Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #21

I guess what’s the difference between:

This: https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...olar-suitcase/

And

This: https://gpelectric.com/products/200-...ble-solar-kit/

All I’m seeing is a price difference of about double for the gopower.
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
Mine came with clips for the battery and MC4 connectors on the other end going to the controller. You should be able to buy an SAE to MC4 or easily make one yourself.
Use caution - I discovered the polarity seemed switched on the "Wired For Solar" SAE connection .
Old 12-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #23

The mc4 to sae connector using comes with a reverse polarity plug.
Mbfd478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:21 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Solar panels are one of the most well-known residential green energy solutions everyone knows about - rooftop panels.
cerzasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:40 PM   #25

"Both" may be the best answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello Everyone,
Does anyone own a portable solar panel kit? If so, can you provide any pros or cons, wattage, model, wattage required? Thanks to Everyone! Steve
Using a DIY portable "kit" consisting of two Coleman 100w panels, a Renogy Voyager controller (30amp, Waterproof, PWM), a 20ft cable (plus a 40 ft cable when we're really having to chase the sun), and plugging into the solar-on-the side plug (which the factory wires straight to the battery). Made "legs" for the panels out of angled aluminum, that lets them sit at about 35 degrees. Also have factory 190w panel on the roof with factory charge controller. A G27 and G24 battery, total about 175 amp/hrs. Generator is only for emergency back up or A/C, blow dryer, etc.

Pros?
We're in Arizona so we try hard to park in the shade. Keeps you cooler, but makes the rooftop solar production limited. The portables can be positioned out in the sunshine.

Having a separate charge controller for the portable units and rooftop units avoids the "lowest common denominator" effect when you try to hook up shaded panels with those in the sun. (Learned this the hard way.) Altogether, we are usually fully recharged by about 10 am. No problems with the panels blowing around. Nobody has tried to steal them, but we're mostly weekend camping, not letting them sit out unattended for extended periods of time.

Cons?
The Coleman panels are heavy and bulky, but that explains why the wind doesn't bother them. Bought a canvas bag (intended for zero gravity lawn chair) to store them in. Keep them on the bed when travelling or storing. Haven't tried the light weight suitcase style, so can't say how they are in the wind.

Portables also involve set up and tear down. (About 10 minutes.) Rooftops are just "there."

If you want to maximize power production, you'll probably want to shift your portables a couple times a day to keep them out of the shade and facing the sun. But then that is why they are great at producing power.

If portables are all you have, you won't get the benefit of having your batteries recharged in storage from the rooftop.

Conclusion?
For us, having half rooftop (190 watts) and half portable (200 watts)has been a pretty good solution.

Good luck!
Sleighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #26

How to buy

Where did everyone purchase their panels from?
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #27

I use this one from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #28

I looked at all the portable problems, wind, theft, accidents and noted one feature. You can't charge while traveling. I went with roof solar and even in shade get enough charge. But I don't have a big demand to run AC items so the solar keeps up with furnace and lights just fine even in shade. Also, one less thing to fuss with, store and worry about at campgrounds.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #29

I have a Go-Power 130. Keeps my batteries charged when boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
81A5228B-25EF-4952-AEA0-EDBDCC07C3DB.jpg  
rDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I built a 200 watt portable with a pair of Renogy 100 watt panels, 20 feet of 10 gauge extension cable and a Victron 100/20 MPPT controller that connects right at the port on the side of the trailer so it's closer to the battery. When folded it slides right in and stows up against the back wall of the front pass thru.
I built a 200W solar suitcase as well.

We seem to always camp in the shade, so roof panels wouldn't do us any good, except while traveling, but we have a Victron Orion Smart 12/12-30 DC-DC charger for that.

Used Renogy Eclipse 100W panels, wired in series and have a Victron SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT controller.

I installed an Anderson 45A bulkhead plug on the trailer and carry three 10 AWG extension cords with Anderson plugs that will get us out 50'. No worries with voltage drop since we're running in series at around 30V.

Used all stainless steel hardware sourced from Amazon and found a nice padded case to store it in.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote