Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Possibly Buying TWO New Jayco Trailers!

Wow, what a whirlwind year it's been!

When we were kids our parents took us tent camping. That would be the big summer vacation for us in the mid 80's to early 90's. We always had fun. Years ago my parents neighbors had a large trailer and they would camp on the beach itself. This is going back about 15-20 years ago and my parents loved it. Alas, the neighbors moved away and that ended that story.

Fast forward to the spring of 2011. We take our trucks on the beach a few times a year and always see some campers on the beach or in the actual CG directly behind the dunes. Somehow the topic of buying a camper came up so we all went looking at the local dealership, which only sells Jayco. We loved the x17z but weren't crazy about the price. We didn't want to commit to a camper because we did not know how much use it would get and if it was a worthwhile purchase. We also didn't have a vehicle to tow anything too large. For any number of reasons, we didn't pull the plug in the spring of 2011.

We found out about the Hershey RV show and went last September. Within 5 minutes of walking into the show we spotted the x17z as Jayco was the first dealer at the entrance. The best part was that it was about 5-6K cheaper then back at home. We took it as a sign, although we did browse the other TT's in that class. We ended up comparing all th other TT's to the Jayco so a week later we were bringing it home.

It got used about 3 times in the month or so before it had to be winterized. It was a good learning experience for the 2012 season. 2012 was a great season. (and it's still going! lol) From April 20th until Halloween the camper was used just about every other weekend, if not more by different family members. I think we counted close to 90 nights in it. Not bad considering only about $2,000 has been applied towards the camper payment since we took it home!

This is a great little camper, but it's also not the best thing for the family. My brother has 2 boys and my sister has 3 kids. Ideally, the camper is really good for about 2-3 people which is perfect for my parents. The thing is, my Mom is not crazy about them having to open and close the bunk ends and having to make the beds upon arrival. They are also not fans of the single axle for safety reasons and the ground clearance for the dump station leaves much to be desired.

Seven of us attended the Hershey show last week and we went straight to the Jayco dealer. My brother wanted to get a bunkhouse model. We didn't know if everyone was going to chip in on a bigger bunkhouse model and sell the x17z or if we would just get the bunkhouse and keep the x17z. We found the 28DSBH and fell in love. That was the one for us. While we were at it, my parents went looking at the rear living room models with the giant rear window. They had just come back from camping at the beach, (not on the beach), and the rear living room model would have been PERFECT for them. Their site backed up to the beach and they had a clear view of the Atlantic. Once they saw the rear living room models, they got interested in them. They would have to upgrade their TV though. Because of that, they also considered the class c 31FS but it is cheaper to get a TT and TV then to get a class c.

So a few days later my brother is in the process of purchasing the 28DSBH and my parents are strongly considering the 27DSRL. Both trailers fit their individual needs perfectly. I think it's comical that just 13 months ago I thought the trailer conversation was dead. Now, just a few months later we bought a trailer and are possibly buying TWO more. Of course, we'd be looking to unload the x17z but I don't think we'd have a problem doing so. I have one or two people interested in it that I know personally and my parents have had notes left on the trailer at the CG by other campers asking if we are selling.

With that said, any idea what a used 2012 x17z should fetch? I've looked at rvtrader and it ranges from about 13k up to 17k for used 2012 models. We inquired about trading it in to purchase the larger trailer and they offered about 9K which seems low.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

I know exactly how you feel. We purchased a used (although it looked brand new) 2011 x23j this past April. We are already looking to sell it and go bigger! Good luck! the 28DSBH is one of the units we are looking into. Our dealer has one coming in in the next couple of weeks that we are going to look at.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I know exactly how you feel. We purchased a used (although it looked brand new) 2011 x23j this past April. We are already looking to sell it and go bigger! Good luck! the 28DSBH is one of the units we are looking into. Our dealer has one coming in in the next couple of weeks that we are going to look at.
Our local dealer only stock a handful of TT's so that's one of the reasons we go to the RV show. All along we were looking at the 29SQB online and were set on purchasing it, but unfortunately it wasn't there. The dealer said they don't stock it because people don't like the shallow slide and narrow beds as compared to the big bunk bed and deep slide of the 28DSBH.

We have to go back in a few days to pick it up!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Our local dealer only stock a handful of TT's so that's one of the reasons we go to the RV show. All along we were looking at the 29SQB online and were set on purchasing it, but unfortunately it wasn't there. The dealer said they don't stock it because people don't like the shallow slide and narrow beds as compared to the big bunk bed and deep slide of the 28DSBH.

We have to go back in a few days to pick it up!
Same here, only a handful in stock. The RV show in Boston is usually in February. Hopefully we will be able to see more. I also was interested in the 29SQB but my dealer quickly talked us out of it for the same reason. They also will not be getting any of those in stock.

Where on Long Island do you live? We lived in Manorville on Wading River Manor Rd for about a year.We would love to come back for some camping and wine touring. I haven't been back since we left in 2003.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

I guess I can see the point but we also liked the idea of having a separate bunk room for the kids. Oh well. We do like having the bathroom access from outside though which is not offered on the 29SQB. You have to move up to the 31' to get outside bathroom access and a bunk house playroom but that wasn't there either.

No biggie, I'm sure we'll be happy!

Grew up in Coram but living in Port Jeff now. We usually camp at Wildwood, Hither Hills but mostly Smith Point.