Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #21

We had some friends that recently bought a 5th wheel from RVone. Got a good deal and said they spent almost a day going through everything on the rig with them. They were happy. Then they went camping and had a major plumbing leak. Shower drain was not hooked up properly under the shower. Took several weeks to get that repaired. I don't think that wait time is too bad, considering the units they sell. Probably something that a young energetic owner could have fixed themselves in about 1 hours time. But as we get older, we just can't do those repairs anymore and you have to take it in. Then when they came camping with me, found out they still did not know what half the buttons and whistles were for on their unit. Not sure if they were not shown, or just simply forgot. Anyway, we went over every thing with them again we could find on their unit. Really a nice unit and they are happy. Just make sure you spend plenty of time on the PDI and take notes, if you are like me and my aging friends! LOL I"m sure RVone is as good as the rest of them. We actually bought a unit from them years ago when they were Bates RV and they treated us well. I think you will be extremely pleased with your unit.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

It is probably fair to say that few first time buyers, if any, can actually do a good PDI, even with a checklist in hand. More seasoned buyers are in a better position.

I don't really put much stock in a dealers representations. It may be true that buyers get cold feet, but it is also true that from time to time buyers end up with a unit with major problems and those buyers often say they pretty much relied on the dealer's prep and PDI process, and took it on good faith.

So somewhere in between is helpful, regardless.

It really is about risk minimization as to the potential for warranty problems and time spent with the rig in the shop. Of course, a trailer is different that a motorhome, so there is that as well.

Just as a note, when I do a warranty inspection on a unit, it is preferred to have it fully hooked up, as what is not hooked up can't be tested.

Note: the plumbing post is a good example of a partial PDI and the unfortunate result. On the other hand, diy owners tend to take their tools with them and do most of their own warranty work. If I need a part, just send it to me. Despite being an old fart, I can still do just about any of the work myself unless it needs a service bay or two people.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #23

RodgerS
Even though I only had my TT for two years we put over 7k miles and over 110 night in it. And now feel 100% I know it. When I do the demo with my unit I will be spending all the time with system operation since the cosmetic inspection was done along with most electrical. After the hours spent on Sunday I have a better understanding of where system controls are. I can see easily on how u can miss a bunch and than get frustrated. The plumbing system will be checked top to bottom for leaks. It seemed like every time I did a long tow on my TT stuff came loose like water connections and wire connections.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Hi Rock, yeah, these traveling homes are subjected to a lot of abuse from the roadways.

Many people don't realize the degree of preventative and ongoing maintenance that is needed to reduce problems during use, which are gonna happen anyway. I'm a big advocate of learning about ones electrical, propane, and plumbing systems and diy stuff.

It is a lot easier to rent a hotel room.

What is frustrating is looking at used motorhomes that often have been neglected by owners who either didn't care, didn't know, or just put cheap fixes in place.

Dealers are very fortunate that many, if not most of the customers, are not on top of their game.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

This came from some recent comments in an irv2.com Jayco forum as to RV One.

Originally Posted by U.
RV ONE does have a strange way of delivery. They insist you do all the paper work before you even do your inspection. Seems odd. They do offer the best price, most of the time. I just don't like paying for something before inspecting it. They are not the best at getting back to you after the sale either. I have a friend that has an issue with the shower, on a new Seneka, and he can't get them to return his phone calls. Just my .02 Good luck.

Response by D.
Paying before a PDI? Out of the question. The dealer from whom we purchased our current fifth wheel told me the same thing -- that is was his policy to collect before the PDI. I stood up and told him the deal was off and I expected my deposit back. He rescinded his statement, we did the PDI - for several hours - and had his tech make some repairs on issues we found before paying the balance.
Often low ball pricing is accompanied by inadequate service. That is the reputation our selling dealer had and it proved to be true.