Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2022, 02:56 PM   #1

Portable Fire Pit?

I like a good campfire but find myself wondering how many millions of trees are just being wasted for a campfire not to mention how much the campgrounds burn us (pun intended) selling us firewood. I am considering a portable fire pit like this one maybe https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073SMX1TC/ref=emc_b_5_t

Can someone confirm this would be the right hose to connect it to the RV?
https://www.amazon.ca/OPL5-Connect-P...%2C129&sr=8-10
Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
I like a good campfire but find myself wondering how many millions of trees are just being wasted for a campfire not to mention how much the campgrounds burn us (pun intended) selling us firewood. I am considering a portable fire pit like this one maybe https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073SMX1TC/ref=emc_b_5_t

Regards,

John
Yes
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #3

I have that gas fire bowl. It works excellent. Also needed if there's a campfire band currently on.
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:47 PM   #4

If the fire pit has a regulator on it, wouldn't it "double " regulate, since the RV tanks already have one coming off the tank? I seem to remember people having that issue wanting to use a gas grill off the RV LP gas QD line. They could not get adequate flame due to the double regulation.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

Regards,

John
If you want to connect to a quick connect on your rv I don"t think thats the correct hose. The quick connect supply is already regulated, just remove the regulator on the fire pit hose and find the proper size male quick connect for the hose end.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #6

I have a portable campfire pit similar to what the OP is asking about. It came with a 20 foot hose with a regulator attached to the other end. Just screw it on a 20lb grill tank and it is good for 5-7 fires, depending on how long you burn it. What I did was buy a 30’ hose with a male quick connection at one end. All I need to change hoses is a 3/4 wrench. Easy to do, depending on what tank I want to use. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:01 AM   #7

That fire pit already has a regulator and is made to connect directly to a stand-alone 20-30lb. bottle. The hose selected has a 1lb. bottle regulator connector.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That fire pit already has a regulator and is made to connect directly to a stand-alone 20-30lb. bottle. The hose selected has a 1lb. bottle regulator connector.
And it will use a lot of propane if used like we do, about every night. It is better to run off of a dedicated bottle, 20 or 30 or you will be short of propane for the rig. If you have a class c or A that means driving the rig to the nearest fill location much sooner than you would want.

We are parked at the same location for most of the summer and I run the fire pit and the rig off of a 30lb bottle and have a spare so I can rotate when necessary. The Weber has a quick connect, with no regulator and is hooked to the rig connection. Thus everything is running off of the bottle rather than the rig propane so I avoid having to breakdown to run to town for propane.

Check Amazon for “kits” that have the connection for your onboard propane tank and also have hoses for connecting accessories. I have a dual connect on the bottle that allows connecting the rig and the fire pit to the bottle.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And it will use a lot of propane if used like we do, about every night. It is better to run off of a dedicated bottle, 20 or 30 or you will be short of propane for the rig. If you have a class c or A that means driving the rig to the nearest fill location much sooner than you would want.

We are parked at the same location for most of the summer and I run the fire pit and the rig off of a 30lb bottle and have a spare so I can rotate when necessary. The Weber has a quick connect, with no regulator and is hooked to the rig connection. Thus everything is running off of the bottle rather than the rig propane so I avoid having to breakdown to run to town for propane.

Check Amazon for “kits” that have the connection for your onboard propane tank and also have hoses for connecting accessories. I have a dual connect on the bottle that allows connecting the rig and the fire pit to the bottle.
X2

We have come really close to using up an entire 20# bottle in one evening. It is still more economical to use the propane fire ring instead of buying firewood.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
X2

We have come really close to using up an entire 20# bottle in one evening. It is still more economical to use the propane fire ring instead of buying firewood.
Wood fires are not allowed where we stay and more and more RV parks are restricting them due to lung issues On to of that May thru July are usually forest fire restrictions and no open fires. Propane fire pits are exempt.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Wood fires are not allowed where we stay and more and more RV parks are restricting them due to lung issues On to of that May thru July are usually forest fire restrictions and no open fires. Propane fire pits are exempt.
Maybe someone will come up with a LED firepit for you guys. Sitting around watching propane burn just isn't the same as a wood fire. But, do what you gotta do.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Maybe someone will come up with a LED firepit for you guys. Sitting around watching propane burn just isn't the same as a wood fire. But, do what you gotta do.
You guys”? I don’t need it I just stated a couple of facts. In some parts of the country, if you camp in forests, wood fires are prohibited so I guess if you want you can sit around your LED fire and I will light the propane fire pit.

But I do get a little tired of listening to the wood burners in Phoenix whine when air quality gets to the point that burning in wood fire places is shut off. Boy is this an “all about me” subject.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #13

We stayed at a CG that wouldn't allow camp fires. So we lit a bunch of candles and were still reprimanded.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
You guys”?
Yeah, you guys that are prohibited from a wood campfire. Watching propane burn is the same as watching my kitchen stove burner. Just suggesting an alternative for you guys.
LED campfires. Could be in your future?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #15

A couple of years ago we were in a major drought and under a full fire ban. They wouldn't even allow mosquito coils (bugs were horrible). No tiki torches, no candles, no exceptions. It was fun to see how inventive people became to get that campfire feeling. People were setting up lights and tissue paper in their fire pits to simulate fires. Some folks got very inventive and realistic.

I now have an orange LED flicker light that I bought the next Halloween to pack along if
needed (haven't had it happen yet). Figure I'll bury it inside a stack of firewood and see if I can fool anybody.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Yeah, you guys that are prohibited from a wood campfire. Watching propane burn is the same as watching my kitchen stove burner. Just suggesting an alternative for you guys.
LED campfires. Could be in your future?
Not as long as propane is available. The wood burners can keep their lung coating smoke and stinky campers.
Most of them are probably smokers too so it won’t make much difference in their life span.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #17

We were in Williams, AZ a year ago, and were told we could not use our coleman propane 2 burner cooktop outside. Stinkin up the camper cooking inside it is (or was).
We have the fire pit linked above, luv it. Turn the knob and there is fire, turn the other way and no fire.
With all of the bans on transporting fire wood, and the crap wood that we procured from many different campgrounds that wouldn't burn, we decided to try the fire pit. It works for us. And last year we could catch a 20# refill on sale for $11.99 at a local farm/home supply.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #18

For those who are opposed to a real campfire, just set your laptop on a table and play this and have everyone gather around. Just as good
Old 08-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #19

Myself, I would rather have a wood campfire. One of the best uses I have found for the propane fire pit is when I am on the road to go somewhere that takes a couple of days to get there. We often stop a a place for just the night. It’s perfect for that. If you are tired from driving all day, boom , a quick 1-2 hour campfire. Don’t have to either carry or find wood either. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

If I'm in my own campsite I'm gonna enjoy whatever kind of fire I can to the extent that it's allowed. If you want to sit around a coloring book depiction of a fire, a propane fire pit, a wood fire or set a tractor tire on fire, I'm not caught up enough on my business to make what you do mine too. If I don't like it enough I know what the "V" in RV stands for.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote