under a sort of carport. At least it keeps the sun, rain and snow off it.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

X2
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
We have ours in a storage facility, under a sort of carport. At least it keeps the sun, rain and snow off it.
X2
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

The house we bought 14 years already had a RV slab on the side of the house. When my fence blew down 2 years ago from the crazy wind here, I purposely put in a 10' double swing gate. Wish I would have made it a 12' but it works.

So I always knew some day I would own one and finally 14 years later it is parked next to the house. It takes me 30 minutes to back it in, but I am getting better.

Just last week I had a 30 amp RV plug installed on the side of the house and now if the in-laws come to stay they can sleep in the trailer. Actually I think I would give them our bedroom and we would stay out there.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

Ours is on concrete but too long to close the gate. Will have to fix that. We keep it covered in the winter and always plugged in to a 120 outlet when parked here. No water sewar hook ups though.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #9

Ours sits on the city street in front of our house. 2 years and so far no issues. The street is paved, I have noticed the pavement under where the tire are located is settling in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Mine is parked next to the house on the driveway ( plywood under the tires). I ran 30 Amp service on the side of the house also water and sewer. Use it as my little get-a-way during the winter and just dream about the first trip in the spring. That trip will be next week on the 17th. To Pismo Beach for 2 weeks than work my way home around June sometime.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #11

Ours is parked on grass next to the garage, no cover except for tires and A/C. I installed a dedicated 30A receptacle on the garage, and keep it plugged in 24/7 with a smart charger on the converter. Fridge is left on, and we keep extra food out there when not camping.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #12

My trailer stays in the RV storage side of my shop building on concrete when we are not camping. The only light of day it ever sees is when we are using it. The shore power and the battery is disconnected when it is parked in the shop. Countermeasures are in place to ensure rodents don't become a problem.

The way I see it, my trailer should last a good long time.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #13

Tunce, I'm curious why the plywood under the tires if it's parked on the driveway. Is the drive paved? If it helps to preserve the tires, I will start doing the same when I park mine.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Ours is parked on grass next to the garage, no cover except for tires and A/C. I installed a dedicated 30A receptacle on the garage, and keep it plugged in 24/7 with a smart charger on the converter. Fridge is left on, and we keep extra food out there when not camping.
Great Idea. I didn't think of leaving the fridge plugged in for use at home. Can you share any details about your smart charger?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
Tunce, I'm curious why the plywood under the tires if it's parked on the driveway. Is the drive paved? If it helps to preserve the tires, I will start doing the same when I park mine.
Yes, extended time periods they recommend tires off pavement. Got this info on this forum and Discount Tire.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #16

I have a popup so I keep it in the garage. In the garage I have 15amp electric to keep the batteries charged and to cool down the fridge and water to fill the holding tank. I live in a townhome so it is my only option as trailers can't be parked in the driveway but cars can so one of the cars gets booted out during the camping season. During the winter I kept it in the inlaws garage (they have only 1 car but a 2 car garage) about an hour from home. The only daylight the trailer sees is when we are camping so I should look like new for a long time!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #17

We have a blacktop apron extending past the end of our garage.
I installed a 30 amp RV outlet on the end of the garage. When I was pulling the romex for the outlet, also pulled some coax. So in the outlet box I also have a cable tv hookup.

The Eagle makes for a nice 'guest house' for company during the summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new Eagle camper 72.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	12335

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #18

Unfortunately, we keep ours on a gravel covered, gated storage lot. At home we had a 50 amp outlet installed on the side of the house for when the rig is in the driveway.

Some day I will have a garage/workshop on my lot that will keep our TT completely enclosed along with many of my other toys. When I built our fence, I made one of my gates 12 ft wide just for this contingency. I just haven't found the cash yet to make this happen the way I want. But my dad just had a 1600 sq ft barn installed. He keeps his Chevy 2500 Extended cab, his bass boat, his 31' MH, his Miata, and his tractor in there and still has plenty of room for a nice workshop. I'm VERY jealous!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #19

During the camping season ours is parked right in the driveway next to the house. I ran a 30A RV plug in the garage and place the cord under the overhead door. We keep it plugged in all the time at home and our fridge is on all season. We too use the fridge for extra food/beverage storage as needed at home.

For winter, I built a 24' x 32' x 14' car port to park 2 campers in. Built right in the back yard for easy winter access to inspect as needed.

I guess I don't have a current pic with the campers in it.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #20

Next to our house on a gravel pad. We use the outside 20 amp connection for getting the fridge cold. Its in the open, no covering except for an AC and wheel covers over the winter. I've done this for over 20 years with a PUP, a previous HTT for 10 years, and of course our current HTT.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, concrete, gravel, parking, storage