Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2022, 10:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
I like a good campfire but find myself wondering how many millions of trees are just being wasted for a campfire not to mention how much the campgrounds burn us (pun intended) selling us firewood. I am considering a portable fire pit like this one maybe https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073SMX1TC/ref=emc_b_5_t

Can someone confirm this would be the right hose to connect it to the RV?
https://www.amazon.ca/OPL5-Connect-P...%2C129&sr=8-10
Regards,

John
Just came in from sitting around one similar. As much as we're used to a wood fire, it was nice not playing musical chairs to get away from the direct shot of smoke when the breeze shifted. When we all were done, turn the knob off, and it's out. No dousing it with water. We also have one on our deck at home. Wood fires on a wooden deck isn't a great idea, and open fires in our village is frowned upon by the fire department, even if it's in a chiminea.

I do suggest the separate 20# or 30# tank also.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 PM   #22

Before anyone gets to calling us out... We only use our Propane "Camp-Chef Redwood" fireplace when there are Fire-Ban's like what have been happening the past few years. Or when there are campground rules that prohibit open fires. Often those open fire rules also apply to the Propane Fireplaces too... so don't think that Propane Fireplaces are going to be allowed everywhere, cuz we found out they aren't.

We spent two winters in AZ, NM, TX, AL, LA, FL and found that when the campground does not allow a wood fire, about 40% of the time they might allow a propane fire. And when it's in the 40's-50's F outside...

A fire is a nice way to warm up, be it a wood or propane fire... Don't ask me to pretend it is warm around an LED fire, nope it is worse than a tofu Steak on the BBQ!...

Know that the Propane fire described in the OP is not nearly as warm as a wood fire (unless you have modified your Propane fire ring) But if you want to have a warm place to gather outside for a few good friends, a WARM campfire is the only real way to do it.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:08 PM   #23
Site Team

I agree they're warmer to sit around at night. I've also found that you have the best bed of coals right when you run out of wood, or when everyone wants to go in to bed. Argh!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I agree they're warmer to sit around at night. I've also found that you have the best bed of coals right when you run out of wood, or when everyone wants to go in to bed. Argh!
We would start the dinner fire at noon for the bed of coals. Sweet woods too. Mostly oak and cherry. Sometimes we'd get lucky and find mesquite or hickory. Best cooking fires out there. Had an old adjustable grill we'd use or a tripod. Made some of the best pork loins and steaks I've ever had. Ahhh..the memories. Now it's a BigJoe Weber or Blackstone. Maybe for our Halloween camp trip I'll make everything over the fire...for old times sake.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:56 AM   #25

We do regular wood campfires, and we also carry around the fire ring.

I prefer the real fire, but sometimes open fires are banned or the weather doesn't cooperate. The fire ring is nice on a drizzly day, set under the popup canopy. We've even roasted wieners on the fire ring.

Like the others, we carry a separate propane tank for the fire ring.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #26
CAG

There are times for wood fires and times when you should not, if you want to be a good neighbor. You would not walk through someone's space or leave your dogs barking while you hiked down the road (there have been many rants on here about people who do that) but you would start a wood fire that will waft smoke into your neighbor's RV with the first wind change. Something wrong with that picture?

We have names for people who have no consideration for others with their actions and there is a line or two in a song that says, paraphrased, that you are not the only one in the world. Your actions have consequences for others.

I love a good wood fire. In the right place and the right time. The middle of the forest on a family camping trip is a good place. In a close quarter RV park, perhaps not.

I, like others, dragged this off topic. It was not about the right or wrong of wood fires. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0037.JPG  

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #27

I am not into the propane fire. Its not the same. Seems like they are more for show. You have to get very close to it for any warmth. I also rarely buy firewood. Someone is always cutting a tree down, due to storms or rot and I take that and chop it up.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #28

I like real wood fires too.
My portable fire pit:

PaulB12
Attached Thumbnails
20220301_183313.jpg  
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #29

Quote:
I like a good campfire but find myself wondering how many millions of trees are just being wasted for a campfire not to mention how much the campgrounds burn us (pun intended) selling us firewood.
We stopped camping at campgrounds about 30 years ago. The wood costs from the truck that came around every evening were simply ridiculous.

Instead, for what it would cost for a year's camping we bought our own mountaintop retreat. Now our wood is free. Our taxes pale in comparison to what we used to spend.

In all these years we have never cut down a tree unless it was dead. Thinning the woods, so to speak, is made the other trees prosper.

We not only have campfires, but all,of our cooking is done over an open fire, fueled with our own firewood. As we speak, our stockpile is about 5 cords, all hand cut and slpit.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:37 PM   #30

Very portable fire pit

Since last year I use a Camco Campfire Red firepit as a backup solution when it rains or when there is a fire ban.
I carry a separate 20# propane tank a & also use the tank for the Blackstone.
I have the little Red, but on second tought I would get the Big Red

If you are not stationnary the Camco is really portable.
https://www.camco.net/olympian/big-r...olympian-58035
Mipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:04 PM   #31

I went a different direction. It solves 95% of the smoke problems, I haven't checked a no fire campsite if it would be allowed. I have a Solo Stove Campfire it is the middle size of their series. Easy to pack in a small camper along with enough firewood for a few fires. It fits in one of those square white plastic pails like kitty litter and such is sold in with the fire wood for a few hours of burning. On longer trips we carry a second pail of just fire wood and supplement with small pieces we might find in the camp site. The firewood I travel with has no restrictions because it is small chunks of kiln dried scraps from projects. The larger models take regular firewood if you have space to carry it.

The solo stove is nearly smokeless within 5 minutes of starting. Mine is small for a big group but just right for 2-4 people. Since it has a small fire that is contained it requires wood to be added regularly but burns out fairly quick when you stop feeding it and since it is all contained in the pot it is safe as soon as it dies down. It gets warm on the bottom but a metal pan is all you need to insulate from a wood surface. I usually put it on a low aluminum table.

JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
I went a different direction. It solves 95% of the smoke problems, I haven't checked a no fire campsite if it would be allowed. I have a Solo Stove Campfire it is the middle size of their series. Easy to pack in a small camper along with enough firewood for a few fires. It fits in one of those square white plastic pails like kitty litter and such is sold in with the fire wood for a few hours of burning. On longer trips we carry a second pail of just fire wood and supplement with small pieces we might find in the camp site. The firewood I travel with has no restrictions because it is small chunks of kiln dried scraps from projects. The larger models take regular firewood if you have space to carry it.

The solo stove is nearly smokeless within 5 minutes of starting. Mine is small for a big group but just right for 2-4 people. Since it has a small fire that is contained it requires wood to be added regularly but burns out fairly quick when you stop feeding it and since it is all contained in the pot it is safe as soon as it dies down. It gets warm on the bottom but a metal pan is all you need to insulate from a wood surface. I usually put it on a low aluminum table.

X2 on these Solo stoves. Smokeless. I've never seen the smaller one like the one here and I'm pretty sure you don't need the metal ring at the top (looks like maybe its for cooking). For my 2 cents: propane firepits are nice but they're just not like a wood fire. I've taken my own firewood when camping in-state of PA but out-of-state firewood is banned when going out-of-state in the northeast. Every CG I've been to has a fire ring for a purpose. If you don't like the smell of wood fire you're in the wrong recreation. And I don't subscribe to the theory that burning firewood wastes trees; it's a renewable resource. Burn propane and you're depleting the gas wells.
2020 GMC 2500HD AT4 w/Duramax 6.6 Diesel
Fastway e2 Equalizer Hitch
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTEX View Post
I am not into the propane fire. Its not the same. Seems like they are more for show. You have to get very close to it for any warmth. I also rarely buy firewood. Someone is always cutting a tree down, due to storms or rot and I take that and chop it up.

I often see pickups coming into campgrounds with the back of the trucks full of firewood. I know they didn't buy it at the camp store! I do wonder how many bring their own firewood despite all the signs we read about not transporting firewood. Is it ever REALLY enforced?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:02 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I often see pickups coming into campgrounds with the back of the trucks full of firewood. I know they didn't buy it at the camp store! I do wonder how many bring their own firewood despite all the signs we read about not transporting firewood. Is it ever REALLY enforced?
I can't comment on the State Parks in PA, but I've never seen it enforced at any of the private campgrounds that we frequent here in the state.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilli1 View Post
X2 on these Solo stoves. Smokeless. I've never seen the smaller one like the one here and I'm pretty sure you don't need the metal ring at the top (looks like maybe its for cooking). For my 2 cents: propane firepits are nice but they're just not like a wood fire. I've taken my own firewood when camping in-state of PA but out-of-state firewood is banned when going out-of-state in the northeast. Every CG I've been to has a fire ring for a purpose. If you don't like the smell of wood fire you're in the wrong recreation. And I don't subscribe to the theory that burning firewood wastes trees; it's a renewable resource. Burn propane and you're depleting the gas wells.
X2 on the solo. First time we saw one was at a KOA in Charleston, SC early this summer. The camper was across the street from us, and we wondered why he had such a great looking fire in the pit while ours was puny by comparison. Armed with a cocktail, my bride and I made our way there to inquire. They were very friendly and told us all about the company and their offerings. I also quickly noticed how much heat it put out. I have it in my wish list at Amazon, haven't bought yet because its summer, but will have before our 2 planned trips in October.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #36

I thought I'd add some fuel to this fire, California is banning single use 1# propane cylinders by 2028.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...e-17392552.php

I like a good fire be it wood or propane, but I really like my propane fire pit. Out west most RV parks don't allow wood fires but many do allow propane fire pits. Our 5er has #120 LP capacity, I use a quick connect. Set it up, instant fire. Throws plenty of heat, 2' flames on high with realistic logs that help radiate heat. Very little smoke. (DW and I are both smoke sensitive) Disconnect it, put it's lid on and I can stow mine instantly. I do not cook over it. Perfect for 2-4 people.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Can someone confirm this would be the right hose to connect it to the RV?
https://www.amazon.ca/OPL5-Connect-P...%2C129&sr=8-10
Regards,

John
For the OP, this is the hose that you need:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08P86PF...roduct_details

It replaces the hose that is currently attached.

I chose to add a 90 degree elbow because of the way the hose connected to the valve on my fire pit. The fire pit in the photo might not need it, but if you get a different firepit this might come in handy:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B099WHH2...roduct_details

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago using these two parts. FWIW, the end of the hose that was connected to my firepit was super torqued. I needed two wrenches and a cheater bar to loosen it. I put the new parts on with some teflon tape and it has worked out great.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:40 PM   #38

We enjoy our portable fire pit. Easy to control the flame level.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp Fire GM.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote